HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:34 PM

I've always thought that they should turn BeefEaters into a gay bar and keep the same name. I hope that they keep the BeefEater signs. I'm excited about a bookstore though.. I only live a block away from there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Lmfao!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:58 PM

Interesting news coming from Garfield:

At this weeks Garfield Organization Revitalization & Economic Development committee meeting will be a presentation about a new development at 7th Street & Roosevelt. This is a LARGE development proposal that will encompass both the Llantera Shop, Circle K, the bus station, Tacos de Jurez and the strip of shops on Portland. It's a large development that will drastically change Garfield neighborhood.

To find out more AND to have some input on that development you'll need to attend this meeting.

Garfield Organization
Revitalization & Economic Development committee
Tuesday, April 24, 5:30pm
At the Youth at Risk facility
1001 E Pierce St (SE corner Pierce & 10th Streets)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:14 AM

LARGE!!!!? I hope in all aspects~!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:15 AM

Interesting... Weird the development bridges Roosevelt because the llantera shop is on the southside, everything else is on the north. The warehouse of that llantera shop is a historic brick building hiding behind a giant corrugated metal skin. Hopefully whatever happens they save and renovate that building.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:38 AM

thought i'd share this with the forum. this image was posted on Motley Design Group's Facebook Page. The picture shows a possibility for the building at the southeastern corner of Roosevelt and Central. Bits of other information can be found in the comments.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:12 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^I don't really understand what's going on in that rendering. Big parking lot, random old timey gas pumps....odd.

That building definitely has a lot of potential, but a parking lot would be pretty lame. There's plenty of parking nearby. I'd rather see a large patio for a restaurant facing Roosevelt. Or if whatever eventually goes into that building has a larger footprint they could extend the building closer to Roosevelt with some kind of boxy modern/glass addition.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:22 AM

Totally agreed Hoover, however I've been waiting for someone to do something with that building fir so long.... So at this point beggars can't be choosers.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:20 AM

but its right off of a transit station. how is a parking lot not a good idea?

kidding of course.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Parking in that area is non existent so I'm sure in order to lease the space they'll need to offer a lot to businesses.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Parking in that area is non existent so I'm sure in order to lease the space they'll need to offer a lot to businesses.
There's loads of parking in that area. Not by suburban Phoenix standards, but compared to urban areas, its got tons and tons. Its directly across from a major transit station too. There's street parking on Garfield and 1st St, there's another surface lot to the South of the building, there's a parking garage just to the NE, there's tons of street parking around Roosevelt Square, there's a garage there too, etc, etc.

In the urban core we need to be more creative about shared parking and time sharing spaces. Some businesses need it during the day, others at night, but there's no reason every building needs its own sea of surface asphalt that sits predominately empty all day.

Also to note: people park fairly far from their destination every day when they go to places like a Mall or Power Center. But because those places are well lit and well landscaped, it seems safe and OK. If you have to walk past two dirt lots downtown to get to your destination, even if its a shorter walk than to your car at PV Mall, it feels much less pleasant.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:38 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ Couldn't agree more, Hoover.

That said, the problem is in the city code and zoning ordinance. In most cases it doesn't matter if there is a mega-mall across the street with more parking than the property owner could ever fill.

I've seen this become an issue all over the Valley time and time again. In Tempe, both the Cornish Pasty Co and Cartel Coffee had expansion plans delayed earlier this year because their new expansions required more parking in shared lots that were already "full".

Restaurants and other businesses have been similarly halted along the Central Avenue/LRT corridor.

Fact is, Phoenix-metro municipal codes right now MUST include the car and are usually written to plan for the maximum anticipated volume (in retail terms, the night before Christmas).

Last edited by Jsmscaleros; Apr 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
There's street parking on Garfield and 1st St,
That's a whole half mile from the intersection we are discussing!

edit: I'm the dumbass, I'm still stuck on teh 7th and roosevelt development. Agreed, central and garfield does not need a surface parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:36 AM

It appears Circle K plans to buy the tire shop and build a bigger Circle K similar to their store on 7th and Buckeye...large store and pumps for 20 vehicles to fuel up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaynoh View Post
Interesting news coming from Garfield:

At this weeks Garfield Organization Revitalization & Economic Development committee meeting will be a presentation about a new development at 7th Street & Roosevelt. This is a LARGE development proposal that will encompass both the Llantera Shop, Circle K, the bus station, Tacos de Jurez and the strip of shops on Portland. It's a large development that will drastically change Garfield neighborhood.

To find out more AND to have some input on that development you'll need to attend this meeting.

Garfield Organization
Revitalization & Economic Development committee
Tuesday, April 24, 5:30pm
At the Youth at Risk facility
1001 E Pierce St (SE corner Pierce & 10th Streets)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 6:49 AM

awesome.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:13 PM

That's going to DRASTICALLY change the neighborhood?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:20 PM

Did anyone actually attend the meeting? This seems more like some cruel joke, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ Couldn't agree more, Hoover.

That said, the problem is in the city code and zoning ordinance. In most cases it doesn't matter if there is a mega-mall across the street with more parking than the property owner could ever fill.
Luckily the Urban Form Code changes this, at least for Downtown. Hopefully sometime soon Midtown and Uptown will have form based codes implemented and have parking in that area reduced...looking at Central PHX on Google Satellite view is depressing, so much parking everywhere.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaynoh View Post
It appears Circle K plans to buy the tire shop and build a bigger Circle K similar to their store on 7th and Buckeye...large store and pumps for 20 vehicles to fuel up.
Yeah, as Phxguy said, that seems like a severely cruel joke. No way are 20 pumps needed in that location, but aside from that, no way will the City (nor the neighborhood) allow that tireshop (ie, the brick building underneath) be torn down for a giant gas station. That is in no way the direction the city is going for downtown... at least I really really hope not.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:03 PM
Skyriser

Why would a Circle K encompass the llantera shop? That's on the south side of Roosevelt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest