HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:49 PM

Edmonton Indy July 24-26?

Is this for real???

http://www.edmontonindy.com/

I've been waiting to buy tickets - as this is huge for Edmonton (definitely a step up from ChampCar, and great news for IRL)...but, I don't see Edmonton on the IRL websites sched - and haven't read/heard anything else about the announcement.

Edmontonians - is there anyone on this forum that knows/cares about this event?

Looking for answers!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:52 PM
DRINK

No official announcent until a few months before the race...
Thursday,Friday and Saturday events....

IRL fucked us over big time. It's as though they want this event to fail so they can find some oval in the states to do laps around infront of 15 thousand people on race day.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:03 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Yep it's for real. It's going to be awesome..

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:08 PM
Community Guy

I received this today from the guys behind the scenes...

"On behalf of Racing Services Group, the Rexall Edmonton Indy returns to Edmonton on July 24, 25, 26 2008. We look forward to your participation in this event.

Please watch your email inbox for further details on upcoming registration information.

Sincerely,

Racing Services Group Team "

so im guessing its on

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:26 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I received this today from the guys behind the scenes...

"On behalf of Racing Services Group, the Rexall Edmonton Indy returns to Edmonton on July 24, 25, 26 2008. We look forward to your participation in this event.

Please watch your email inbox for further details on upcoming registration information.

Sincerely,

Racing Services Group Team "

so im guessing its on
I got a call from ticketmaster last week informing us that it's a go and our tickets have been reserved.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:38 PM

The event organizers phoned me last week as well to confirm the tickets I renewed from last years race were indeed mine. I can't wait to see 27-30 cars on the track this year as the Edmonton track is one of the best for drivers and spectators. I expect even more people in the stands this year with the two racing leagues joining forces bringing new drivers/teams to this year’s race. I hope they can get a long term deal to have the event in Edmonton for many more years to come.

Gold 3 day passes are $225
Silver 3 day passes are $150
Bronze 3 day passes are $125

Regards

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:43 PM

I'll be heading down for the first time, can't wait

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:51 PM

I can't wait. I've gone two years in a row and this year should be even better!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:14 PM
Community Guy

I volunteer for this every year as a corner worker (see pic below) and hope to be available for this year as well!!! CANT WAIT!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:16 PM

I hope to go this year.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:16 PM

might have to go to this!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:22 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
I can't wait to see 27-30 cars on the track this year

30 stock cars on the track at once was wicked, I can't begin to imagine what 30 open wheel cars would be like at once.

IRL has running starts right? That will kind of take some of the fun our of the first corner...oh well.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:41 PM
Scraper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
definitely a step up from ChampCar,
Personally I am no longer interested in going until Indy adopts some better cars. The Dallara Indy cars are not exciting to me at all especially on a road course since they were built primarily for ovals. The basic design is over 10 years old. They have less power (650hp vs. 750hp [800hp with push to pass]), are heavier (1,600lbs vs. 1575lbs) and are have a far less advanced aerodynamics package than the latest Panoz DP01 Champ Cars which were introduced in 2007.

I attended the Edmonton GP in 2006 and was pretty excited to go again this summer to see the new Champ Car chassis in action. The prospect of seeing 10 year old Indy cars is a disappointment.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 9:49 PM
Community Guy

^agreed in full. While the racing will be more fun to watch, the cars are meh.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_imperial View Post
Personally I am no longer interested in going until Indy adopts some better cars. The Dallara Indy cars are not exciting to me at all especially on a road course since they were built primarily for ovals. The basic design is over 10 years old. They have less power (650hp vs. 750hp [800hp with push to pass]), are heavier (1,600lbs vs. 1575lbs) and are have a far less advanced aerodynamics package than the latest Panoz DP01 Champ Cars which were introduced in 2007.

I attended the Edmonton GP in 2006 and was pretty excited to go again this summer to see the new Champ Car chassis in action. The prospect of seeing 10 year old Indy cars is a disappointment.
I believe the new specs for IRL are 1640lbs INCLUDING driver, vs 1565lbs for ChampCar without the driver. Weight obviously makes a difference. And despite being less powerful, we'll have to wait and see what it'll do to the laptimes. Regardless, they're going to be bloody fast...F1 is faster too, but if you've been to both, you'll know it's kinda hard to tell the difference between a car accelerating to 100mph in 4.2 seconds, and 4.1. Besides, I believe a new chassis may come by 2010 - it might even be the DP01 (wouldn't be surprised).

EDIT: I'm not doubting though that the new Champcar cars would dominate though...

I'm more interested because this has been a long time in coming - and I'm sooooo glad Edmonton was able to gain this race a few years ago when Vancouver fell apart. And, now that Edmonton has run one of the most successful races in Champcar for 3 years, IRL took notice too.

This merger is the best thing for the sport in what, 14 years has it been?? The names in IRL are familiar (sure, the kids of the most popular names ever, but still "in the family" will help attract people...I mean Andretti, Foyt, Rahal). And Danica's win obviously brings much great attention to the sport. Helio's attendance (and win) on Dancing with the Stars doesn't hurt either.
Apparently, TV ratings in the first couple races have been up 20-30%.

This merger will bring the sport back up a notch...just wait, the cars will get there too.

I went to the first two in Edmonton, and missed last year telling my wife I'm holding out for a merger...I'm loving this - for the sport, and for Edmonton. It's a big deal I think.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:41 PM

Talking about car specs, did anyone else see the 1999 Schumacher F1 car at the Calgary auto show?

Apparently, someone in Calgary bought it (through the new Ferrari dealership) for $1.3 million, with an agreement that it won't be run...it's going to sit in the buyers foyer. This is on top of the 3 Enzos that now roam Calgary streets (according to the dealer...one of those is modified yet).

Anyway, I asked about weight, and he said 1400lbs - but the rolling resistance is amazing. He said "try and push the tire with your finger"...With one finger on the tire, and not too much of a push, it rolled back easily.

Amazing what goes into these cars - even Indy and Champcar.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 11:01 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Talking about car specs, did anyone else see the 1999 Schumacher F1 car at the Calgary auto show?

Apparently, someone in Calgary bought it (through the new Ferrari dealership) for $1.3 million, with an agreement that it won't be run...it's going to sit in the buyers foyer. This is on top of the 3 Enzos that now roam Calgary streets (according to the dealer...one of those is modified yet).

Anyway, I asked about weight, and he said 1400lbs - but the rolling resistance is amazing. He said "try and push the tire with your finger"...With one finger on the tire, and not too much of a push, it rolled back easily.

Amazing what goes into these cars - even Indy and Champcar.
i thought that car was a shell promo car? Also, 1.3mil is incredibly low for that...i have seen a set of F1 pistons for 100,000.

ZR auto has a modded Enzo

I have seen F1 cars in person and jesus do they make me amazed every single time. The sound from them is infinitely more wonderful than even Champ cars.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 11:41 PM

^No, not a shell car...it was the real deal - according to the dealer...sure looked real and fitted for Schuey. It seems a little low I guess, but for a 8 year old F1 car that's going to sit in some dudes front foyer, not that low I guess.

I agree about the sound...and it's been 14 years since I've been to a F1 race.

ZR Auto has one (is it modded too?). The other modded one is Tunerworks that was at the show. The third one is apparently stock...but apparently as many in Calgary as Toronto. Not sure if that's true - but considering there were some 399 of them (minus any cracked up ones), it seems believable.

Now, I just have to see an Veyron and I've seen everything here :-)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 11:52 PM
Community Guy

" It seems a little low I guess, but for a 8 year old F1 car that's going to sit in some dudes front foyer, not that low I guess."

race cars are like wine and presents for significant others, they get more expensive as they age

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:03 AM
Scraper Fan

Totally agree with all the above comments.

As a series I am ecstatic that CART and Indy have merged. I would love to see them steal some thunder from NASCAR (which I despise). I am looking forward to an update of the cars!

I go to the Montreal F1 almost every year... F1 is my real passion. I have to say that F1 really does look much faster than CART in person... the cornering speeds of F1 cars are the most noticeable difference, they seem to just stick to the road with the massive down force they produce. One of the reasons I was really looking forward to going to the EGP this year was for the Panoz DP01 since it's aero package was so similar to F1... they would have really ripped!

I am really happy Edmonton will continue to host a race... It is great for Alberta! I look forward to attending in the years to come!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton