HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
What it most likely means it that exterior construction will be done at that time and it will be ready to turn over to tenants for build out. Usually takes an additional 90days before they are ready to open. Not a fan of this type of development but it is market appropriate.
Ah, I see.

They should be starting soon considering the projected 18 month construction period. If it is complete, lets just say, on the last day of fall, 2011, that means that it will start construction in June.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 7:50 PM

so anyone heard any news on this project

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 9:37 PM

They have updated their website for it a few times but nothing much heard. I heard council passed it in principle though. Sounds like they like it.

http://www.shapeproperties.com/project_abby.html

Last edited by Sonicwolf; May 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 12:30 AM

If you go on their web site they have a video up, its pretty good. I like the design of it, personally I prefer indoor malls but this should be great for this area of abbotsford

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:21 AM

yay for walmart!

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:09 AM

they are doing another one at the other end of abbotsford - it has thrifty foods says fall 2009 posession - is it done now?

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 8:10 AM

In all honesty I think this development is leaps and bounds above the average big box development and is actually quite compact and smartly designed. If you watch the vid it looks as though there is very little surface parking and a decent amount of landscaping, and the entire development is built on top of a layer of parking at grade like the Ikea in Coquitlam. The only thing this site needs is some residential density mixed in.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are doing another one at the other end of abbotsford - it has thrifty foods says fall 2009 posession - is it done now?
It wont be opening until September... That is, that's what I have heard.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Kick-starting Projects

By Grant Granger - Abbotsford News
Published: June 25, 2010 3:00 PM

After some success with the strategy in small pockets, the city plans to kick-start development in all of Abbotsford with a municipal tax break for developers.

It could, however, come at a cost to city coffers, at least in the short term.

On Monday, council approved a city-wide revitalization tax exemption (RTE). It’s a three-year window to stimulate development by reducing, on a sliding scale, municipal general taxes on projects for five years.

Industrial area improvements or new projects must be worth at least $1 million, and completed within one year of starting construction. Commercial development’s minimum threshold is $10 million and must also be of superior urban design, have 70 per cent of retail parking within the structure or underground, and provide two per cent of the space for public amenities.

In return, the owners get a 100 per cent discount on general municipal property taxes for the project (school and utilities taxes still must be paid) for one year. The discount will be reduced 20 per cent annually until the full rate is being paid in the sixth year.

The city has previously introduced RTEs for historic downtown and the Abbotsford Airport.

“What we’ve found is it is a difference maker,” said Jay Teichroeb, the city’s general manager economic development and planning.

Despite the discount, Teichroeb said Abbotsford taxpayers benefit in the long run with an expanded tax base.

“Even in year two they’re paying 20 per cent of their tax obligation, and that’s 20 per cent, in theory, that we otherwise wouldn’t have had.”

One potential beneficiary, said Teichroeb, is the proposed Abby Lane shopping centre – now being called High Street by its developers, Shape Properties – at the Mount Lehman interchange. A development permit has yet to been taken out for the 20-acre project that is expected to have Walmart as its anchor tenant and cost at least $175 million to build.

He speculated if the concept Shape has proposed went ahead without the RTE, the city would receive upwards of $1.5 million.

Although he’s not worried if the project will proceed, it’s a question of when. He’d rather it be sooner than later and an RTE might provide “a significant incentive” to speed up the process.

“I don’t think they’d ever scrap it, but there’s a danger it could be deferred,” said Teichroeb. “It’s hundreds of jobs during construction. It’s hundreds, if not into the four figures, in terms of employment once the project is completed.

“It’s quite clear, this project, if it’s $175 million, is going to have huge economic spinoff in the city.”

He said there are dozens of applications working their way through the rezoning and permit process, but the economy and market conditions could be slowing construction start-up.

Last week, he announced Golden Valley Foods will be building a 74,000-square-foot, $20-million agricultural complex on Mount Lehman Road, and although it would likely go ahead even if the city wasn’t offering an RTE, it would likely qualify for one.

Mayor George Peary pointed out at Monday’s council meeting that companies will still have to pay full fare for development cost charges.

“Yes, we’re going to take a hit initially (on taxes), but these businesses will be here for a long time,” said Peary.
Im hoping this goes through soon.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
Im hoping this goes through soon.
Im guessing they (Shape Properties) want to finish up with parallel marketplace before they get going on this development. either way, the tax break is definitely positive.....yay Abbotsford

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 6:06 AM

I think city council approved the development permit for this project.

http://www.abbotsford.ca/Assets/Abbo...+City+Page.pdf

"Shape West Marketplace"

Well the company is called Shape Properties and this project is under their "Abbotsford West" name... Hopefully that's right. Nothing else anywhere about some "Shape West Marketplace".

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Retail behemoth breaks ground
Published: August 04, 2010 12:00 PM

B.C.'s largest retail development in 30 years will break ground in Mount Lehman on Thursday.

The "Highstreet" development will be a 600,000 square foot regional shopping centre on 20 acres at the north-east corner of the recently completed Mt. Lehman and Highway 1 interchange in West Abbotsford.

A Walmart Super Centre and London Drugs will be the anchor tenants of this three-level development.

The primary trading area will be Abbotsford and Aldergrove, with its 171,028 population, according to the 2006 census. Secondary trading area is Chilliwack, Fort Langley, Harrison Hot Springs and Hope, with its population of 91,173.

The developers are Shape Properties, a real estate investment and development company based in Vancouver. Formed in 2005, Shape Properties has become the most active fully-integrated developer in western Canada. Information on the company and this project is available at the website www.shapeproperties.com

Abbotsford Mayor George Peary and Shape Properties president John Horton will host a groundbreaking ceremony at 2 p.m.. on Aug. 5.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar.../99965134.html

Oh sweet merciful crap! I am now excited.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 2:59 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

great news on the project and for abby!

buuutttttt "B.C.'s largest retail development in 30 years" I dunno about that. i mean Metrotown (old eatons center) is 24 years old.......

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 9:24 AM

what about grandview corners in surrey?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 2:21 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
what about grandview corners in surrey?
agreed I thought the same thing ... but it is 2 separate projects no?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 6:37 AM

i think there have been multiple phases but the whole thing is known as one area if you look at this site
http://www.grandviewcorners.ca/
and that doesnt include morgan crossing area which is a complete different project

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 7:48 AM

I think it's about time the OP changes the details of this project, the name and the fact that it's under construction...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 9:27 AM

From the Sun:

Quote:
Abbotsford to get new high-end entertainment complex
Vancouver Sun
January 20, 2011

A new entertainment complex will be built in Abbotsford, Cineplex Entertainment announced today.

The Abbotsford theatre will be about 43,000 square feet and will have 11 screens and 1,950 seats. The theatre will include digital projection, RealD 3D technology, three VIP Cinemas and one UltraAVX auditorium. Cineplex Odeon Abbotsford and VIP Cinemas will be the first newly built theatre in British Columbia to offer VIP Cinemas. The theatre is schedule to open in 2012.

The VIP Cinema includes an exclusive box office and concession stand, a private licensed lounge and in-theatre reserved seating on oversized seats. In-seat service for concession items is also available.

Cineplex Entertainment and SHAPE Properties Corp. will develop the Abbotsford property as part of the new Highstreet lifestyle centre.

“Cineplex is a tremendous addition to our new retail entertainment complex,” said Graeme Johnson, executive vice-president, Leasing, SHAPE Properties. “The theatre is sure to attract local residents and visitors from nearby communities to enjoy Hollywood movies and the latest entertainment offered by Cineplex.”

New complexes will also be built in Edmonton, Alberta and Chatham, Ontario, and each theatre will feature the latest digital and RealD 3D technology, Cineplex Entertainment said in a news release.

“We are pleased to bring cutting edge entertainment complexes to these great communities,” said Ellis Jacob, president and Chief Executive Officer, Cineplex Entertainment. “We look forward to delivering excellent guest service at each of our innovative new theatres.”

The custom-designed theatres will use the latest audio, visual, digital and RealD 3D technology in addition to offering UltraAVX. “ An UltraAVX auditorium features a screen significantly larger on average than our traditional screens, superb Dolby Digital 7.1 surround sound, extra-wide high back rocker seats and reserved seating,” Cineplex Entertainment said in the release. “Guests love the reserved seating option as it allows them to select their specific seat when purchasing a ticket. There are currently 11 UltraAVX locations across Canada with many more opening in 2011.”

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 12:00 PM

I've probably already mentioned my opposition to this project. Although I've sort of given up now that the shovels have hit the ground, the renders did raise an eyebrow.

Now... I have to ask... what is with mall designs these days? Most of the new and recent ones do not look enclosed, which seems illogical given Vancouver's typically rainy and windy climate. Then again, I guess the tenants want exposure... and these new stores still manage to catch business during many types of weather... at least for now.

Even with the recent success of open-air malls, I have to speculate... the trend in the past was for malls to be enclosed.... Now they should be open, but as I mentioned it is still a trend, and a possibly volatile one at that. So if and when it swings back towards closed malls, what will happen to these developments? (shrug) = \

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 12:14 PM

. . .And the suburbanization of Abbotsford continues unabated, which is a shame given the relative dearth of viable city centers outside of Vancouver proper - compared to, say, Toronto's metro area, which boasts several: Hamilton, Oakville, Burlington, and (after the extension of GO train service) Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley