HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 4:39 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm hoping Calgary. Someone has to be first.
Awe haha you rock man. It'll take a long time, but we have certainly headed that direction. As of 2018, 4 of our 5 (or 5 of 6 if you include the Beltline) of our downtown neighbourhoods now exceed their historic population highs. The only one that hasn't is the CBD, but it is definitely heading towards that quickly.

Combined as of the 2018 municipal census, the core area of Calgary (Downtown [CBD, EV, WE, Chinatown, Eau Claire], Beltline, Mission, and Lower Mount Royal) has a population of 53,522 across an area of 5.23 km2 (5.83 km2 if you include the unpopulated Stampede Park), with 18,605 of those residents in just downtown proper (1.8 km2). For reference, the "core area" as mentioned above is what absolutely everyone in this city calls "downtown" when referring to it in the sense of nightlife, restaurants, and other amenities. Just a little anecdotal fact I've noticed after living here almost 7 years.

Figures can be found here: http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...ce_booklet.PDF

Nowwwww... back to skyscrapers!

By me, earlier today.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 1:52 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Great update to share, these are turning out to be pretty sweet towers.
Only from a distance lol. The skyline looks great now, but the towers themselves are turning out pretty much how I expected. Give them a 4/10 so far, hopefully the lighting feature makes Stantec look good at night!

Is the Plaza well underway now, or is it still a hole in the ground? That's the most critical feature of Ice district I think, aside from the arena of course.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 8:01 PM
Community Guy

4/10 - man you need to take the Calgarian out of your ass.

Half of it is nearly ready, but the plaza needs the final tower (tower B) to be constructed before it can be completed and open, spring 2020.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 8:16 PM

4/10 is fair, especially considering I give Brookfield here a 6/10 and it's way nicer. Stantec is an ugly, boring building, sorry to not pump your tires there Cold, but Edmonton can (and does) do way better.

Look forward to checking out the area in person, perhaps I'll change my mind about the tower once I stand in the plaza and look up at it in person. It does look damn impressive on the skyline already though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 8:26 PM

Steel continuing to arrive at CIBC Square

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...1#post-1375016

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 9:18 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
4/10 is fair, especially considering I give Brookfield here a 6/10 and it's way nicer. Stantec is an ugly, boring building, sorry to not pump your tires there Cold, but Edmonton can (and does) do way better.

Look forward to checking out the area in person, perhaps I'll change my mind about the tower once I stand in the plaza and look up at it in person. It does look damn impressive on the skyline already though.
BP a 6?

Perspective I suppose, for BP to me is a 9.5 and Stantec perhaps an 8, JW 8.5.

#toughcritic

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
BP a 6?

Perspective I suppose, for BP to me is a 9.5 and Stantec perhaps an 8, JW 8.5.

#toughcritic
Brookfield is a 9.5? your standards are too low my friend. What would you rate Vancouver House? that's a 9.5 to me, Telus Sky is an 8.5 or a 9 and I give the Bow an 8. A 9.5 is a near perfect building, and a simple glass box does not qualify. Brookfield turned out better than I expected, and it contrasts well with Telus and the Bow, but it's still a glass box.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 11:37 PM
ARTchitecture

As an addendum to my previous post, Downtown has 1,864 residential units currently under construction (not including two office towers currently undergoing residential conversion), with another 3,523 units UC in the Beltline alone, for a total of 5,387 units currently UC. This figure doesn't include Mission or LMR.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 12:31 AM

Gunna really be fun watching CIBC Square going up. Condo's are cool but nothing like a good old office skyscraper

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post
Gunna really be fun watching CIBC Square going up. Condo's are cool but nothing like a good old office skyscraper
Probably going to be a decade before we get another one of those here especially since there are still only 2 or 3 floors in Brookfield occupied at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:43 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Only from a distance lol. The skyline looks great now, but the towers themselves are turning out pretty much how I expected. Give them a 4/10 so far, hopefully the lighting feature makes Stantec look good at night!

Is the Plaza well underway now, or is it still a hole in the ground? That's the most critical feature of Ice district I think, aside from the arena of course.
WTF...4/10 lmao.

No words......

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:49 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Brookfield is a 9.5? your standards are too low my friend. What would you rate Vancouver House? that's a 9.5 to me, Telus Sky is an 8.5 or a 9 and I give the Bow an 8. A 9.5 is a near perfect building, and a simple glass box does not qualify. Brookfield turned out better than I expected, and it contrasts well with Telus and the Bow, but it's still a glass box.
BP in my mind is incredible in its subtlety.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:54 AM
Fake News

I’d give Stantec a 5 or a 6. It’s bland and awkward and the louvers look really bad. For height and what it’s done for Edmonton’s skyline I’d give it better marks. On the design front though it’s very boring. I do like this version more than the first one though. The Marriott on the other hand is a really nice tower that I’d give a 7/10.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:56 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Just curious what bumps Vancouver House ahead of Telus Sky for you?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:57 AM
Fake News

Delete

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 13, 2018 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:18 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I meant my previous views on the Edmonton twins with respects to their quality and impact for the city, not necessarily their true architectural excellence. Even then, the architecture of the towers is a solid 6/10....with a preference for the hotel and residences. The downtown definitely has changed with this project, which is what makes me intrigued by these towers. I'm not talking greatly about the podium....which I still feel a bit iffy on, but I can't criticize much for this project is something I won't come up to and stare at physically for years to come.
Great to see more Calgary postings, Telus Sky is incredible.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Probably going to be a decade before we get another one of those here especially since there are still only 2 or 3 floors in Brookfield occupied at the moment.
You guys had a pretty good run there though, I would of loved to have something like The Bow to pop up in Toronto

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:57 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Yesterday

8. Massey Tower (Toronto): 208.3m / 683ft
[IMG]1536811842142 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]
9. Residences of 488 University Avenue (Toronto): 207m / 679ft
[IMG]DSC_8536 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 12:04 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Great shots, Toronto really needs more trees along its main arteries, like a hell of a lot more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada