HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Very disheartening so far.

I just don't understand it.
Easy to understand: HRC is among the most disliked Presidential candidates in history. A less toxic candidate would've won the general election easily. It's always going to be an uphill battle for a corrupt warmonger in bed with Wall Street to energize the Democratic voter base, and the result isn't really THAT surprising.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

People on SSP fail constantly to realize how many right wing people there are out there. They aren't the enemy, they want what's best for their country just like the left wing people do. How to get there is how they differ. Most people on this forum are centre left and will affiliate themselves with like minded people and hence conclude everyone thinks like them. The truth is the split has always been close to 50/50 and the swing votes and the vote that stays home has been what makes the difference most elections. Still lots of counting to do but it's good regardless of outcome to see people out doing their civic duty.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
People on SSP fail constantly to realize how many right wing people there are out there. They aren't the enemy, they want what's best for their country just like the left wing people do. How to get there is how they differ. Most people on this forum are centre left and will affiliate themselves with like minded people and hence conclude everyone thinks like them. The truth is the split has always been close to 50/50 and the swing votes and the vote that stays home has been what makes the difference most elections. Still lots of counting to do but it's good regardless of outcome to see people out doing their civic duty.
It's amazing how many parallels there are between this election and Reagan.

Reagan was a blue state republican actor, who Democrats labelled a bigoted racist sexist white supremacist who would destroy the country as president.

That was 36 years ago, and how far has the country come in it's politics?

36 years of calling every single Republican candidate a racist sexist bigot.

How is pretending 50% of the country is uneducated, racist & sexist over 36 years working out for the Democrats?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:34 AM

All I can say... just be a little patient here...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:43 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
The interesting thing with this election is the amount of hate! It is playing out like a tv drama. The thing is that people are voting for candidate not because they want one but because they cannot stand the other political candidate.

I think Donald will win this one!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Hold on, people!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:46 AM

NY Times currently has a 93% probability of a Trump win. Not sure when in the evening it will turn into the classic style of formal forecast...?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:52 AM

I predict it will be called for Trump at 11, when California polls close.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:52 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
People on SSP fail constantly to realize how many right wing people there are out there. They aren't the enemy...
What they are are idiots voting for a drooling loose cannon, a gameshow participant born with a silver spoon who has never told the truth or acted in anything other than a dishonourable way in his entire life, but hey, he's an outsider, so he "speaks" for them. Not like that criminal Hillary, who has been getting rich writing emails to her charity in Benghazi.

That's the Benghazi in Kenya, by the way. Where she was born.

How are you supposed to reason with a whole sector of society that voted for Bush (fucking twice!), then Palin, and now Trump? There's nothing subtle about this, and it's not a cry for help. Rather, it's a straight up declaration of mass psychosis, and they're damned well proud of it. The Democrats could have done lots of things better, and the coastal elites could have been a little less arrogant about the cretins in flyover country, because no one likes to be called a "deplorable," but we Canadians who live next door and feel such kinship with our neighbours so easily forget that Deliverance was as much a documentary as a fictional film.

Pointing out the niceties of the campaign that Clinton could have handled better seems like wanting to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic, as the cliche goes. How do you reason with Sarah Palin? Ann Coulter? Breitbart? Rally attendees chanting "lock her up?" At what point do you just throw up your hands and stand back as the troglodytes rush in to burn everything down?

I hope I'm just letting my disgust get the better of me, and that somehow the course will remain steady. But I fear that Friedman gets it right with the ominous tone in a column today.

Quote:
... if we don’t pull back from the madness that has become American politics — if we have another eight years like the last eight — we’re going to break this place.

I lived in the middle of a civil war in Lebanon. I saw what happens when people stop trusting one another. Your country goes backward — fast. And once the bonds of trust are lost, they are so hard to rebuild.

We are becoming like Sunnis and Shiites now — not rival parties anymore but rival tribes. Republican leaders have been speaking like Middle Eastern tribal chiefs: If we’re not in power, we just won’t allow anything to get done. That is exactly the stance the Shiite Hezbollah — “the Party of God” — has used to dominate Lebanon.

What produced all the anger that has propelled the Trump campaign? I believe it has much less to do with trade or income gaps and much more to do with culture and a lost sense of “home.” America’s becoming a minority-majority country has threatened the sense of community of many middle-class whites, and the fact that we’re in the midst of a dizzying whirlwind of technological change has threatened their economic status as well, and left many people feeling unanchored.

Women’s empowerment, which Hillary Clinton embodies, also threatens many less-educated white men. Donald Trump, presenting himself as The Strongman, promised he could build walls to contain all of these changes. A shocking number of Americans fell for it. But Trump had help.

In recent years, making people angry, sowing mistrust among Americans and delegitimizing our national institutions in Washington became good business — and good politics — on the right. Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin and other radio and TV fearmongers have been deliberately making people angry and mistrustful, and gotten rich doing so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/op...pan-abc-region

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
NY Times currently has a 93% probability of a Trump win. Not sure when in the evening it will turn into the classic style of formal forecast...?
I assume their compass is flawed because it assumes at this point that the west coast, with 74 electoral college votes, does not exist.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume their compass is flawed because it assumes at this point that the west coast, with 74 electoral college votes, does not exist.
That's because with the way things look now, those votes don't matter. This is similar to Trudeau winning with Ontario and everything east.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Democrats made a massive strategic failure by sabotaging Sanders in the primaries for golden girl Clinton.

Americans have spoken very loudly that they wanted an outsider. Sanders would have mopped the floor with Trump.

Democrats are sleeping in the bed they made for themselves.
Have you ever looked at the details of Sanders's policies and how he planned on paying for all the "free" goodies he was promising? His huge proposed tax increases would have scared away a significant majority of voters.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:04 AM

Quote:
It's amazing how many parallels there are between this election and Reagan.

Reagan was a blue state republican actor, who Democrats labelled a bigoted racist sexist white supremacist who would destroy the country as president.

That was 36 years ago, and how far has the country come in it's politics?

36 years of calling every single Republican candidate a racist sexist bigot.

How is pretending 50% of the country is uneducated, racist & sexist over 36 years working out for the Democrats?
I am left leaning, but I am one of the few I know that while I wish he was never president, I don't hate George Bush or think he is the devil. I have often worried about liberals crying wolf over every candidate. That said Trump does honestly scare me in a way past Republican candidates have not. Hence many high level Republicans themselves have spoken out against him.

But I do agree, calling everyone racists and sexist has only been a disservice when an honestly racist and sexist candidate emerges. Trump seriously picked the best time to run, when enough people had become fed up with the ultra SJW PC police crap to vote for someone who claims to be anti PC, but is actually just a big asshole.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's because with the way things look now, those votes don't matter. This is similar to Trudeau winning with Ontario and everything east.
Could be, though Clinton now leads in electoral votes.

Looks like Florida is now a hopeless case for Clinton. All of the areas where she was strongest now have almost 100% of their votes in and Trump is too far ahead.

Pennsylvania and Virginia look like the only key states Clinton has won or is almost certain to win.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I am left leaning, but I am one of the few I know that while I wish he was never president, I don't hate George Bush or think he is the devil. I have often worried about liberals crying wolf over every candidate. That said Trump does honestly scare me in a way past Republican candidates have not. Hence many high level Republicans themselves have spoken out against him.

But I do agree, calling everyone racists and sexist has only been a disservice when an honestly racist and sexist candidate emerges. Trump seriously picked the best time to run, when enough people had become fed up with the ultra SJW PC police crap to vote for someone who claims to be anti PC, but is actually just a big asshole.
You've just summed up very nicely how I feel about a lot of these things.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:08 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

I would consider myself pretty centrist overall but as much as Trump is an a-hole, I can't stand Hillary and everything she represents, damn corporate puppet...

It's been heartbreaking watching the US decline into a mere fiefdom for corporate interests, it used to be such a beacon of aspiration for much of the world, now it's just a punchline.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:09 AM

Sorry guys... just couldn't help myself...

Quote:
BCFerrys

All vessels are on standby for possible mass evacuation of USA on Tuesday night.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:16 AM

He's leading in enough states. Trump has this won.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:18 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Sorry guys... just couldn't help myself...
Those people are all talk especially the movie stars and rock stars.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 4:22 AM

I wonder if Bloomberg regrets not running.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada