HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:31 AM

Coming to Glasgow on Sat., June 2 From New Orleans

Looking for last minute recommendations. I'll be in Scotland for 9 days. We're renting a car for 5 days to traverse the country. I've never been to Scotland. We are still wide open as to what we will do. Definitely going to be doing Glasgow and Edinburgh intensely. And we are going to trip up to Lochness. Any recommendations where we should drive to in the countryside? Thanks in advance..we are looking forward to our trip. Also, does anyone know where we can download a roadmap of Scotland on the web?

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:49 PM

I am sure there are others on this site that can give you good advice, but here's my 2 cents as a multi-time visitor.

I love the Highlands and north/west Scotland!! So, since you plan to hit Loch Ness perhaps you can consider some other things worth hitting (please refer to map or guidebook for details):

Loch Lomond -the bonnie, bonnie banks...

Oban - nice little seaside town

Glen Coe - great scenery

Fort William - cool little town, not far from Ben Nevis

Isle of Skye
- must-do! hike around the Quariang - awesome/other worldly!!!
- the Cuillen Mtns are also pretty stunning

The Road to the Isle of Skye, Kyle Lochalsh
- Great scenery, lochs and Eileen Donan Castle

While in Glasgow area, you readily can swing down to Ayre and Alloway (Burns country)
Not sure how much time you will have in the country, but the whisky trail is nice. Even if you cannot do this, there are distilleries with tours all over the place (Talkisker on Skye, Oban by Oban, to name two).

In Edinburgh, there's a ton to see, which I am sure you're guide book will help you. Walk up to Calton Hill and get some photo's of the city, Arthur's seat, etc.
Some of the smallish towns south of Edinburgh are nice (Moffit, Selkirk, Falkirk, Melrose, Jedburgh, Kelso, etc.)

Obviously, St Andrews on the east coast is not so far from Edinburgh to the north, if you are into golf.

Below are a couple links
http://www.toscotland.com/
http://www.visitscotland.com/

I could go on and on about various spots, castles, etc. but I'll trust you'll see locations of those in your guide books.
So, I hope you enjoy the most spectacular scenery in the world, one-way roads, bald heathery mountains, lochs and sheeeeeeeep!!!
I am jealous of your trip!!!!!

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:46 PM

Thank you very much for the recommendations. We are taking notes...trust me. When I get back, I'll post pics of the trip. Thanks again...

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 6:19 PM
mumble

Great choice! Scotland is beautiful! Great scenery and loaded with places worth seeing.

While in Glasgow, take in as much of the oeuvre of Charles Rennie Mcintyre as you can.

Inverarry Castle is lovely!

The city of Perth and castle are well worth a visit.

Be prepared not to be able to understand people's English.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 11:35 AM

Visit Stirling,it's about a 30 min drive from Glasgow and has the William Wallace Monument and Stirling Castle where the Scottish Kings used to sit.
Also has a wonderfull shopping centre and lot's of eating places!!!
I stay 10 miles from it and can vouch that it's a wonderfull city!
Enjoy your visit!!!!!
J.P.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe