HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
It is officially 'roof ready', but practically speaking, there will never be a complete roof put on it.
I wouldn't say "Never". But I would say maybe 50 years down the road if the province hits a boom again of some sort. We'll all be too old to go to football games by that point anyways.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I wouldn't say "Never". But I would say maybe 50 years down the road if the province hits a boom again of some sort. We'll all be too old to go to football games by that point anyways.
No one is going to put a roof on a 50 year old stadium... by that point the discussion will be oriented toward building something new.

After all, this is North America, the continent where we demolish barely 20-year old stadiums and arenas without a trace of shame!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I heard the sound was really good in some areas and muffled in other areas.

Great photo! Is it yours, Stormer?

Curious how the buses were for the concert? Did you drive or hop transit?
No I swiped it from Twitter. I now added credit. Below are some of my own pics.

Transit was fantastic. I took the downtown bus. There was huge line going there but 4 buses came in quick succession. There was no wait after the concert and our diver took a shortcut out of there.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Regina has specifically said they would put in real grass temporarily if the ever got World Cup games. It is actually not terribly difficult, I am told. If the artificial turf is in good shape. it can be reinstalled.

Totally agree about McMahon.
Part of the World Cup site selection is looking at the ability of the host city to accommodate the teams, media, fans, etc. As a former Olympic host city it is not surprising that McMahon made the short list.

--

In terms of concerts at Mosaic the possible affects of weather on the staging sound/lighting in the fringe seasons (May, Oct) and that those type of shows would also need to play places like McMahon, IGF and Tim Horton's Field makes it almost a complete no. You don't want to have a tightly scheduled tour and then need to burn a day due to weather.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:16 PM

If the concert in Winnipeg was any indication, you guys in SK had a great time. GNR was tremendous here.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I heard the sound was really good in some areas and muffled in other areas.

Great photo! Is it yours, Stormer?

Curious how the buses were for the concert? Did you drive or hop transit?
I was in Section 118 and would agree the sound was muffled. Got better as the night went on but when there was just talking or high pitch singing, it wasn't as clear as it could be - got reverberation.

Given the size of the stadium, amount of people and it being outdoor - was still a very impressive concert. Just need to do something about the drink lines backing up into the concourse and impeding people walking to their seats. Not sure if there is a simple solution for that though. I suspect Rider games aren't as bad as a rock concert, for this issue.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:30 PM

Reading the Investors Group Field thread, it sounded like there were a lot of folks with issues relating to congestion of concourses @ the GNR concert. I've experienced the congestion during Banjo Bowl and don't really know how IGF can solve this issue (other than reducing capacity??).

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised on how decent the "congestion" was @ New Mosaic last night. I don't know the total number of tickets sold for the GNR concert (it had to be 33,000+?), but the only issues in moving around were when you'd hit a merchandise booth where people were lined up straight back (instead of to the side). The General Admission Lounge had tons of space, the concourses and isle had tons of space. It was a great experience all together.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:14 PM

Yeah concourse congestion was not that bad for the concert for the lower bowl and for the upper concourse it was no problem at all either.

The only issue i had and i think many other people had were those folks that drink whisky and vodka, like myself. Beer lines would be 5-10min to get through. The hard alcohol lines were 20-30min.

I think they could do a better job at locating those booths as well. Only having 2 hard alcohol locations and something like 4 for beer was brutal, and the fact that there located on the east and west side with 2 beer booths being on the north side within 200 feet approx: of each other, was making for packed lines virtually back to the wall of the concourse for the hard liquor lines

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:39 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/gunsnrose...864000/photo/1

Here's a great link front gnrs' twitter of a sold out mosaic stadium.

wasn't sure how to post the pic

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/gunsnrose...864000/photo/1

Here's a great link front gnrs' twitter of a sold out mosaic stadium.

wasn't sure how to post the pic
It's hard to post from mobile but really easy from a PC.

Last edited by Stormer; Aug 29, 2017 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
Reading the Investors Group Field thread, it sounded like there were a lot of folks with issues relating to congestion of concourses @ the GNR concert. I've experienced the congestion during Banjo Bowl and don't really know how IGF can solve this issue (other than reducing capacity??).

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised on how decent the "congestion" was @ New Mosaic last night. I don't know the total number of tickets sold for the GNR concert (it had to be 33,000+?), but the only issues in moving around were when you'd hit a merchandise booth where people were lined up straight back (instead of to the side). The General Admission Lounge had tons of space, the concourses and isle had tons of space. It was a great experience all together.
Yeah, we're stuck with too-narrow concourse. To be fair, I always defended this point because even when I've been to busy Bombers' games, I find it busy but not ridiculous. But when you get to the max capacity, it becomes a very dangerous and uncomfortable situation.

I equate it with an abandonment of duties. It really seemed like security and event staff got the heck out of dodge. They *could* have handled it better by having security actually do security.

And to be fair, by my recollection its a temporary scenario. For example, between the opening act and GNR is when everyone was in the concourse so it was horrible. Once GNR began playing, it was a lot better because everyone was in their seats.

This would have been better addressed when building/designing IGF. I love the stadium but it was simply not meant to move 33,000 people comfortably.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:55 PM

New World Cup 2018 stadium in Russia. Love the seat pattern.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Only having 2 hard alcohol locations and something like 4 for beer was brutal, and the fact that there located on the east and west side with 2 beer booths being on the north side within 200 feet approx: of each other, was making for packed lines virtually back to the wall of the concourse for the hard liquor lines
So, were the concessions not open? I continually see people complain online about the lineups to get beer at a Rider game... there are like 3taps at every single concession register... so, for a typically sized concession, this is like 10-12taps.

And then people complain about beer being overpriced. Many of these same people opt to buy 12oz cans for precisely the same price at 16oz draft is sold for at every food concession.

(I mean, I'll complain til the end of time about the shitty beer selection... but availability is not an issue)

First game I went to - I'm walking back to my seat with a beer in each hand. Guy comes up to me -
"Where'd you find beer?!?! There's wine stands everywhere, and liquor everywhere... but NO beer!"
[jaw drops]
"There are several draft taps at every. single. concession. in. the. stadium."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
So, were the concessions not open? I continually see people complain online about the lineups to get beer at a Rider game... there are like 3taps at every single concession register... so, for a typically sized concession, this is like 10-12taps.

And then people complain about beer being overpriced. Many of these same people opt to buy 12oz cans for precisely the same price at 16oz draft is sold for at every food concession.

(I mean, I'll complain til the end of time about the shitty beer selection... but availability is not an issue)

First game I went to - I'm walking back to my seat with a beer in each hand. Guy comes up to me -
"Where'd you find beer?!?! There's wine stands everywhere, and liquor everywhere... but NO beer!"
[jaw drops]
"There are several draft taps at every. single. concession. in. the. stadium."
I agree. People will line up at the first sign that says BEER and look no further.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I agree. People will line up at the first sign that says BEER and look no further.
I noticed a similar issue with the washrooms - lines extending out the door of the washroom... but 2 or 3 other washrooms within eyesight had no line at all. Seen this at every New Mosaic event I've been to.

Most recent game, a guy was taking a picture of the line - clearly irritated & (I assume) planning to post to social media. He was still in the line when I was heading back to my seat (after using the next washroom on the concourse). Lemmings are amusing.

(I suppose this may highlight that improved signage could assist... but I'm not confident these folks would read the signs)

I will say that an easy way to mitigate some of the concession lines issues would be to lower the menu boards/mount them *outside* the concession. People can't see what's on the menu until they're near the front... like 2nd in line. People end up deciding while at the front of the line, rather than while in line. Slows things down. (fairly certain a couple of the concessions have already had their boards lowered)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I noticed a similar issue with the washrooms - lines extending out the door of the washroom... but 2 or 3 other washrooms within eyesight had no line at all. Seen this at every New Mosaic event I've been to.

Most recent game, a guy was taking a picture of the line - clearly irritated & (I assume) planning to post to social media. He was still in the line when I was heading back to my seat (after using the next washroom on the concourse). Lemmings are amusing.

(I suppose this may highlight that improved signage could assist... but I'm not confident these folks would read the signs)

I will say that an easy way to mitigate some of the concession lines issues would be to lower the menu boards/mount them *outside* the concession. People can't see what's on the menu until they're near the front... like 2nd in line. People end up deciding while at the front of the line, rather than while in line. Slows things down. (fairly certain a couple of the concessions have already had their boards lowered)
I have been to every event at Mosaic and not once have I come close to having to line up for the toilet.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 11:53 PM

There are beer taps at the concessions and they were all open but alot of that is speciality beer and also wine. I Was simply talking hard liquor (for which i only drink) cannot be purchased at concession stands only from 2 booths that are set up in the east and west sides.

People certainly new about the taps in the concession line up, as I got a tour of the keg room. It was about the size of the walk in cooler at sobeys on rochdale. Our tour guide said they were already through 100 kegs half way through the concert and that was just 1 room out of 2 keg rooms.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
There are beer taps at the concessions and they were all open but alot of that is speciality beer and also wine. I Was simply talking hard liquor (for which i only drink) cannot be purchased at concession stands only from 2 booths that are set up in the east and west sides.

People certainly new about the taps in the concession line up, as I got a tour of the keg room. It was about the size of the walk in cooler at sobeys on rochdale. Our tour guide said they were already through 100 kegs half way through the concert and that was just 1 room out of 2 keg rooms.
There is a very large hard liquor concession you are missing, but I am not sharing online because the lines are really short!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:07 PM

This settles the bogus claims that the tunnel was insufficient:

Quote:
Chamberlain calls the stadium "ideal" in regards to accessibility and ease of use.
"It's a beautiful facility. It's designed to get in," he said.
"A lot of places don't have a big enough tunnel for us to drive in. The ground cover is key so we can actually drive all the trucks on the ground."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...2017-1.4263915

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:09 AM
Hmm....

There's an announcement on social media that there is to be an unveiling of a statue NW of the stadium to 2 Rider legends on fan day this weekend. Sounds like the Lancaster-Reed type installation that a lot of fans were hoping to see happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan