HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:03 PM

Approx a 400' building in this location will stand out nicely like St. James. If the city can line Chestnut and Walnut every couple of blocks with this height it would look outstanding.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Honestly, it looks no different than Land of Beige Precast in Chicago. Homely but whatever.

Interesting to note that several new apartment projects in the city are using aluminum paneling on their facades. 2020 Market, 1900 Arch, 3601 Market, 38Chestnut already. Our new beige precast? 3601 Market's facade was worth the wait.
This is a Parkway Joint. That Beige Precast = Dryvit. This is going to be a corner cutter at every artistic measure.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Honestly, it looks no different than Land of Beige Precast in Chicago. Homely but whatever.

Interesting to note that several new apartment projects in the city are using aluminum paneling on their facades. 2020 Market, 1900 Arch, 3601 Market, 38Chestnut already. Our new beige precast? 3601 Market's facade was worth the wait.
was thinking the same, this looks like it was lifted from River North or just South of the Loop - not that Chicago does not have stellar construction but for the few we get (even in a boom) I for one think this is bland and seeing as there is little around it it will be more noticeable

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:52 PM

There was a lot of similar criticism for the rendering of 38 Chestnut and now everyone is super happy with the way that turned out.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:26 PM

As long as construction starts after August I'm fine with it. Just made all the payments on Union Trust as the venue and it's too late to change now.

I think that this is a fairly preliminary rendering and nowhere as bad as some other ones we've seen.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
As long as construction starts after August I'm fine with it. Just made all the payments on Union Trust as the venue and it's too late to change now.
So should all your buds here on SkyscraperPage save the date on our calendars?

And do you mind if I bring a few guests?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
So should all your buds here on SkyscraperPage save the date on our calendars?

And do you mind if I bring a few guests?
It's a fixed price, so if we have one beer or a billion it's the same price. Wear a suite and bring a gift!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:03 AM

Some shots of the site and neighbors taken yesterday:
022 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

018 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

023 - Copy by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post

I think that this is a fairly preliminary rendering and nowhere as bad as some other ones we've seen.
Don't want to get OT here, but glad you decided to go with Finley for your wedding! Finley is doing our wedding at the Crystal Tea Room in June and it's been great working with them.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:22 AM

From the Center City District:

New Apartment Tower Proposed at Seventh and Chestnut
Roseland, an affiliate of Mack-Cali Realty Corporation, has partnered with the Parkway Corporation on a proposal to build a 32-story apartment tower at 709 Chestnut Street, presently a surface parking lot, PlanPhilly reported on March 25. The property is owned by Parkway.

Plans call for 300 high-end apartments, 11,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor amenity space, and a 125-vehicle automatic parking garage. The partnership recently made a preliminary presentation of the project to Washington Square West Civic Association and plans to apply for zoning variances, including one for the 32 stories, in the next few weeks, the article noted.

The developers also need Historical Commission review, since part of the proposed tower overhangs a historic property, and a review by the Civic Design Review Committeebecause of the tower’s size.

Construction is expected to begin in late 2015.

http://www.centercityphila.org/press...news040715.php

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction is expected to begin in late 2015.
I'll take the over.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:12 PM

Quote:
From the Center City District:

New Apartment Tower Proposed at Seventh and Chestnut
The partnership recently made a preliminary presentation of the project to Washington Square West Civic Association and plans to apply for zoning variances, including one for the 32 stories, in the next few weeks, the article noted.

The developers also need Historical Commission review, since part of the proposed tower overhangs a historic property, and a review by the Civic Design Review Committeebecause of the tower’s size.http://www.centercityphila.org/press...news040715.php
There are just WAAAAY too many committees reviewing projects. If I had my way, there would be ONE committee that would review all projects. It would be comprised of two urban designers/planners (one with a specialty in transportation), an economist, an architect, one community (NIMBY) representative, a lawyer, and when necessary, a historical expert. They would have sole authority to review and reject projects as well as make suggestions for improvements. Significantly, no one from city council gets involved. Community meetings become optional. And we do away with the zoning board and all the other committees.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:19 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...bp5BEZtTRPf.99
Quote:
In other business, the commission voted to approve an unusual design for a proposed 32-story apartment tower on what is, today, a parking lot on the 700 block of Chestnut Street.

The high rise would be built atop a parcel with no preservation restrictions but would cantilever over the historic Union Trust building next door.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
The high rise would be built atop a parcel with no preservation restrictions but would cantilever over the historic Union Trust building next door.
That's not this so what are we getting, exactly? I guess if it's a bait and switch it won't matter since this building was so ho-hum to begin with, LOL.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
That's not this so what are we getting, exactly? I guess if it's a bait and switch it won't matter since this building was so ho-hum to begin with, LOL.
Actually, that design DOES cantilever over the Union Trust building--although not by much--so that may be the design that was approved.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Actually, that design DOES cantilever over the Union Trust building--although not by much--so that may be the design that was approved.
You think? Under no circumstances would I call that an "unusual" design.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
You think? Under no circumstances would I call that an "unusual" design.
Perhaps they meant "unusual" in that it cantilevers over the neighboring building.

Incidentally, for what it's worth, I have a feeling that this design may look a bit better than what's depicted in that rendering. That's a fairly primitive, cartoon-style rendering, as opposed to a photo-realistic rendering that better displays the details, materials, and surfaces to be used. If the right materials and details are used, it might not be a bad building for that location. Plus, we're unable to see the ground-floor details and how it would relate to the street and sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:47 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I understand the notion of trying to bolster architectural standards. I really do, and it's a noble cause.

But the constant, almost knee-jerk reaction to so many proposals as though it's the worst thing designed on the face of the planet is just not constructive. And, again, not every building has to be a work of art.

Not to get into a protracted debate, but I think there needs to be a balance of constructive criticism that recognizes development in context of achieving good urbanism and active streetlife. The aesthetic nitpicking that seems to dominate this forum does not do much to further that cause.
Thank you for saying this. I feel the same about the way this building, and many others are reviewed on this website. Talk about short memories. When the St James was going up we were all extremely excited. That was near the start of what I'd call the modern building era in Philadelphia. Before that it was a long time since we had a tower going up and it was fun to read about it. Back then I had a neighbor say "why are you obsessed with this building", and I said "it's not just about the building. It's about what's happening in the city". If it was proposed today there would be so much negativity on this site that I probably wouldn't even want to read about it here.

Nowadays I come to this website expecting a large amount of negativity as people discuss the new proposals. Damn guys, that's why I don't come here so often any more. What is happening to the Philadelphia forum? It's going negadelphian. The knee jerk reactions to this proposal are a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 1:56 AM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 2:26 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Well, it's no St. James, but time will tell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals