HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1919 Market in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There are 30 floors in that render. Just counted again twice. There are 5 floors at the base. 21 floors of the middle "regular" apartment portions... then four floors of what look like "penthouse" apartments. Use the far right-hand side of the building.
I was counting the left side. I think you're right. It's hard to tell at the top. Well, 30 is better than 26. I'm still hoping this gets redesigned to something a little less boring though.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 9:41 PM

Looks like this may be going up in the Fall. Will be 28 floors and over 300ft

Render:

Info:
Brandywine Realty Trust is proposing to erect a 28 story 278 unit rental apartment tower on the northeast corner of 20th and Market (next door to the Blue Cross building) (click here to see a schematic of the building). This plot has been vacant since the demolition of the Sheraton hotel (which served a fine martini in its day). In keeping with the Association's neighborhood plan, the first two stories of the building's four story podium contain 25,000 square feet of retail/commercial on both Market and 20th street, a feature which should enliven the pedestrian experience. The tower, which rises from the 5th to the 28th floor, will be set back 200 feet from the southern façade of the Kennedy House high rise to accommodate the privacy of Kennedy House residents with south facing windows. Floors three and four feature two story residential units with interior stair wells. Contrary to the Association's neighborhood plan, the 219 parking spaces are all above ground within a garage that is not wrapped with an active use such as residential or commercial. Cars will enter and exit on 20th Street, while all loading and unloading will occur on Commerce Street, the alley street separating the site from Kennedy House. The building features a roof top pool adjacent to a fitness center and club room. Brandywine is shooting for a LEED silver certification and hopes to begin construction this Fall, with completion targeted for March of 2015. The project requires some modest variances and, under the new Zoning Code, will be subject to Civic Design Review. CCRA has already assigned a Major Development Task Force for this project, and it will also be presented at a general membership meeting. The details for that meeting, which will be held before July 31, will be posted here. The project will require zoning review.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:23 PM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Brandywine Realty Trust is expecting to break ground in the fourth quarter on a 28-story mixed-use tower at 1919 Market St. in Center City. The building will have 270 apartments, about 25,000 square feet of retail and parking. The site is adjacent to the Independence Blue Cross building.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ground-on.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 1:41 PM

do you think this will stand out from views of any of the highways or will it look more like infill?

Fall 2013 looks like it will be a busy time for cranes around the city.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
do you think this will stand out from views of any of the highways or will it look more like infill?

Fall 2013 looks like it will be a busy time for cranes around the city.
It is dwarfed by the buildings surrounding it to the east and west on Market, so it won't stand out much. Additionally, I believe Kenedy House to the north is just over 300 ft, and some of the buildings south of this along Rittenhouse square are of similar height. So it won't be highly visible from the north or south either. You may be able to see it from the northwest.

I don't think this will be highly noticeable on the skyline, but it's kind of a bland design anyway, so it's no big loss. (Not to be a negative Nancy, but come on, who wasn't hoping for something a little more exciting at this spot!)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:57 PM

It will be decent infill on Market. Outside of that the building will blend in as infill

that is fine as this lot on Market needs some life

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:06 PM

1919 market

The only concern i have is that it NOT use cheap external cladding materials, if you remember the Penn Center Inn that stood on this very spot you will know what i mean. The Penn Center Inn was built at a time where there was little confidence in the future of the city. This has changed markedly and there is no excuse for a less than first class building.

If you look at the first 2 PennCenter buildings built c. 1955 and compare them to all the later buildings that surround them on Market St West, the later buildings reflex a continuously improving commitment to the economic health of the city and the architecture gets better with that improving commitment.

If you saw the design of 1919 Market st in say the magazine "Architecture" in 1960 it would be considered a "GOOD" design, up to date with the evolution of the International style. So yes it's a little retro but again if it uses good materials it will be a welcomed addition to the buildings that line West Market st. In fact with its solarium like top floors and the impession of the use of "Pilotis", i.e., (Pillars or stilts that support a building, allowing its elevation above the ground and utilizing the ground floor for various functions, such as garden, parking, etc. Free-standing concrete or steel pillars sustaining ceiling loads) which were part of the canon of the International Style, this design is richly articulaed. I like it!!! but NO cheap materials!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
The only concern i have is that it NOT use cheap external cladding materials, if you remember the Penn Center Inn that stood on this very spot you will know what i mean. The Penn Center Inn was built at a time where there was little confidence in the future of the city. This has changed markedly and there is no excuse for a less than first class building.

If you look at the first 2 PennCenter buildings built c. 1955 and compare them to all the later buildings that surround them on Market St West, the later buildings reflex a continuously improving commitment to the economic health of the city and the architecture gets better with that improving commitment.

If you saw the design of 1919 Market st in say the magazine "Architecture" in 1960 it would be considered a "GOOD" design, up to date with the evolution of the International style. So yes it's a little retro but again if it uses good materials it will be a welcomed addition to the buildings that line West Market st. In fact with its solarium like top floors and the impession of the use of "Pilotis", i.e., (Pillars or stilts that support a building, allowing its elevation above the ground and utilizing the ground floor for various functions, such as garden, parking, etc. Free-standing concrete or steel pillars sustaining ceiling loads) which were part of the canon of the International Style, this design is richly articulaed. I like it!!! but NO cheap materials!
Firmly agree on the materials as this could be ok.

The earlier design looks like it should be in Bethesda MD not CC Philly so this may be a step in the right direction assuming good materials. Does anyone know if the LEED certification and required materials have any impact on better materials or is that a non factor?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 4:16 PM

1919 Market. Looking like 28 floors and 367 feet

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...pplication.pdf

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 7:14 PM

Ah well. At least the lot is getting filled in I suppose. I had not realized from the previous renders, but the pdf linked above states that they're planning to use several different colors of glass in what appears to be a semi random patter. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. It could make an otherwise painfully boring design stand out a bit.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 4:56 PM

It's hard to read but at the end of the pdf I think it says -

Max Floor Area SF - 519,512
Proposed Floor Area SF - 177,222

It seems dramatically under utilized? It seems like the manipulation to make it seem taller should have been done somewhere in a less densely zoned area. It is at least better than what is across the street.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Brandywine is seeking approval for an above-grade parking garage; entrance to the garage on 20th Street; and a minor setback issue, in order to begin construction on the project in late fall.

http://www.centercityphila.org/press...ents080513.php
http://planphilly.com/articles/2013/...parking-issues

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:30 AM

I think if the MFL actually made the stops in this area instead of just the trolleys, these lots would have been better utilized.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:18 PM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:36 PM

This has been fully approved. Should begin construction soon:

http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...-construction/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:

http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...-construction/
It will be nice to see another crane rising soon!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 7:43 PM

[QUOTE=summersm343;6278403]This has been fully approved. Should begin construction soon:

http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...-construction/[/QUOTE

I saw the construction permits posted on the fence......Do you generally know how long it takes before we see some activity??

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:02 AM

[QUOTE=BuildItBigger;6286239]
Quote:

http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...-construction/[/QUOTE

I saw the construction permits posted on the fence......Do you generally know how long it takes before we see some activity??
We should be seeing action by the middle of the month...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:13 PM

[QUOTE=ConstructStudent;6286686]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItBigger View Post

We should be seeing action by the middle of the month...
Thanks.....I'll look for it outside my window.

Can the proposed height be changed during construction? Or the original plans are etched in stone?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive