HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:48 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Just finished the National September 11 Memorial & Museum section of piece.

Poor pic taken at 1am from my mobile.

Funny I didn't know what those two odd white wrapped things were (below the cranes) until recently (thanks to the pics you all have posted and checking out the Museum's site). For those that don't know they're two trident beams from the base of original WTC towers that are part of the center piece of the Museum.

The polished (or covered) tridents as seen looking up one of the Towers
Bucky Turco from http://animalnewyork.com/2010/09/mor...t-ground-zero/

The raw steel tridents in artist rendition within the Museum.
'curbed' http://www.flickr.com/photos/curbed/...609966/detail/

The first sign of humanity painted in. A lone construction worker walking towards the SE corner of the Museum (see lower right corner of the 1st pic above).

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Last edited by UrbanImpressionist; Aug 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 12:05 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha

WFC-WTC south walkway
(1:1 ratio)

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Last edited by UrbanImpressionist; Aug 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 7:48 PM

West St. finished:

West St. north/south traffic and Vesey Street Walkway
(One WTC on the right)

Just north of the South WFC/WTC walkway
Liberty St. (to the North Cove Marina), Liberty St. WFC walkway, and site construction on the right.

Last edited by UrbanImpressionist; Aug 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 3:00 AM

Impressive work!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 9:07 AM

So good.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 5:31 AM

Thanks Otie & uaarkson.

Final edits on the large painting: "Twenty-Seven Cranes - Bringing the WTC back to Life"

Last edited by UrbanImpressionist; Aug 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 4:40 PM

Helo over the Hudson:

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 1:12 AM

That is overwhelmingly good. I can envision it right now hanging in a downtown gallery selling for $900 per canvas, or something... not that I would know. I do know that it is good though. I'll bet you could make some profit off of this, or help raise money for something with it. Great job!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
That is overwhelmingly good. I can envision it right now hanging in a downtown gallery selling for $900 per canvas, or something... not that I would know. I do know that it is good though. I'll bet you could make some profit off of this, or help raise money for something with it. Great job!
Thank you JHoward. Not counting the small study, there's only one canvas though (4 x 8 feet - the pics are just elements of it). Wasn't planning to bring up the necessary evil of money but perhaps some were wondering and it may help to enlighten some to the unseen overhead of art.

My smaller 14" X 18"s go for the price you mentioned. This oil painting will be in the low five figures. I have a few very kind gallery directors advising me on technical improvements and pricing.
^ That said I hope no one thinks I'll be getting rich off this. If they do they can think again. I've put my UI design career on hold to work on this important subject and have well over 200 hrs in this (+ travel, shipping, materials, costs, etc). My goal is to just to break even and have money to continue to travel and paint.
You're right on the latter. I will be donating 1/3 of profit for this to the FDNY Foundation

I also have plans to completely donate the following to The Leary Firefighters Foundation when they hold another charity event:

"Two Alarm"
(New York City)
Oil on Canvas, 16 x 20 inches

--------------------
Fine images of Seattle BTW!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 3:01 PM
Closed account

This is amazing work! Maybe someone asked already, but how long does it take for you to finish a painting?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 4:11 PM

sensational!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
This is amazing work! Maybe someone asked already, but how long does it take for you to finish a painting?
Varies depending on size, detail of the scene, whether I can get any plein air time in, how well I can stay away from distractions, and whether I've had a few drinks Over the years I've gained confidence, speed, and looseness, so thankfully the times have come down but I'd still like to get faster and looser.
  • A smaller (14x18 or 16x20 inches) I can do in just about 15 hours (like 4-5 on site and 10 to finish).
  • Bigger (2x4 - 3x4 ft) can take around 60-80 hrs.
  • This one is far more than average. I've been keeping track and will tally the hrs once done.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 2:12 AM

Between starting a new job a few weeks ago and being sick as of late, hadn't had any time to paint. I did get a short stint on the local news which I'll post once I figure out how to edit it off my DVD-RW (apparently I picked the wrong type of DVD for easy editing

Still sick on a Sat night so might as well nurse a martini and finish the equipments around 4 WTC:

Unfortunately, and obviously, unable to complete this for the 10th anniversary, I'm trying to look on the upside towards the time I'll now have to focus on finding a good home for it by the 11th anniversary (when the Museum is finished and One WTC is pretty much done on the outside).

Last edited by UrbanImpressionist; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:09 AM

Four WTC done:

Last edited by UrbanImpressionist; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 10:00 PM

I know I'm no Brad Pitt, but I'd like to think I'm more charismatic than this after 8am when the camera crew came and without a cold

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 6:24 PM

Amazing. You must be the first SSPer to make it on TV.

Any chance you'll be selling the painting?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 2:54 AM

Thanks jigglysquishy. It is in fact for sale (see post #49 for more details).

Due to the size and subject of it, I'll be initially only pursuing museums or buyers who commit to showing it in a public space.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 5:42 PM
Astorian

Impressive work you are doing! I love all the little details like the people, the lights on the cars. Everything is coming together nicely! I hope it brings you great satisfaction and an enormous feeling of accomplishment once it is done!

I envy artists sometimes haha, you have true, wonderful talent and you are using it for a good cause! And you aren't bad looking at all! It's a winning situation!

Keep up the good work and the updates!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
Impressive work you are doing! I love all the little details like the people, the lights on the cars. Everything is coming together nicely! I hope it brings you great satisfaction and an enormous feeling of accomplishment once it is done!

I envy artists sometimes haha, you have true, wonderful talent and you are using it for a good cause! And you aren't bad looking at all! It's a winning situation!

Keep up the good work and the updates!
Danke NYCLuver. Yeah I'm def looking forward to finishing this up already! Finished the middle today.

North Tower Footprint:

South Tower Footprint:

Pouring cement into the museum below:

Just a couple more areas at the bottom and adding some texture in places.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:45 AM

SIGNED!

Still will have a few minor contrast changes after another critique but ~ 99% done. Kicking around adding a QR Code (sample below). I'd either actually try to paint it or varnish a printout in as subtly as possible.
Pros: modern & leads to a webpage that describes the painting history
Cons: might not blend in and might be considered inappropriate
Whad'ya all think?

Without QR Code?

or with QR Code? (it wouldn't stick out if I went forward with including it)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art