HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Holladay Quarter (Cottonwood mall site)

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-illegal.html
These are the instances where I am very happy that Utah is so pro developer. This ignorant crap from low-densityphiles is so frustrating. This newest iteration is a lot better than what Ivory/Woodbury proposed at first, but still you have citizens you want to hold up the process because they want a few strip malls and all single family homes. What kills me is the traffic that the old mall brought in was a lot more than this. This is also why I have a hard time with zoning laws because it enables busy bodies/NIMBY'S.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:47 PM

I think ultimately it will end up irrelevant anyway. I highly doubt that they'll get the required number of signatures for it to even be considered.

In 10 or so years (probably less) when this project is fully built and people have had time to adjust to it, most people will wonder what the big deal ever was, or forget it was even controversial. It really is a solid proposal.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:46 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
These are the instances where I am very happy that Utah is so pro developer. This ignorant crap from low-densityphiles is so frustrating. This newest iteration is a lot better than what Ivory/Woodbury proposed at first, but still you have citizens you want to hold up the process because they want a few strip malls and all single family homes. What kills me is the traffic that the old mall brought in was a lot more than this. This is also why I have a hard time with zoning laws because it enables busy bodies/NIMBY'S.
Problem is the residents of the area have gotten used to traffic without the mall there. I bet those that lived in the area when the mall was around and was at the meeting complaining about traffic will not want to be reminded that there was once a higher volume of traffic before the mall closed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:07 AM

Maps!!!

Municipal political map(for the most part if it isn't within a city it is non developable land). 80% of Utahns live here. It leaves the impression that the Wasatch Front is one interconnected Urban region with too many mayors. I can buy that this is the place but that this is the 50 places just seems gratuitous. We have to start thinking as citizens of the WF and making policy at a more regional level. We all live together. Each "little" town isn't really a town at all but more like a neighborhood that is part of a greater whole.

Green are cities that have adopted a bike master plan, yellow are cities who are working on one according to bikeutah.org Intertwine but nor my first interest in this map.

We've added over 400k people since the data for the next map was gathered and most of that was along the small ribbon that isn't mountains or water along the WF (from the map above,kinda). The next 400k people will mostly live in the darker areas as well. So... what's the plan? Play it by ear with each jurisdiction going its own way?

I fear that we are incredibly ill prepared for the next 2 decades and are lacking an institution that can lead the way. Unless that changes I think that our quality of life is going to take a major hit.

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Jul 12, 2018 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 3:28 PM

Park City/Deer Valley - 14 Million Dollar Updo for Stein Ericksen Lodge

Carolyn Webber Alder - The Park Record - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/stei...ct-new-guests/

Owners of the Stein Eriksen Lodge are proud of its heritage as one of the oldest lodges in Park City, but they also know that all those years require maintenance. The lodge is currently undergoing a $14 million expansion that includes a new pool, outdoor deck, entertainment room and coffee bar. The renovations, which began in June of 2017, are expected to be completed by mid-September.
Jessica Turner, marketing manager of the Stein Collection, said that the update is meant to help the lodge remain "relevant and current" and attract a younger generation of visitors.
The 3,500-square-foot entertainment room, titled Champions Club, includes arcade games and a restaurant, so guests will be able to participate in different activities than what has typically been offered. The theater room, which is now open, will show sports events and family movies on weekend evenings.
"We typically look at what is going to be captivating and keep people on property and provide a new amenity that they would go off property for," she said.
An outdoor family pool is also being added to the lodge, in addition to an outdoor plaza with fire pits. Immediately above the plaza, the upper deck was expanded to allow for more outdoor seating. Wood floors were replaced on the deck as well.
Guests will also be able to easily access the new ski-in, ski-out coffee shop called First Tracks Kaffe, which is located near the former owner's entrance. Stein Eriksen Sport and the ski locker rooms expanded by about 400 square feet.

Construction is underway at the Stein Eriksen Lodge. A new family pool and outdoor deck are part of the $14 million expansion. By Tanzy Propst

Last edited by delts145; Jan 14, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 6:16 PM

Question, how would I find out what is going to be built over at Fashion Place where Applebees used to be? They tore down the building last week, and I have tried looking on Google, but I am probably going about it the wrong way. I just really hope it isn't going to be more parking, that is a prime location for a good restaurant to go in, maybe something new to the state...thanks in advance if anyone can direct me where to go to find out more about it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:06 AM

Does anybody know what is happening by the Millcreek TRAX station? There's a lot near it that had a sign for a while implying that they were looking for a developer for multi-family housing. That lot is now all torn up and it certainly looks like they're preparing to build something. I didn't get a picture as it was late at night when I got a look at it, but it's this location:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7015...7i13312!8i6656

That location has had no TOD, it would be nice to see SOMETHING go there. The area around Central Point is growing up quickly, and the two stations to the south (Meadowbrook and of course Murray North) have seen extensive residential development nearby. Millcreek Station has been a ghost town in comparison.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 11:52 PM

Millcreek Station Apartments
3196 S. Washington Street
Affordable: 56 Units
Market: 14 Units

https://sslc.com/uploads/departments...rt_Millcre.pdf

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:36 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Millcreek Station Apartments
3196 S. Washington Street
Affordable: 56 Units
Market: 14 Units

https://sslc.com/uploads/departments...rt_Millcre.pdf
Kind of surprised to see 3 bedroom units in that development. Seems that more and more only have studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units these days. Kind of limits options like my family of 2 parents, 2 girls and 2 boys.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:29 AM

That's great to see something going there! Especially with affordable housing of 3-4 bedroom units, something that I'm sure is very needed with all the low-income families.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:33 PM
The Drifter

Bob_rulz I did not notice 4 bedroom units when I first glanced through the pdf. That is good to know as in a year or two I might need a place to move too and need the 4th bedroom for a studio/design space. If only there were more 4 bedroom apartments around the SLC valley and next to a TRAX station.

If anyone else knows of large 3 bedroom units or ones with 4 rooms that are in a decent walking distance from a TRAX station it would be great to have that info so I can keep on a spreadsheet for latter use.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:27 PM

Large S. Salt Lake Development

There is a large development taking place around 2800 S West Temple where the older Buehner Cinder Block Company used to be. Anyone know the particulars? They have started framing and most of the foundations have been poured. It looks like a big town home subdivision.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
bumping this as I would still like to know what this apartment building will look like and who is developing it. Happens to be close to my wife's work and where my kids will be going to school next year.
Murray Crossing

Rimrock Construction

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:04 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
Murray Crossing

Rimrock Construction
I eventually found out who was building it and its name. I went digging around the internet last week after taking my wife to work and noticing the construction company. I was extremely disappointed once I found out that it was only studio, 1 bed, and 2 bed units. Would have been a perfect location to live with my wife working at IMC and kids going to school at AISU.

On the plus side, the architectural drawings show 20,000 square feet of retail space available. The building on the corner has all the ground floor as retail and the second building towards the TRAX line is mainly the offices and club house. There is a little bit of retail in that building with two spaces.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:46 PM

Yeah, It would be nice if they included some 3 bedroom units. That lumber business across the street has moved, so I think that land will be used for more development.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 11:37 PM
The Drifter

That would be nice. I would like to see more housing and even businesses move into that area soon as I would hope that the retail portion of Murray Crossing will be successful. From Google Maps I see there is an open lot just north on Commerce Dr. and hope some company is now eying that property with Murray Crossing and EMI Health on that corner.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:58 PM

I am putting this here as this ends up impacting both Provo and Salt Lake but overall I think the Salt Lake side ends up feeling it more:

https://fox13now.com/2018/08/28/traf...pidly-develop/

Quote:
LEHI, Utah -- Lehi City said their roads could be headed for failure if they don't come up with a plan to handle future traffic numbers, amid a boom of business and neighborhood development.
It's a concern to the point that the city said they're asking developers to hold off on submitting new proposals.

Right now, drivers deal with traffic in Lehi daily during rush hour. Cars will clog I-15 around Point of the Mountain, down to the exits for Timpanogos Highway and 2100 North.

Seth Bailey, who said he drives to Lehi from South Jordan a couple times a week, said it's always backed up.

"Try to get off, off the off-ramp usually in both directions is kind of a disaster," he said.

Terry Ferrell, who lives in Alpine and works in Lehi, said he's started to take back roads instead.

"It takes a long time to get where you got to get," he said. "I try not to take those roads."

Both said they've seen the explosive development in the area, as new businesses and neighborhoods spring up in north Lehi.

"There is no question right now, it is pretty bad," said Lehi City Mayor Mark Johnson.

He said large planning groups, including the Point of the Mountain Commission, Wasatch Regional Council and Mountainland Association of Governments (MAG), have told the city that the future transportation system in that area will see problems if they don't address it.

The city hired traffic engineers to conduct a study on the roads in north Lehi, and while Johnson said the review isn't complete, they already have some idea how things are looking.

"We realize the numbers are concerning," Johnson said.

While UDOT construction along I-15 including a brand new overpass is underway to help relieve congestion, Johnson said as they project numbers well out into the years 2025, they're seeing that traffic issues could redevelop.

"It's a difficult situation because the level of service of many of those roads will fall to a level of service 'F,'" Johnson explained. "It's similar to a high school grade, that means failure."

To stop the roads from failing, the city will need to look at road projects, and Johnson said that includes areas from the point of the Mountain down to 2100 North, and parts of Timpanogos Highway.

He said they'll look at another outlet for Thanksgiving Point.

"Looking at any improvements we can, to remove some of the traffic off the major corridors and give them alternative routes," he said.

They'll also talk with developers to make sure their traffic projections match up with the city's, as future plans in Lehi take shape.

"We are asking the developers to hold off with submittals right now until we can start mutually working on the area plans and make sure we get our arms wrapped around this situation," he said.

Johnson said the city's not applying a moratorium on development, though he said it's been brought up.

He expressed that with mutual planning, he was confident they could take care of the issues.

The traffic study isn't quite finished yet, and Johnson said they're still waiting on a housing study so they can apply the future housing model into the new traffic numbers.
This is one reason that the State is pushing for the Trax Blue Line to be pushed into Utah County as well as for FrontRunner to be double tracked. UDoT has moved up and started construction on I-15 in the area and they are already planning to start work on the southern end of the Mountain View Corridor to 2100 in Lehi to help pull some strain off of I-15.

Lehi is slowing down development but not stopping while they are waiting on the road study to come back.

I do wish that Lehi also look at possibly creating a city shuttle service that could run from the FrontRunner stop in a loop through maybe the Thanksgiving Point center - East on 2100 N until across I-15 then take the North Frontage Road to Highway 92 - loop back at IM Flash, leaving 92 at Morning Vista Road to hit Xactware and Ancestry before Adobe - Return to 92 before going back to the other side of I-15 to complete the loop.

I think if the the shuttle would run every 15 minutes or less, it would do wonders to reduce traffic on I-15, the only hiccup would be capacity on FrontRunner.

The Shuttle could be partially paid for by the tech companies. They can offer transit passes as an employee benefit and a yearly amount towards the shuttle as part of their business taxes.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:49 PM

I have a sister-in-law that lives in Lehi and man visiting her is getting tough. The traffic is getting brutal. I am not impressed with how that cities roads connect or rather do not. I think that, along with, the things Makid mentioned, they could improve traffic flow SO much in that city if they made a concerted effort to connect roads going East-West, particularly running under I-15 and improvements with the North-South connections. Cutting new connections under I-15 would be expensive, but looks pretty cheap when faced with the cost double tracking/electrifying Frontrunner and extending the Blue Line.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:16 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I am putting this here as this ends up impacting both Provo and Salt Lake but overall I think the Salt Lake side ends up feeling it more:

https://fox13now.com/2018/08/28/traf...pidly-develop/

This is one reason that the State is pushing for the Trax Blue Line to be pushed into Utah County as well as for FrontRunner to be double tracked. UDoT has moved up and started construction on I-15 in the area and they are already planning to start work on the southern end of the Mountain View Corridor to 2100 in Lehi to help pull some strain off of I-15.

Lehi is slowing down development but not stopping while they are waiting on the road study to come back.

I do wish that Lehi also look at possibly creating a city shuttle service that could run from the FrontRunner stop in a loop through maybe the Thanksgiving Point center - East on 2100 N until across I-15 then take the North Frontage Road to Highway 92 - loop back at IM Flash, leaving 92 at Morning Vista Road to hit Xactware and Ancestry before Adobe - Return to 92 before going back to the other side of I-15 to complete the loop.

I think if the the shuttle would run every 15 minutes or less, it would do wonders to reduce traffic on I-15, the only hiccup would be capacity on FrontRunner.

The Shuttle could be partially paid for by the tech companies. They can offer transit passes as an employee benefit and a yearly amount towards the shuttle as part of their business taxes.
'This' is the consequence of: Do what is right for the pocketbook, not for the people. Ramshackle, mindless sprawl.

"Who cares what is right for the community and the long term! We developers want our short term profits Now!"

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:25 AM

Salt Lake City should take this opportunity to reach out to these developers and say "We will gladly take your development proposals." We have had a grid system from the start and handling this kind of traffic is no problem for us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West