HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:18 PM

My wife and I share a cell phone for long trips and emergencies. None of our friends have the number. I don't even know what the number is actually. We keep it turned off and barely ever use it.

I really wish our society would establish reasonable norms and etiquette for cell phone use. I can't stand all the people who constantly walk around talking on the phone or texting each other. It's impossible to have a conversation with some people because they are constantly getting text messages and the rings are annoying fragments of songs. I really hate the McMaster Library, students think that they can pop into the stacks to have a conversation on their cell phone. Buses are even worse, how about sitting beside some idiot talking about nothing for 45 minutes on a GO bus while you're trying to read.

Don't get me started on those personal music ipod things, half the world is tuned out of reality because they're wearing headphones.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:44 PM
Closed account

I rarely use my cell either. Only for emergencies as you said. And yes for most of the time it's turned off too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm close to my cellphone especially with facebook on it. I also have an ipod touch. One day I wanna get the iphone to combine the ipod touch and phone.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 7:09 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Dayyyummm... cell phones are definitely where it's at, especially for the younger generation
I guess I'm at the very tail end of the generation that plans social events. Younger people don't plan; they just keep texting each other with bits of information about whereabouts and proximity until a plan organically comes together.

Add in applications that let you track the physical location of friends on your cell network ("Hey, crhayes is right around the corner from me; I'll text him to see if he wants to meet for a coffee") and the need for planning - an essentially top-down activity with considerable bureaucratic overhead - simply goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I really wish our society would establish reasonable norms and etiquette for cell phone use.
Obligatory cell phone joke.

Quote:
Don't get me started on those personal music ipod things, half the world is tuned out of reality because they're wearing headphones.
Guilty as charged. I don't actually seem capable of going for a walk without my MP3 player. I spend a lot of time downtown, and part of its appeal, aside from the music itself, is precisely its function as a damper for sensory bombardment - particularly the ambient noise I've been listening to lately.

In fairness, it doubles as a quick and dirty microphone if I need to interview something.

Last edited by ryan_mcgreal; Feb 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 7:35 PM
Needs more coffee...

I'm in my twenties, and I bitterly hold out against owning a cellphone as well - a summer contract job a few years ago that came with a company cellphone cured me of any desire to get one soon.

I work with teenagers, and it's amazing how much they rise to the occasion when treated like adults and incrementally given responsibility. They're not this strange "third" stage between childhood and adulthood like the marketing niches that have been created would have you believe -- they're children growing into adults, and being a teenager is when you're a bit of both.

To steer the conversation back to Mohawk
- a building that looks, smells, and feels like high school does nothing to steer those in their late teens/early twenties towards adulthood.

I haven't been to many college campuses, but the ones I was thinking of are certain parts of a Niagara College campus (I can't remember exactly where. I took a coaching theory course there several years ago, when it was still brand-new - it looks like an office building) The Mohawk IAHS campus at Mac also makes excellent use of light and the lockers less of a focal point.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:04 PM
Closed account

And this also comes to another issue as well. The younger ones are relying onto all this new tech stuff and losing their skills to deal with person to person connection and dealing with the public in general in many ways.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:42 PM

Petro Canada Mobility has no monthly fee and is pay as you go. A $100 card lasts a full year!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
One day I wanna get the iphone to combine the ipod touch and phone.
My hubby has an iphone. Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't own an iphone.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:39 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
My hubby has an iphone. Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't own an iphone.
I want me an iPhone, I'll probably get one when the next revision comes out and it'll be my Canada phone, as I hope to be there by then, that said I love my Nokia e71.

Anyone who hates a mobile phone hasn't had internet on their phone. Unlimited anyplace, anytime internet on my phone makes me disturbingly happy.

I even have sat on trains and looked at this forum on my e71. How dedicated (sad) am I?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 11:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

I love my ipod touch more than the cellphone so if it was combined I would be a very happy person. I just have to wait for my contract to end.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 11:46 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
I love my ipod touch more than the cellphone so if it was combined I would be a very happy person. I just have to wait for my contract to end.
Wait for the next iteration of the iPhone before you take the plunge, a number of improvements to the 3G iPhone are likely to happen with the next update. I know this current iPhone is a second gen iPhone, but it's really only a first gen 3G iPhone, which means there are still several hardware kinks that they next version will hopefully iron out.

If you're going to be stuck with a phone for 2 years, you want to make sure it's a phone you want to be stuck with for 2 years!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Mohawk is very similar to the Ontario colleges I've seen (St. Clair, Lambton, and Fanshawe)
fanshawe has been completely gutted and renovated the last 5 years from end to end.

It's a beautiful college nowadays.

at mohawk..we can't even get a new gym for pete's sakes.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
I guess I'm at the very tail end of the generation that plans social events. Younger people don't plan; they just keep texting each other with bits of information about whereabouts and proximity until a plan organically comes together.
...and despite this level of connectivity, cannot cooridinate events at a pace faster than would naturally occur due to random chance.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:13 AM
It's Hammer Time

Mohawk pitches $80m makeover
Renewal to raise profile of Fennell campus

March 25, 2009
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/536393

Mohawk College's central campus could be in for an $80-million renewal starting as early as this summer.

At the same time, a similar volume of renovation and building will be going on at McMaster University, if federal-provincial infrastructure projects are approved, possibly next month.

Rob MacIsaac, who took over as Mohawk president in February, has scheduled a series of "extraordinary" meetings to pitch his proposal to the college's board of governors over the next month.

"We think the Fennell campus really needs a renewal," he said in an interview.

"We think that investing money into this campus will make a big difference in terms of the quality of education we can deliver to students."

The Mohawk project would involve renovation and new building to update and expand the 42-year-old Fennell campus, which is home to 7,000 full-time students.

The work would also turn the face of the campus toward Fennell Avenue, completing one of MacIsaac's early goals of raising the college's physical profile in the Hamilton landscape.

If the project is approved, MacIsaac said he hopes the federal government would provide $40 million in infrastructure funding.

Colleges and universities across Ontario have until Friday to submit shovel-ready infrastructure proposals for consideration by the federal government, which would provide 50 per cent funding, with provincial and private matching.

Approvals for the economic stimulus projects are expected to start flowing as early as next month, with all approvals anticipated by the end of May.

At McMaster, president Peter George said several renovation and building projects would be on the university's list of proposals.

Since the list has yet to be finalized, he was reluctant to name them, though he did say the university has $180 million in deferred maintenance, such as energy conservation refitting and updates to laboratories and classrooms.

"We'd be delighted with any support we receive, and make the most of it," he said.

George said he knows times are challenging, but remains hopeful that tomorrow's budget will bring infrastructure money and operating relief from Queen's Park.

"Education is still a high priority for them," he said. "Even in these tough economic times, they see it as a good investment in future prosperity."

In advance of the provincial budget, Premier Dalton McGuinty committed $27.5 billion to infrastructure funding this week, including nearly $4 billion for education infrastructure.

The Council of Ontario Universities says two-thirds of university facilities are more than 30 years old, many of them overdue for maintenance and renovation, while growing enrolment and new technology are driving demand for new construction.

George said he hoped tomorrow's budget would bring at least one-time relief to cover operating costs. McMaster and other universities have been hit hard by the economic downturn, which has hurt the investments that feed their operations and pension funds.

"There's no doubt that we could -- as could all universities -- benefit from some operating relief in the short term," he said.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mohawk College president eager for overhaul

April 09, 2009
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/article/546076

When Rob MacIsaac became president of Mohawk College two months ago, his friends said he wouldn’t waste much time.

They were correct.

At his official installation ceremony Thursday, MacIsaac, 47, laid out aggressive plans to modernize the college’s main campus with a major overhaul, reform the delivery of education, build new partnerships with universities and establish a separate Mohawk corporation to put its applied research to work.     

After donning the president’s robes, he praised Mohawk’s traditions of serving students, building the community and establishing strong partnerships.

“But I want to say there is also so much more that we can do,” he said. “Looking ahead, there are so many exciting, interesting and valuable opportunities that Mohawk can explore and capitalize on.”

MacIsaac is planning an $80 million renovation to the Fennell campus  — home to 7,000 of Mohawk's 10,000 full-time students — with applications to the federal and provincial governments for infrastructure funding that would pay for most of the work.

“This 40-year-old building we are sitting in is a tribute to mid-20th-century architectural sensibility,” he said. “We would like to bring the spaces and the architecture here firmly into the 21st century.”

Citing the college’s project in building a prototype for a national electronic health records system, he said Mohawk would expand on its  “brilliant beginning” in applied research by advancing into clean energy and advanced materials.  

While pure research will remain the province of universities, he said, Mohawk will find new ways to put research into practice by creating Mohawk College Enterprises, which will work with corporate partners in training and economic development.

“This company will help drive our economy by helping local companies create supercharged workforces,” he said.  

The new president said it’s also time to overhaul the way Mohawk delivers education to students, casting off what he described as a  manufacturing model based on  Henry Ford’s ideas in favour of a “mass-customization model” closer to the lines of Dell Computers, where customers tell the company what they want and Dell builds it for them.

“Why can’t we do the same in education?” he asked. “Why can’t we provide student-centric post-secondary education that adapts itself to recognize that students have different backgrounds, different strengths and different personal circumstances?”

Building on its formal partnerships with McMaster University in nursing and technology, he said Mohawk is planning new links with Wilfrid Laurier University in Brantford,  where both institutions have campuses, and with the Burlington campus of Australia-based Charles Sturt University, and Redeemer University College in Ancaster. 

MacIsaac is the seventh president in Mohawk’s 42-year history. He is a lawyer who previously served three terms as Burlington mayor before deciding not to seek re-election, later becoming an architect of Ontario's Smart Growth strategy and its Greenbelt plan.

Before becoming president at Mohawk, he was the founding director of Metrolinx, the province’s transportation planning agency for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. He continues to serve as  Metrolinx chair.

Among the audience of Mohawk students, graduates, faculty and  supporters were MacIsaac’s wife Anne and two daughters Sarah and Catherine.

The formal installation ceremony was to be followed by a reception and a dinner, with the day ending in a performance by MacIsaac’s rock band, Slow Monday. 

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 11:06 AM
It's Hammer Time

An $84m facelift for Mohawk
College hopes for funding to update look, expand capacity

April 23, 2009
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/553337

If it's a little hard to find the face of Mohawk College's main campus today, there should be little doubt after the Fennell campus gets a planned $84 million facelift.

The plans -- subject to government funding approvals -- include a four-storey, 180,000 square-foot building facing Fennell Avenue and a new facade for the building next door, where the word "Mohawk" in storey-high letters would leave no doubt about where you are.

If approved, nearly $59 million of the renewal budget would go toward the new building, which would fit between the existing glass-fronted I Wing, and the older A Wing, closest to West 5th Street. The new building would sit closer to Fennell Avenue than the others, giving the college the bolder street presence that new president Rob MacIsaac had identified as an early priority.

The new building would add critical new space to the campus, where limited capacity is preventing the college from keeping up with growing demand.

The changes would allow Mohawk to increase overall full-time enrolment by 1,560 students, or nearly 16 per cent, and continuing education enrolment by about 4,000 registrants, or 10 per cent.

Most of the rest of the renewal money would go toward renovating 70,000 square feet of space, tackling deferred maintenance work and building wireless capacity on campus.

MacIsaac shared details of the proposal with the Spectator's editorial board this week, where he said it is important for Mohawk to have a "fresh face" to continue competing for the best students.

Mohawk is asking the federal and provincial governments to put up 85 per cent of the funding under their infrastructure programs and plans to raise the remainder.

If the $84 million package is approved, renovation work could begin this summer and new construction could start in the fall. The work would create as many as 350 direct and indirect jobs over the next two years.

During his wide-ranging remarks to the editorial board, MacIsaac said Mohawk's Brantford campus would be next in line for renewal.

He said he would prefer to move the Brantford campus from an industrial park off the Wayne Gretzky Parkway to that city's downtown.

Post-secondary education is already providing a significant catalyst for economic renewal in Brantford.

MacIsaac said Mohawk is working through a $2 million deficit on its $150 million operating budget, but expects the college can avoid layoffs at least for this year.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 11:28 AM
It's Hammer Time

A great architect firm selected.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:

A great architect firm selected.
They are the same firm that did the "Master Plan" design for the "McMaster Innovation Park".

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 11:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yep! They are great.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 11:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

They're coming!......

Media Advisory - Ontario boosts infrastructure funding in Hamilton

TORONTO, May 28 /CNW/ - The Hon. John Milloy, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities, the Hon. George Smitherman, Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, and Sophia Aggelonitis, MPP for Hamilton Mountain, will make an important announcement regarding provincial infrastructure investments at Mohawk College.

DATE: Friday, May 29, 2009

TIME: 2:15 p.m.

135 Fennell Avenue West, Hamilton
Room: i131 & Rotunda

PARKING: Parking is available in lot P14.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues