HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:40 PM

Connect400 route is determined (rest of article is behind paywall):

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...extension.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM

Updates on the Streetcar/Beltline Transit planned line operations:

Beltline Center Loop:

Crosstown Inner Loop:

Crosstown Outer Loop:

Crosstown Peachtree Line:

Crosstown Midtown Line:

Crosstown Crescent Line:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 4:57 PM
AK

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:53 PM

I hope they go for a more brighter interior like in the new buses or even like the streetcar. The yellowish color inside the trains makes them look dirty even when they aren't

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 9:11 PM

I've often wondered if the cars with the blue interior were newer than the others and if so, why didn't Marta continue to use that color scheme in subsequent refurbished cars.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I've often wondered if the cars with the blue interior were newer than the others and if so, why didn't Marta continue to use that color scheme in subsequent refurbished cars.
Blue seat cars are new. Brown ones used to have carpet (gross!!) and for some reason the last refurb added TV's that don't really work at all. The new buses are very nice and even have a display on the back to show you which bus you just missed

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:35 PM

BeltLine proposes planning for Streetcar Extension in new Budget

http://saportareport.com/atlanta-bel...tcar-planning/

Quote:
Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. has proposed a budget for the upcoming year that’s 27 percent larger than the current budget. Money is provided to design an extension of the Atlanta Streetcar, figure out how to connect the BeltLine to MARTA, build a park, and extend the Eastside and Westside trails.

Transit and Transportation – $8.8 million, including $3 million to design a 1.5-mile extension of the Atlanta Streetcar eastward along the Auburn Avenue corridor toward Krog Street, where the Streetcar would dead-end at the BeltLine.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Mayor Reed just announced the Streetcar will remain free through the end of 2015.
Really? Is that free of charge? I thought they still have to pay?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Really? Is that free of charge? I thought they still have to pay?
Nobody has to pay. It's a sentient streetcar that has donated it's services to us for as long as we keep it happy. Let's keep it happy!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 11:31 AM

Atlanta seeking $29.3 million grant to extend streetcar to BeltLine

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...to-extend.html

Quote:
Atlanta is applying for a $29.3 million federal grant to extend Atlanta Streetcar tracks on Edgewood Avenue to the Irwin Street entrance of the Atlanta BeltLine. Less than a mile separates the areas.
The TIGER 7 grant application outlines a project that would add 1.8 miles of track (round trip) to the existing Atlanta Streetcar at a total cost of $65.4 million.

The cost would include the acquisition of two new modern streetcars, three new stations, and an additional traction power substation.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 8:33 AM

MARTA to make an $8 billion pitch to change the face of Atlanta

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-r...the-fac/nmw3Q/

Quote:
Over the next seven months, the people at MARTA will quietly button-hole local leaders and state lawmakers — top Republicans included — with the aim of building support for an $8 billion expansion of commuter rail that would transform the region.

The future of metro Atlanta could become startlingly linear — a single file of major economic development up and down what is now Georgia 400, built along a rail line that would link Alpharetta with downtown Atlanta and its airport beyond.

The biggest public works package in decades would have other elements as well. In DeKalb County, there would be a rail link to Emory University and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, plus another line shooting eastward along I-20. Within the city of Atlanta, the Beltline awaits.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 2:16 AM

Quote:
plus another line shooting eastward along I-20
Show me the cost/benefit on that one.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:34 AM
AK

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:01 PM

MARTA is starting a study to determine the feasibility of using the Norfolk Southern existing freight lines to provide passenger service via building an adjacent track on railroad right of way exclusive to MARTA use.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...n-studies.html

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:37 PM

Amtrak in talks for new station at GM plant site

Not much information in the article but obviously this would be a location that would provide better connectivity for Amtrak travelers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...lant-site.html

Quote:
Amtrak has entered discussion with state transit officials and a major railroad to put a new station on the former site of the Doraville General Motors plant.

The discussions come two years after efforts fell through to relocate Atlanta’s historic Amtrak station at Brookwood on Peachtree Street.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 8:33 PM

Official MARTA expansion plans are out:

https://cmgajccommuting.files.wordpr...12-15-2015.pdf

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Official MARTA expansion plans are out:

https://cmgajccommuting.files.wordpr...12-15-2015.pdf
Holy crap, implementing 10 minute bus service on all those ART routes would be amazing. Potential game changer for MARTA bus service.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 10:58 PM

Hello! Long-time voyeur, first-time poster. Out of curiosity, did anybody see what happened to SB 313 (bill to simply allow a referendum for 1/2 penny sales tax to fund MARTA expansion in Fulton/DeKalb) the day after it was introduced? Apparently it was assigned to the State and Local Government Operations Committee (nicknamed SLO-GO; no I'm not making this up) instead of the Senate Transportation Committee. To boot, this committee is headed by a "skeptical Senate chairman", as reported by the AJC. Is this really not even going to make it to referendum? Seriously? I've lived here for almost 12 years and have very low expectations of our reactionary state leadership. However, I actually thought enough of the business community was behind this to at least force them to allow a vote. Does anybody have any further insight on this matter?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkatl View Post
Hello! Long-time voyeur, first-time poster. Out of curiosity, did anybody see what happened to SB 313 (bill to simply allow a referendum for 1/2 penny sales tax to fund MARTA expansion in Fulton/DeKalb) the day after it was introduced? Apparently it was assigned to the State and Local Government Operations Committee (nicknamed SLO-GO; no I'm not making this up) instead of the Senate Transportation Committee. To boot, this committee is headed by a "skeptical Senate chairman", as reported by the AJC. Is this really not even going to make it to referendum? Seriously? I've lived here for almost 12 years and have very low expectations of our reactionary state leadership. However, I actually thought enough of the business community was behind this to at least force them to allow a vote. Does anybody have any further insight on this matter?
That's the frustrating thing about it. The business community has been pushing for action for at least decade to do something about transportation in Atlanta but it seems but the state leadership office holders cannot see beyond the next election. I guess Atlanta used up all of its visionary leadership in the last century.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkatl View Post
There was some sort of filing error that caused it to be assigned to that committee (whether out of malice or not I can't say). Brandon Beach (sponsor) retracted and is refiling to get it sent to the Transportation committee, SB 330.

http://commuting.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...te-marta-bill/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta