HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 10:52 PM

^ Another reason why the 12-2 plan (now dead) should've happened.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 9:40 PM

Good news regarding the proposed flatiron style skyscraper at Wilshire & Gayley... it now has city council's blessing.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...blvd_tower.php

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 10:15 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Good news regarding the proposed flatiron style skyscraper at Wilshire & Gayley... it now has city council's blessing.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...blvd_tower.php
Hell yeahs. I sort of love this building. This is great.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 11:24 PM

That's one of my favorites in this thread. Good to see it's rolling right along. Although something seems to be missing...maybe a better crown?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:00 AM
Ascension

Lol. What? You want a pastry on it? Or how about a funnel cake?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 7:14 PM
BANNED

No complaints allowed on this one. Nice design, good height, famous architect, at transit, fits neighborhood. It even blocks view of lesser buildings. Traffic is already so bad that I don't even count the slight additional traffic around it as a negative.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Or red neon up the sides. wah wahhhhh.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Maybe a powder blue graphic "UCLA" signature that gradually signs itself.

Or a sign for the Valleyites and South Bay residents on the 405: If you lived here, you would be home.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:41 AM
BANNED

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...s_approved.php

Curbed also reported that the city has bought off on a large surface parking lot for Fresh and Easy at Crenshaw and 52nd. Apparently the community was OK with the parking lot except for one small group (who I actually sympathize with, but apparently did not have local popular or political support).

My main point is that Crenshaw is low density, almost entirely single story, and I see no trend away from that. That's why I can't support spending money on the Crenshaw Line.

Crenshaw at Exposition, near the Expo Line, will have roof parking on the Target (last I heard) because that area (and all along the Expo Line, more or less) does support multi-level, transit-oriented use.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:50 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlossi View Post
Or red neon up the sides. wah wahhhhh.
My neon stripes kick ass.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:58 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...s_approved.php

Curbed also reported that the city has bought off on a large surface parking lot for Fresh and Easy at Crenshaw and 52nd. Apparently the community was OK with the parking lot except for one small group (who I actually sympathize with, but apparently did not have local popular or political support).

My main point is that Crenshaw is low density, almost entirely single story, and I see no trend away from that. That's why I can't support spending money on the Crenshaw Line.

Crenshaw at Exposition, near the Expo Line, will have roof parking on the Target (last I heard) because that area (and all along the Expo Line, more or less) does support multi-level, transit-oriented use.
I was slightly sickened by that rendering. Everything about that place is exactly what we should be moving away from right now; one story, huge parking, single use, stucco, ugly. Oh, well. I suppose if that place is currently a surface parking lot, having one building is a better option, but still. Ick.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:34 AM
BANNED

It did seem a bit 1950's even if 52nd/Crenshaw is suburban in its overall constructed look (wide street, sfh, low-rise). But, it's the locals who should be deciding what they want in their neighborhood, generally speaking.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 3:10 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
It did seem a bit 1950's even if 52nd/Crenshaw is suburban in its overall constructed look (wide street, sfh, low-rise). But, it's the locals who should be deciding what they want in their neighborhood, generally speaking.
The problem is, the locals are often idiots. For example, all that fuss about the Purple Line going through Beverly Hills. I mean, come on, just get over yourselves and build the damn thing!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Some sort of glass crown, maybe? I just think it abruptly stopping with a flat roof, rather than gradually shrinking like The Century tower, is less attractive. I don't know. But that's just me.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Some sort of glass crown, maybe? I just think it abruptly stopping with a flat roof, rather than gradually shrinking like The Century tower, is less attractive. I don't know. But that's just me.
Count me in the anti-crown crowd for this one. I love spires and crowns normally, but I don't think this one needs it. Its disctinctiveness comes from its narrow triangular profile, like the flatiron building. It speaks for itself without any additional adornments. Just one pundit's opinion though

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:25 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Count me in the anti-crown crowd for this one. I love spires and crowns normally, but I don't think this one needs it. Its disctinctiveness comes from its narrow triangular profile, like the flatiron building. It speaks for itself without any additional adornments. Just one pundit's opinion though
A copper peaked roof would be nice. When copper turns green, it looks really pretty, and very nice on a traditional building like this one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 5:47 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Hollywood News

It seems like it has taken forever but it looks like Cirque du Soleil's "Iris" is finally coming to the Kodak Theater this coming Summer:

Quote:
COMING SUMMER 2011

Movies in a whole new light This new production from Cirque du Soleil is a lyrical, fanciful, kinetic foray into the seventh art. Bringing together dance, acrobatics, live video, filmed sequences and animation, the show takes spectators on a fantastic voyage through the history of cinema and its genres, taking them into the heart of the movie-making process. From illustration to...

http://www.kodaktheatre.com/events.htm

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:02 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Hollywood News

I am pretty sure the new Rolling Stone Restaurant/Bar has opened or is opening real soom. I suppose I will reluctantly check it out at some point... maybe I will be pleasantly surprised:

Quote:

Whoa, here it comes. The behemoth that encompasses Rolling Stone restaurant and lounge at Hollywood & Highland (aka RS/LA), the first-ever licensing of the Rolling Stone name for an American restaurant. While the soft opening isn't scheduled until next month with the official launch happening over Grammy weekend, RS/LA held a pre-soft launch on November 21, hosting the VIP afterparty for the American Music Awards. Up above, a glimpse into the colorful multi-floored space designed by Gavin Brodin of Brodin Design Build (Crown Bar, The Abbey), as one might expect it's chock full of rocker photography that has characterized the musical magazine for decades.

http://la.eater.com/archives/2010/12...olling-stone-5

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:41 PM
International

Speaking of Westwood, here is some infill I photographed there this past Sunday:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Rolling Stone should get a boost from the Cirque crowd right next door.

Cirque is almost too much good news for Hollywood to stand. With that and new clubs, bars, etc., that area is going to die from overcrowding on weekends. They have to push the idea of using Red Line from NoHo or from DT; maybe add more trains.

I guess Expo will help also. It would be nice if a single ticket could get you to Hollywood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations