HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

View Poll Results: What team would be more successful in Vancouver?
Major League Baseball franchise 14 40.00%
National Basketball League franchise. 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
How about building the MLB baseball stadium out in Surrey...they want a new stadium. I would buy tix to see MLB in Surrey.
Once the almalgamation is complete and Metro-Vancouver is just that..."Metro Vancovuer" we could name the team, "The Vancouver Metro's". But it's Surrey, so maybe, "The Vancouver Heteros"

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:15 AM

Groan

Part of the draw of going to a sporting event is experiencing the excitement and energy of Downtown Vancouver. That is something Surrey unfortunately cannot offer. As well there are better train connections to Downtown. I wish the best for Surrey, but I don't think they'll be ready for the big leagues for at least 60 years.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:24 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

That is the cheeziest debate tactic you could use. We cannot rule out the world ending in 2012, no matter how much evidence you have. Pure cheese.
You consider Vancouver's getting a MLB franchise in the medium future as baseless as the Second Coming, do you?

That's quite funny.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'll put it out there, if Vancouver gets a MLB team to call their own within my lifetime I will buy tickets and food at a game for every SSP:Vancouver member here.
Best promise I'll never have to keep.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:34 AM

I am remembering this, haha!

I personally would love to see MLB in Vancouver, no more need to go to Seattle to watch (which I am doing this September again)

A lot of people i went to high school with were big into baseball and we would travel to Seattle on regular occasions to watch a good old ball game.

Having that in Vancouver would be amazing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:52 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Maybe 30 years in the future, we could model a park after AT&T Park in San Francisco on the rail yards in Gastown. This would quite possibly be the most scenic ballpark in the league.
You mean the most scenic park in the world.

There is also Trillium Park, that vast space adjacent to the train/bus station.

Another great location would be the future Creekside Park expansion area, making North East False Creek a true sports and entertainment mecca. You would have to build the seawall a little further out into False Creek. But the park would have a perfect south-west alignment.

Last edited by Prometheus; Aug 23, 2011 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 5:12 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Maybe 30 years in the future, we could model a park after AT&T Park in San Francisco on the rail yards in Gastown. This would quite possibly be the most scenic ballpark in the league.
I sketched this up about a year ago. Would be awesome, however unlikely. It's modelled off of Fenway (field, stands), Safeco (roof) and AT&T Park (positioning).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Groan

Part of the draw of going to a sporting event is experiencing the excitement and energy of Downtown Vancouver. That is something Surrey unfortunately cannot offer. As well there are better train connections to Downtown. I wish the best for Surrey, but I don't think they'll be ready for the big leagues for at least 60 years.
"If you build it, they will come". Field of Dreams - Kevin Costner

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
"If you build it, they will come". Field of Dreams - Kevin Costner
That may be true for one season. But if the teams continue to suck, then nobody would come. Well, at least, attendance would suffer greatly (i.e. Grizzlies)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:55 PM

Grizzlies attendance never suffered really... though I think they suffered in other areas in later years (e.g. TV viewership, merchandise).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 7:33 PM
BANNED

I really like that ballpark on the water idea so baseball gets my vote.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 8:02 PM

I think it's much more realistic that Vancouver would get a NBA in the near term, just because of the logistical issues involved. However, my vote goes to baseball because I think that there are more baseball fans than basketball fans in the Lower Mainland.

Awvan - that stadium mock up looks amazing. Would be in the perfect location as far as transit, views and stadium atmosphere go. Does anyone know the feasibility of building out over the water like that?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 8:32 PM

Well the old and new convention centre are built in the exact same way on the exact same soil conditions so its entirely possible, just expensive.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:00 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well the old and new convention centre are built in the exact same way on the exact same soil conditions so its entirely possible, just expensive.
Doesn't Kerfoot still own the air rights over that land?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:56 PM

Apparently the Vancouver Canadians have already sold out tonight's game - meaning the 5th sell-out in a row for them.

Appetite for baseball certainly feels to have grown in the last few months out in Vancouver...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Apparently the Vancouver Canadians have already sold out tonight's game - meaning the 5th sell-out in a row for them.

Appetite for baseball certainly feels to have grown in the last few months out in Vancouver...
I wouldn't be surprised if one day, Vancouver gets a MLB franchise (whether through relocation, or expansion). But I think MLB wants to see how viable the market is here, and so far, it's not viable. Selling out Single A Baseball? Not impressive. But gotta admit, the demand is growing, and the people are taking in the sport. IF Vancouver can get up to Triple AAA, and still be selling out, the city may get the attention of MLB. Until that happens, I don't see MLB coming here, for a very long time.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Grizzlies attendance never suffered really... though I think they suffered in other areas in later years (e.g. TV viewership, merchandise).
Well, it did "suffer" cause there was a decline in attendance. Granted, the Grizz still had pretty good attendance for a team that was in last place in the league. But it still declined from the initial games in the franchise's first year.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if one day, Vancouver gets a MLB franchise (whether through relocation, or expansion). But I think MLB wants to see how viable the market is here, and so far, it's not viable. Selling out Single A Baseball? Not impressive. But gotta admit, the demand is growing, and the people are taking in the sport. IF Vancouver can get up to Triple AAA, and still be selling out, the city may get the attention of MLB. Until that happens, I don't see MLB coming here, for a very long time.
Here's an idea. Since Nat Bailey is not suitable for AAA baseball, we could build a new park on the waterfront with 20 000 capacity which would meet AAA standards, and have it expandable (40 000) and up-gradable to MLB standards if the opportunity were to arise for a franchise.

With the setting and the Gastown vibe, the waterfront stadium idea is just too good to give up on. If it can't be MLS then lets try baseball. With the good transit connections and the dense neighborhoods, I could see crowds of over 12 000 people showing up to this awesome setting for baseball on some nights.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Here's an idea. Since Nat Bailey is not suitable for AAA baseball, we could build a new park on the waterfront with 20 000 capacity which would meet AAA standards, and have it expandable (40 000) and up-gradable to MLB standards if the opportunity were to arise for a franchise.

With the setting and the Gastown vibe, the waterfront stadium idea is just too good to give up on. If it can't be MLS then lets try baseball. With the good transit connections and the dense neighborhoods, I could see crowds of over 12 000 people showing up to this awesome setting for baseball on some nights.
well. I guess it's okay for us to dream. I like your idea, I just don't think the Canadian owners would build a multi-million dollar stadium on the waterfront that accomodates 20,000 fans. We're not even guaranteed to get a AAA baseball franchise. We have Single A ball! If Vancouver got a Triple AAA baseball franchise, then, maybe, MAYBE, we can begin dreaming about a MLB franchise. But losing a AAA baseball franchise says something about the market in this city. maybe it's not as "hot" as we all think it may be. While I would never say that your idea would never work, I think if it were to go ahead, it would be a long long time from today. But we can always dream

There's no doubt about it, a lot of people here believe that baseball is a growing sport. But the Canadians selling out 8 straight (I believe, correct me, if I'm wrong here) games says a little bit about the market, but there's still a long, long ways to go. One day, perhaps the city needs to keep it's MLB dreams alive, but at the moment, professional basketball (NBA) is a closer return than MLB, and that's saying something there, because we don't know when we'll get another shot at the NBA. If Vancouver can demonstrate that it can keep it's sports franchises relatively healthy, and there is a supportive market, then I can see Commissioners of other leagues eyeing Vancouver for a potential destination for their products (MLB, NBA, NLL, maybe even the NFL one day?).

We "lost" the NBA here once already, and that's not a good start (however the argument, people will have a perception on Vancouver about that, whether it's fair or not).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 6:21 PM

Was just listening to Team1040 radio, while driving, and heard Tom Mayenecht (sp?), say that it could be a possibility for the owners of the Canadians, to possibly expand Nat Bailey Stadium to 10,000, which apparently, is standard for Triple AAA baseball. I think Vancouver can get AAA baseball again - that would put us in position for a possible MLB franchise down the road. The question is, how are they going to expand, and would the community be on board with that? If not, where else could they build a Triple AAA baseball ballpark in the city?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation