HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:37 PM

Meh... I was expecting this to happen anyway as a side-effect of the Highway 1 upgrades in Abbotsford. As for the future... hopefully city officials can think twice about the effects of suburbanization... although they usually don't when they see money being dangled in front. =O

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I've probably already mentioned my opposition to this project. Although I've sort of given up now that the shovels have hit the ground, the renders did raise an eyebrow.

Now... I have to ask... what is with mall designs these days? Most of the new and recent ones do not look enclosed, which seems illogical given Vancouver's typically rainy and windy climate. Then again, I guess the tenants want exposure... and these new stores still manage to catch business during many types of weather... at least for now.

Even with the recent success of open-air malls, I have to speculate... the trend in the past was for malls to be enclosed.... Now they should be open, but as I mentioned it is still a trend, and a possibly volatile one at that. So if and when it swings back towards closed malls, what will happen to these developments? (shrug) = \
old style malls have lost their traditional anchors - department stores, building them this way allows them to still have a large mall with many shops and services and makes it easier for shoppers to dash into the stores they want instead of having to go through the whole things
its not that bad i like the two outdoor malls in surrey and university village in seattle is my favourite seattle area mall

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Even with the recent success of open-air malls, I have to speculate... the trend in the past was for malls to be enclosed.... Now they should be open, but as I mentioned it is still a trend, and a possibly volatile one at that. So if and when it swings back towards closed malls, what will happen to these developments? (shrug) = \
They can evolve.
Oakridge was originally an outdoor mall - it was enclosed in the late 1980s.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 10:06 PM

i used to shop at oakridge in 87 and it was enclosed at that point i never saw it as an open air mall was surprised to hear it had been in reading about its history a while back

brentwood mall also used to be an outdoor mall when it first opened than they enclosed it with the fancy tent roof - i don't know when i guess sometime in the 80's

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:27 AM

Brentwood was enclosed even before the tent roof too - I think the tent roof went on in the early 90s? They also added the second level at that time too. I remember that Brentwood was only one level, with maybe offices upstairs.
Each mall must have gone through a few sets of renovations.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:35 AM

yeah the only reno i can remember living through is the addition of london drugs

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:52 PM

Construction Updates?

Anyone been by there lately? Construction pics?

I was impressed with the level of design on this project and am excited to see it start to take "shape"

Thanks

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i used to shop at oakridge in 87 and it was enclosed at that point i never saw it as an open air mall was surprised to hear it had been in reading about its history a while back
Oakridge was enclosed in 1984, so you only just missed it. The rear galleria was the original outdoor mall. You can sort of tell that the glass roof was retrofitted.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast79 View Post
Anyone been by there lately? Construction pics?

I was impressed with the level of design on this project and am excited to see it start to take "shape"

Thanks
The land is cleared and fenced off. I believe they will be starting digging and pouring soon.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
The land is cleared and fenced off. I believe they will be starting digging and pouring soon.
Thanks Sonicwolf. You saved me a trip out there.

I'd like to see it progress once construction starts.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 1:29 AM

any progress yet?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 3:01 AM

Still prep work from what I saw from across Hwy 1.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 6:44 PM

Hello,

New to this forum, though I've lurked in the past. I pass by this project all the time when heading out into the field for work, so I can give updates. It has been pre-loading for some time now, but about 2 weeks ago they started to pour concrete columns in the area where the Walmart will be (SE corner).

One interesting thing of note; I'd assumed some of the pre-loading material was going to be removed. The entire eastern side is between 10 and 20 feet above street level. The site plan shows an entrance along this side to the bottom level (parking + WalMart), and the entrances along the northern side that alternate going up to second level and down to the bottom level of parking. I thus assumed the bottom level would be slightly below ground, which would still put the Walmart at ground level as their is a gradual slope to the south. However, the columns are being erected on the existing pre-loading, so the mall will tower over their neighbours. It appears that the ramp to the east used by the dump trucks delivering fill will become a ramp up from the street into the bottom level.

I can take pictures throughout construction; the question is how often would people like photo updates?

Last edited by Flash604; Jul 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 9:40 PM

Flash604,

I'd be interested in update pics whenever something substantial is new on site. I'm on the other side of town and don't typically get a good look at the site when I'm driving past it on Highway 1.

This project looks great! I'm looking forward to it being completed.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:22 PM
BANNED

I was out in Abbotsford this past weekend and snapped several pics of the progress on this project. Which is rocketing out of the ground by the way.
I am having one hell of a time trying to get them up on this page. Anyone willing to let me email them to you so you can post please. I have been trying since Monday with no luck.

Cheers
Peterprinciple

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:33 PM

imageshack.us

Its pretty easy to use.

Select your picture, upload it, use the "forum code" and put it directly into the text here.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
imageshack.us

Its pretty easy to use.

Select your picture, upload it, use the "forum code" and put it directly into the text here.
Thanks LC - working on it now...images coming shortly.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:24 PM
BANNED

High Street Town Centre Abbotsford BC

Last edited by peterprinciple; Oct 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM. Reason: changing album pic sizes

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:57 PM
BANNED

High Street Pics 10/10/2011

http://imageshack.us/g/853/p1020715r.jpg/

Having trouble with imageshack...just signed up...sorry.
Will upload correct size images here shortly

Last edited by peterprinciple; Oct 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM. Reason: error

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 5:14 PM

I dont understand how you are having so much trouble. You shouldnt even need to sign up for an account.

1. Go to: imageshack.us

2. Click browse.

3. Select your photo

4. Click "upload now"

5. copy "fourm code" into SSP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley