HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:16 PM
Change is good

Edmonton Area Regional Transit

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0-1d2bc65e896a

GO trains touted for capital region

LRT links to Spruce Grove, Leduc would offer sustainable, affordable lifestyles, says expert

Trish Audette, The Edmonton Journal with files from the Calgary Herald

Published: 2:31 am
EDMONTON - Tentative plans to speed up transportation between Alberta's major cities and their bedroom communities -- perhaps by stretching light rail train tracks to places like Spruce Grove or Leduc -- are key to striking a balance between sustainable lifestyles and affordable ones, a Toronto-based expert says.
"If you do commuter transit like GO Transit, you can have the best of both worlds," said Baher Abdulhai, the Canada Research Chair in Intelligent Transportation Systems.
GO trains wind through an 8,000-square kilometre area and move more than five million people every day between Toronto's downtown core and nearby cities such as Hamilton, Guelph and Oshawa.

On Tuesday, Premier Ed Stelmach announced $2 billion will go to the province's transit systems as part of the government's bid to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The goal, he said, is to take the equivalent of one million cars off the road.
Since then, the premier has made clear a Calgary-Edmonton rail link is "further down the road." The priority is moving people around the two metro areas with more ease.
"Without developing a good transit system within the areas of Calgary and Edmonton, the commuter rail between the two communities won't be as successful," he said. "Our focus will be co-operation. I want to see communities working with each other so that we can reach out to the growth areas."
Stelmach said he plans to see commuter train service expand beyond Calgary, for sure. "It will work because we will make it work."
Edmonton politicians expect the new transportation funding to be shared equitably.
"I don't think we need to make it more sexy, more innovative," Mayor Stephen Mandel said earlier this week. "We shouldn't need to be worried about what Calgary does."
But Jim Lightbody, an University of Alberta professor and expert in urban politics, called plans to expand light rail transit in the Edmonton area infeasible.
"The reality is very simple. Light rail transit requires passenger volume," he said Thursday.
"The wisest option would not be to reinvent public transit. We do not need grandiose blue-sky dreaming."
Instead of light rail, Lightbody said, the city needs better bus routes between Edmonton and its bedroom communities. "What you have in the Toronto metropolitan area is people who are happy to live in Mississauga," and work in the downtown core's financial area, he said.
The mayor of Leduc, however, said his community would provide those commuters. The international airport is expected to be a hub for LRT service at some point. "We have quite a bit of trouble getting workers out to the airport specifically," Mayor Greg Krischke said. "Light rail eventually might be an option (although) I think it might be a little premature." In the next few years, though, Krischke anticipates more and more people will want to leave their vehicles behind.
Edmonton city councillor Don Iveson said Thursday he anticipates Edmonton's transit system will look different than Toronto's. Rather than an express system taking people from outlying areas into the centre and back again, he sees a system that looks like a "spider web" and connects smaller communities, too.
with files from the Calgary Herald
taudette@thejournal.canwest.com

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:19 PM
Community Guy

I like personally believe that regional transit wont be successful because of many factors like the Iraq.

Honestly...the city of Edmonton cannot even support public transit well enough and now you think people in Spruce Grove will walk or drive to a station, wait, board a train, get into our city and then have to navigate transit to their place of work?

again...set the ideas in place for the future...but this isnt something we should be doing near term.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:28 PM
Change is good

When I used to live in Spruce Grove, there was full bus loads of people taking the 197 from Spruce Grove. A commuter train could easily run to downtown, had we NOT REMOVED all the tracks from downtown. LOL

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:29 PM

GO trains to where? The via station by the muni? Whatever.

I don't really remember the discussions surrounding the removal of our downtown rail lines.

On the one hand it provided lots of space for GMAC, really helped the connection between Oliver and downtown, should help with the north edge, and Oliver Square (for all its faults) has made the core area more liveable for the last decade (even if we'll regret it for the next decade).

But removing those lines basically doomed any future commuter rail (not to mention surrendering what could have been nice WLRT ROW to suburban stripmall).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:33 PM
Community Guy

Focus on creating our LRT system to be actually functional then branch lines into those communities....

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:39 PM
Big Dog

All that talk about "cooperation" and running lines between bedroom communities kind of makes me chuckle. Unless the province actually steps in and says "we're building this rail line from here to here" it's not gonna happen.

Do they really expect the communities to take their share of the money and then team up with their neighbours to build connecting rail lines?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 8:36 PM

The full LRT shouldn't be pushed out to these communities anyways. Force a transfer, a single track O-Train connection out to these communities with at best is all that is needed. Otherwise, as long as the LRT gets out to the Henday, you ban ring community buses anywhere further into the city than the outlying stations. From there the urbs can build some Talent DMU lines.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:11 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I agree. Places that are futher outlying like Spruce Grove or Leduc need O-train style DMU service, not full fledged LRT. Electric trains and their more expensive infrastructure need to be limited to more developed areas, where they can be the transit backbone of the city.

Having said that, I don't think it would be that hard or expensive to re-establish the CN lines to the downtown since the ROW's are still in place with the exception of Railtown and Oliver Square. Even then, I'm sure an alternative could be created by using 105th Avenue and perhaps a short commuter cut and cover tunnel down the Railtown Park ROW...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:29 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ or build a ginormous rail overpass over Railtown Wouldnt make it any worse! ok im done Im done

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton