HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 1:59 PM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
It's going to go to Richardson or downtown Dallas, if it goes anywhere in Texas. That's my take. Richardson is making a very strong bid in conjunction with UT Dallas. The Hillwood/Victory Park proposal in downtown Dallas is also very strong, but they'll need an educational partner. I suspect UT Dallas would be happy to oblige. Hillwood has done many development deals with Amazon in the past.
UT Dallas, definitely. UNT-Denton and UNT-Dallas as well, UT-Arlington, TCU, SMU, and other smaller colleges. DFW has a lot of higher education options and several of the campuses are with half an hour from downtown Dallas. I'd be surprised, if it were to go to DFW (Dallas over Richardson, by the way), to not see all of those universities involved in some way.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
The site has some strengths, but I think Catalyst would be #1, if the City will sign off on zoning upgrades. Riverside-Oltorf has so much more dense retail and multi-family zoning and will inevitably be an immediate extension-continuation of Downtown in the years ahead, but on a much denser scale than South Congress, S. Lamar, or East 6/7th (E of I-35).

The Motorola campus doesn't have the urban walkable vibe Amazon wants in order to attract employees who can walk or bike to work, something that is very achievable around Riverside.
I agree. I work at the motorola campus and there is nothing out there. 183 while I am sure might help in the future. Totally cut off easy access to the site. Most of the buildings are so old they really should be torn down. Busing is over about a half a mile away from the area.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:18 AM
Frozen Tundra

Does anyone know if the winner will be revealed this year?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Does anyone know if the winner will be revealed this year?
Rumors will fly for the rest of the year, but they won't be announcing their decision until next year.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:31 AM
Frozen Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Rumors will fly for the rest of the year, but they won't be announcing their decision until next year.
I figured they would drag it out, I'm very curious to hear who the victor is.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I figured they would drag it out, I'm very curious to hear who the victor is.
They are going to Atlanta. You heard it here first folks. Gut feeling...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:37 PM
Frozen Tundra

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:42 PM

These 10 cities have the best chance of getting Amazon's $5 billion headquarters

Interestingly enough, Austin is listed as #1

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...lt-lake-city-1

Last edited by HWellen; Yesterday at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:50 PM
Duck and covfefe

Austin's bid is in. Watch out, world.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/au...7Ek5Zw8i9cHCO/

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:43 AM

I see my prediction, (Atlanta) came in 2nd, I think Dallas will be runner up, and Austin will take the podium with a bronze. When they announce the winner, Atlanta, they will give reasons why 2nd and 3rd were not chosen, reiterating how tough of a decision it was. I didn't see Rochester in the mix although I was thinking maybe Albany, they actually have direct flights to Seattle, but damn, its a long, cold winter in them there parts which is the main reason I bailed and moved here. I think the tie breaker or deciding factor in a tight race between the top 3 or 4 will be the cool factor Austin brings, and an overwhelming employee vote to support a decision to move here. If its a really close game, then Austin wins. If not.....Atlanta.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:05 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Honestly the way I see it, Amazon owes us. They are taking away one of two of the Fortune 500 companies that we have based here. It's a big deal to lose a Fortune 500 company.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWellen View Post
Interestingly enough, Austin is listed as #1

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...lt-lake-city-1
This article is just repeating the Moody's analysis which was already posted here I think. So not really a new source saying Austin is #1.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:23 PM

Fox Business News also has us as #1.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...-to-watch.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan0803 View Post
Fox Business News also has us as #1.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...-to-watch.html
Same thing as the business insider article, this isn't Fox Business's own analysis, they're just reporting that Moody's said we're #1.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:49 PM

One thing Austin has going for it is money is approved to spend on the E. Riverside corridor if they are interested in that area. The area by where the Amazon campus would be is really nice looking.

They also want to get rid of the Pleasant Valley light and go to continuous traffic utilizing U-turns and lights on either side which would stop traffic from those ends of riverside so PV traffic could freely move.

You can see the entire report at the link below. Check out the "long term improvements"

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...02-24-14_s.pdf

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:29 PM

Was driving around on Riverside during my lunch hour and came to some definitive conclusions about some things:

1) the Catalyst site is really amazing, but potentially difficult as an option for Amazon. Lots of relocating of tenants, lots of tearing down of buildings, lots of building from the ground up. Even getting a single building up and ready for the first Amazonians to move in in 2019 would be an almost impossible feat, knowing how permitting and approvals work in our city. Catalyst is a really raw development opportunity, and I feel like that's not what Amazon would jump at.

2) I think Amazon WOULD jump at the Statesman site in a flash. In some ways it's as raw as the Catalyst site (nothing move-in ready for a modern corporate HQ) but it's just such a plum part of one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the country. As the city itself has envisioned, it's the perfect place for a cohesive corporate campus.

I mean, you could throw that rendering down on the boardroom table in front of Bezos, write "HQ2" in black Sharpie over top of those buildings, and essentially close the deal right there. Ahem. So long as you had a walletful of incentive cash from the State of Texas.

3) I still feel that we're even money to get HQ2, all things considered. There're too many Amazon "feels" here, in addition to the other boxes that we check. Also, I think it's seldom mentioned but now that Whole Foods is gone, we're light on corporate HQs. I think that's a major leadership void that Amazon could take advantage of in blockbuster ways.

4) I think we're going to get the Columbus MLS team, and the stadium is going to Butler Park. Not just because Precourt already seems like he's headed that way, but also because the Statesman tract is too valuable to Amazon, or an Amazon-like suitor. I actually think we're primed to win something marquee -- our prevalence on the various HQ2 speculation lists has just confirmed it for me. Even if Amazon passes on us, that just means there's still opportunity for someone else.

Anyway, lots of pieces feel like they're falling into place for Austin all of a sudden. There's no science behind that, just a hunch, but I get the sense that we're going to hit a new gear soon.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Was driving around on Riverside during my lunch hour and came to some definitive conclusions about some things:

1) the Catalyst site is really amazing, but potentially difficult as an option for Amazon. Lots of relocating of tenants, lots of tearing down of buildings, lots of building from the ground up. Even getting a single building up and ready for the first Amazonians to move in in 2019 would be an almost impossible feat, knowing how permitting and approvals work in our city. Catalyst is a really raw development opportunity, and I feel like that's not what Amazon would jump at.
It's definitely a long haul project. The good thing is that they already have offices in the domain up north and then can expand those on a temporary basis to try and hold them off until they can get 1 building up.

The demo for the site would actually be relatively easy. It's mostly concrete parking lot and then wood apartments. However, you're right about the permits and it would require re-zoning so they could build taller than is currently allowed. If they don't change the height restrictions then they'll need to buy more of the surrounding area and I hope they don't. The shopping complex next to HEB would most certainly transform into restaurants, bars etc. Having entertainment areas keeps people from always traveling to DT or elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean of re-locating of tenants? You mean you would have to wait for everyone's leases to expire? I'm sure it would be at least a year before they are ready to demo the area so I'm sure there will be time for all of the renters to find another place. I don't think their leases can be canceled.

Quote:
2) I think Amazon WOULD jump at the Statesman site in a flash. In some ways it's as raw as the Catalyst site (nothing move-in ready for a modern corporate HQ) but it's just such a plum part of one of the most vibrant and exciting cities in the country. As the city itself has envisioned, it's the perfect place for a cohesive corporate campus.
I disagree with you on the statesman site. The demo would be more intensive than the Ballpark apartments. You're not looking at 3 story wood buildings that would easily collapse. You're looking at heavy concrete and steel.

It's also not an easy area to get in and out of and I think Riverside would be once they start working on the corridor improvements that were voted for and the Riverside overpass on 35 is done. You also have access from 35, 183 and 71.

Quote:

I mean, you could throw that rendering down on the boardroom table in front of Bezos, write "HQ2" in black Sharpie over top of those buildings, and essentially close the deal right there. Ahem. So long as you had a walletful of incentive cash from the State of Texas.
I don't know what you mean here. That's just an artist basically doodling. You could easily do the same on Riverside. Both have to be adjusted for zoning and permitted.

Quote:
3) I still feel that we're even money to get HQ2, all things considered. There're too many Amazon "feels" here, in addition to the other boxes that we check. Also, I think it's seldom mentioned but now that Whole Foods is gone, we're light on corporate HQs. I think that's a major leadership void that Amazon could take advantage of in blockbuster ways.
I think it depends on how serious they were about mobility and transportation. We only have protected bus lanes in Downtown and aren't close to any kind of rail. The next opportunity to pass transportation bonds is going to be in 2020 so we are 10 years away from getting things built that weren't in the last bond. I would think this would cause Amazon to look somewhere else but we'll see.

Fun Post. Thanks.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post

I don't know what you mean here. That's just an artist basically doodling. You could easily do the same on Riverside. Both have to be adjusted for zoning and permitted.
He's saying that piece of land is MUCH more coveted than Riverside. Amazon would essentially shape a major part of our skyline and be immediately connected to downtown, waterfront, and it's next to a park. It's inarguably better real estate.

Is it logistically better than Riverside? No. But if Amazon chooses Austin it will be for reasons other than logistics.

Old Posted Today, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
He's saying that piece of land is MUCH more coveted than Riverside. Amazon would essentially shape a major part of our skyline and be immediately connected to downtown, waterfront, and it's next to a park. It's inarguably better real estate.

Is it logistically better than Riverside? No. But if Amazon chooses Austin it will be for reasons other than logistics.

I gotcha. Yea, it would make a great visual impression.

Old Posted Today, 4:37 AM

Quote:

4) I think we're going to get the Columbus MLS team, and the stadium is going to Butler Park. Not just because Precourt already seems like he's headed that way, but also because the Statesman tract is too valuable to Amazon, or an Amazon-like suitor. I actually think we're primed to win something marquee -- our prevalence on the various HQ2 speculation lists has just confirmed it for me. Even if Amazon passes on us, that just means there's still opportunity for someone else.

Anyway, lots of pieces feel like they're falling into place for Austin all of a sudden. There's no science behind that, just a hunch, but I get the sense that we're going to hit a new gear soon.
1) Love everything you're saying and love the enthusiasm. I want to call it the #Austin2020 campaign or something.

2) My one edit to you plan is to combine the Statesman site and the WPP site across the river. Build a pedestrian/rail bridge to connect WPP and Southshore and you've got a world class HQ2.

3. My addition to you comments is the potential for Austin to get a Delta little hub.

Amazon HQ2 + MLS Team + Delta hub and Austin is in another stratosphere of cities in 5 incredible years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin