HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 10:46 PM

By the way, here is a bad but updated HDR picture of the City College North Beach/Chinatown building that I took on my phone last weekend.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 10:59 PM

Also, from the looks of this picture, 178 Townsend seems to be moving forward as well. Can anyone confirm?

West Winds
by Bill Lim, on Flickr

For reference:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 11:26 PM
BANNED

333 Harrison was a mystery to me so I dug up some renderings:

Source all images: http://www.dbarchitect.com/projects/slideshow/135.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 6:48 PM

A Trio Of SOM Towers At 50 First Street As Proposed

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Quote:
While the designs for a cluster of Renzo Piano-designed ultra-thin towers at the corner of First and Mission may have fallen by the wayside, plans for building upon the seven parcels a.k.a. 50 First have not as Marcus Heights, LLC, proposes to demolish four existing structures and develop three SOM designed towers ranging in height from 184 to 915 feet with solar/wind energy collection features atop.

The project site, comprising seven parcels, and portions of Elim Alley and Jessie Street, is approximately 56,860 square feet in size. All lots are within Block 3708 and include 50 First Street, 62 First Street, 76‐78 First Street, 88 First Street, 512 Mission Street, 516 Mission Street, and 526 Mission Street; the three parcels with addresses on Mission Street are currently vacant.

The three proposed towers would accommodate a mix of office (approximately 1.25 million square feet), residential (about 182 dwelling units), retail (approximately 43,000 square feet), and hotel (about 266 rooms) use, along with a 15,000‐square‐foot entertainment venue (performance theater), five levels of below grade parking (about 310 spaces), off‐street loading spaces, and publicly accessible open space.

Tower One would front on First Street and would span the portion of Jessie Street that runs through the project site. The 64‐story building would be 850 feet tall to the roof (915 feet tall to the top of the parapet and solar/wind energy collection features), and would include an 83‐foot tall base that would also have frontage on Stevenson Street, where the proposed performance theater would be located. The building would contain approximately 43,000 square feet of retail and the 15,000 sf performance theater on levels one through three. Mechanical space would occupy the topmost story. The remaining 60 stories would provide approximately 1.25 million square feet of office space. The tower would span the easternmost portion of Jessie Street, which would be closed to vehicular traffic and converted into a 20‐foot‐tall public pedestrian passageway (Jessie Street Galleria) flanked by retail space and lobbies serving the office use. The First Street frontage, moving from north to south, would include the theater entrance, office lobby, entrance to the Jessie Street Galleria, second office lobby and a retail store. The Stevenson Street frontage would include retail space and a garage/loading dock driveway separated by an open pedestrian entry to the interior passageway linking Stevenson Street, Mission Street and First Street via the proposed Jessie Street Galleria. An approximately 5,100‐square‐foot publicly accessible roof terrace would be developed atop the 83‐foot tall theater, fronting on Stevenson Street.

Tower Two would front Mission Street and Ecker Place. The 56-story building (605 feet to the roof, 640 feet to the top of the parapet) would include residential and hotel uses above the ground-floor entrances and two levels of hotel service space. Approximately 266 hotel rooms would be located on floors four through 22 and approximately 160 residential units would occupy levels 23 through 55. A mechanical level would occupy floor 56. The ground floor would include a hotel entrance, a residential lobby on Ecker Place, and a retail space at the corner of Mission and Ecker. The hotel lobby would be on the second floor, and hotel function space would occupy level 3. Publicly accessible open space would occupy the set back area between Tower Two and the Mission Street and Ecker Place property lines.

Tower Three would be located at the northwest corner of Mission and First Streets. This 15-story, 174-foot tall building (184 feet tall to the top of the parapet), would include retail space and a residential lobby on the ground floor and 22 residential units on the upper levels. Tower Three would be separated from the rest of the proposed project by a “T” shaped parcel (84 First Street) that is not under the control of the project sponsor and not included in the project site.

The project as proposed would either require approval of the proposed Transit Center District Plan and accompanying rezoning with respect to increased height limits or a site-specific amendment of the Planning Code and General Plan height maps by way of the Board of Supervisors upon recommendation from the Planning Commission.

Next step, the preparation of an environmental impact report (EIR).

Last edited by San Frangelino; Oct 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:49 PM

Some nice renderings at SOM's website for the America's Cup Proposal

via: http://www.som.com/content.cfm/ameri...planning_study

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Some nice renderings at SOM's website for the America's Cup Proposal
I like that they conveniently added the Transbay Tower into the renderings.. quite optimistic of them to think this would be built by 2013 alongside the new piers

Personally I do not think SF will host America's Cup, these proposals will be bogged down in lawsuits from the Chris Daly/ Sue Hestor clans and they will choose another city with a more receptive citizenry.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 4:48 PM

Those new towers could be pretty cool, thanks for the update.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Does anybody have news on when the BOS is to vote on raising height limits around the Transbay neighborhood?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:58 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Didn't they already upzone the area?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:10 AM
Only Mostly Dead

According to the Planning website, the draft EIR should be out anytime now with the final version delivered in Spring. If I understand correctly, at that point the BOS begins the approval process. Who knows how long that will take.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:23 AM
Only Mostly Dead

FYI, the City College Chinatown building has a thread that gets lonely if you want to make updates there too.

BTW, what happened to the new guy so fast? I'm gone a couple days, Carcharodon shows up, adds a bunch of updates and is gone before I can even read them. Oh well, welcome and good bye!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 10:52 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Carcharodon was BTinSF using a fake account. I have no idea why he felt a need to "quit" the forum as BT and then register an alter-ego, but that's what he did.

Anyway--here are snapshots of the proposed First/Mission megadevelopment I took on a quick walk-by a couple hours ago:

Here you see the row in question: the building on the corner of First and Stevenson, 40 First, is staying put:

Jessie Street will end in the middle of the block rather than extending to First Street--this intersection will disappear. It does appear there will be a tunnel-like walkway built on this axis through the new tower for peds, however:

This is Ellim, a really narrow alley that apparently will be completely elim-inated (haha). The buildings on either side will disappear, too:

Of these three, only little 84 First is going to remain:

Looking up First Street from Mission Street. The corner building will go, but the tiny building to the left of it on Mission will apparently stay.

Looking through the vacant lot from Mission Street:

The vacant lot from Ellim alley at Ecker Place, showing the brick backside of holdout 84 First Street:

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 5:28 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery
BTW, what happened to the new guy so fast? I'm gone a couple days, Carcharodon shows up, adds a bunch of updates and is gone before I can even read them. Oh well, welcome and good bye!
Where's BT? Was that him? UPDATE: Oh duh...posted before reading fflint's post. So, who banned him and why? Was he bad in one of the other threads?

Update #2: Figured it out...look at post #19 in the City College Chinatown Campus thread. BTinSF shows as banned on his 24,080 post! He then came back as Carcharodon and apparently got caught and banned again.

Last edited by viewguysf; Oct 7, 2010 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Where's BT? Was that him? UPDATE: Oh duh...posted before reading fflint's post. So, who banned him and why? Was he bad in one of the other threads?

Update #2: Figured it out...look at post #19 in the City College Chinatown Campus thread. BTinSF shows as banned on his 24,080 post! He then came back as Carcharodon and apparently got caught and banned again.
I checked the posts, but I can't see why he was banned? I usually find his posts interesting and sometime educational.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 6:38 AM

If you read fflint's words carefully, it appears BT's first account was not disabled until he created an account under a different name, a no-no in most forums.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 5:47 PM

Ellim Alley

FFLINT - thanks for the pics and the clever humor - always appreciated! I would call it a "crack" rather than an "alley".

Sorry to see that BTinSF was banned. I'm always happy to see different points of view in this forum.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 7:21 PM

WOW San Fran is on a skyscraper boom it seems like, the city skyline alone is one of a kind with the hills and all but with all these new towers, the skyline is going to be phenomenal!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
....Sorry to see that BTinSF was banned. I'm always happy to see different points of view in this forum.
I too will miss his posts. I'm a native of San Francisco now living in Atlanta. Although I rarely make posts, I follow these threads to satisfy my longing for home. BTinSF added a great deal to the various San Francisco threads. I surely hope he was banned for a temporary period and not permanently.

Hmm, getting back on topic, those SOM towers look fantastic. Hopefully, they will somehow, if they're smart, delay any approval process before the Board of Supervisors until that nut Chis Daly is gone.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You think the Giants being in the playoffs is a novelty? That's nothing compared with the scene a half-block from the ballpark: Construction has started on a new batch of luxury condos.

The eight-story building at 750 Second St. will contain 14 units, with a microscopic retail space next to Momo's. As for the architecture, think crisp details rather than cutting edge: brick-red terra cotta facing the ballpark, matted silver aluminum facing aged concrete structures to the north.

Demolition of the small site's prior occupant, a one-story warehouse, began last month. The newcomer should be ready by Opening Day 2012.

"We'd like to think we're doing a contemporary design that picks up on the features of nearby older buildings," says architect Bob Baum of Gould Evans/Baum Thornley. It's a design that sits within the South End Historic District, which meant an additional layer of review.

While the design plays things fairly safe, the development by Manchester Capital Management has one adventurous feature. It aims for LEED Gold certification from the United States Green Building Council.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz12C5X2Si0

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 6:58 PM

Took some pictures of the progress on the Institute on Aging Senior Campus this week.

It looks like it's coming along nicely. I'm actually surprised by how much I like it so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations