HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Was there a dedicated thread for this proposal? I can't seem to find it.
Right here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229046

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah, aldermen can be pandering idiots in more ways than just "cut the height, density, won't anyone think of the child'n?!?!?" In this case its "please eliminate any and all distinguishing design features because my moronic constituents would like it to take 2X as long to pass through the site on the way to the lakefront. Voters in this ward really like to meander and would like you to build them a place where they can do that!".

This is exactly why we need an actual planning department and not aldermanic prerogative. Design by committee but the committee consists solely of idiots with literally no knowledge of what they are asking for.
So the people chimed in with some suggestions OTHER than height and density and you STILL go off on them. SOOOO should people have NO say in what they want around them? I am not a fan of NIMBYs but who are you to think you know what should be built near where other people live? Its a kind reverse nimbysm. Standards being set are fine and taking some power away from the alderman is good too....but you have to provide some mechanism for the people who actually live there to voice their concerns/opinions.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:39 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
add green space for buildings on / adjacent to a park? that is pandering at it's worst...

add security guards? let's add a wall and make it a brazilian compound..
Is a Brazilian compound when you cross a waxing spa with a military base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
That's the goal!
No, when talking about Brazil, that's the GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALL!!!!
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:23 PM

They should just put all the buildings against LSD and consolidate the greenspace to the west creating a mini-LakeShore Park between the existing and new towers. They could put a soccer field or something there instead of having small 'chunks' of green space that aren't really big enough to be used for anything.

In reality there should be no more green space on these sites because the immediate area is surrounded by more green space than just about any place in the city, but that ship has sailed at this point.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:29 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Reilly Rejects Lakeshore East Parcel "IJKL" Proposal

Dear Neighbor:

I am writing to provide you with an update regarding LendLease and Magellan Development Group's proposed development of parcels "I, J, K & L" in Planned Development #70 that governs zoning in the Lakeshore East neighborhood.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...st-development

December 13, 2017

Alderman rejects Lakeshore East development plan

Left, a view of Lakeshore East from the Chicago River; right, a rendering of one of the buildings by bKL Architecture.

The Chicago developer that wants to build more than 1,400 residential units and 300 hotel rooms between the Chicago River and Millennium Park must go back to the drawing board after downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly rejected its plan.
Magellan Development Group in July proposed the construction of three towers, including one standing 80 stories tall, in Lakeshore East, a massive project the firm has been developing for more than 15 years. The development includes the curvy Aqua Tower, completed several years ago, and Vista Tower, a 94-story skyscraper rising along the river.
But Reilly, 42nd, told Magellan and its partner, Lendlease, that the project “will not move forward in its current form,” according to an email from the alderman to constituents today.

The alderman did not directly criticize the density of the development but cited several concerns about it that don't look like deal breakers. Among other things, he wants more green space, better security and improved garage access, according to the email. He also raised concerns about the distance between the towers.
Magellan and Lendlease need to “reassess the positioning of towers on the podium and make a greater effort to ensure distances between newly proposed towers and existing buildings are more consistent with setbacks that currently govern the site,” Reilly wrote.
Reilly's email did not take issue with a fourth tower that Magellan also wants to build at Lakeshore East, a high-rise that was included in the proposal unveiled in July. That building would include as many as 640 residential units and 626 hotel rooms on a site known as Parcel O, at 195 N. Columbus Drive, just south of Aqua

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:12 AM

I love this city, bit it can be maddening

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 1:48 PM

seems like relatively minor revisions

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:39 PM

Reilly likes to get his name in the paper, but it does look like minor adjustments. I sure hope so as this whole plan is stunning.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I love this city, bit it can be maddening
My buddy just relocated from Chicago to San Fran. The city council there is packed with NIMBYs and if even so much as a 3 unit condo gets proposed in an area where it is already allowed you can expect public protests.... yes, protests.

I find our system here to be "broken" but "functional".

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:21 PM
Team Alinghi

Looks like Onni pretty light-up crane at Old Town Park is ready to come down. I wonder if they'll just move it to over the next tower...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
My buddy just relocated from Chicago to San Fran. The city council there is packed with NIMBYs and if even so much as a 3 unit condo gets proposed in an area where it is already allowed you can expect public protests.... yes, protests.

Chicago is pretty good about development, actually. If anything the city should be more strict in enforcing aesthetic standards and protecting the pedestrian environment (and relaxing or completely getting rid of parking minimums).

Paul Krugman even calls it out as an example here:

Quote:
Chicago is a huge city with dense development but relatively low housing prices; maybe it has some lessons to teach the rest of us?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/o...velopment.html
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:40 PM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

good perspective there... reminds me, i have friends in SF that own a two unit building. they were BARRED from taking down a wall and making their own home a one unit building

"we want freedom, unless we want to take away your property rights".....spare me

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:22 PM

Sterling Bay has submitted zoning applications for their three-tower proposal where Green t meets the railroad tracks. Specifics for each individual towers were rarely specified, but the NW tower will be 298 ft and have 256 parking spots. The SW & SE towers will 295 & 280 ft respectively and will have a total of 531 parking spots. That means the project as a whole will have 787 parking spots. The applications don't say how much office space there will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's well over a million sqft. Also there's gonna be a ton of retail, so don't be surprised if you see this corner of Fulton Market become pretty lively in a few years.

Map: https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...for-west-town/

NW Tower: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

SW Tower: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

SE Tower: Same link as above

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:33 PM
The City

Wow. That's a lot of office space. They must be getting a ton of interest.

787 parking spots is a lot and I hope they lower it. But the number of people employed in all 3 buildings I imagine would be in the thousands, so that's still 1 on site parking spot for every 3-4 employees (my guess), so with that perspective a majority of people would still need to find another means to get there.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow. That's a lot of office space. They must be getting a ton of interest.

787 parking spots is a lot and I hope they lower it. But the number of people employed in all 3 buildings I imagine would be in the thousands, so that's still 1 on site parking spot for every 3-4 employees (my guess), so with that perspective a majority of people would still need to find another means to get there.
It could also be that these are longer-term plans, the lot at Kinzie and Green is currently being turned into a proper parking lot, so it might be a while before they tear that back out to build.

Last edited by streetline; Dec 14, 2017 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:31 PM

This kind of feels like Sterling Bay is arming for something. Like a major corporate relo or expansion.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:48 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
All three by SOM?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:03 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
This kind of feels like Sterling Bay is arming for something. Like a major corporate relo or expansion.
Amazon?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:12 AM

Either that or Sterling Bay is literally swimming in cash after breaking of a long string of ridiculous corporate adaptive reuse projects which are basically just pure profit. Think of it, they started with Hillshire Brands and have just doubled down their profits from that deal into grabbing every huge prime property they can tie down in the downtown periphery. Hillshire, Google, now McDonalds. They've rolled huge profits from those deals into grabbing up all of the North Branch and most of the rest of the West Loop. They don't need to have tenants for all of these projects because they are swimming in cash and probably buying half of these properties cash with investor money. It's not like land between the West Loop and Wicker Park or Wicker Park and Lincoln Park is going to crash in value any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:52 AM
The City

^ If they really dump that much office into the market on spec, then it's truly game on with Loop landlords. They could cannabilize the Loop.

I think they will create a new office district that will, for a short run, weaken the Loop and other markets. But in the long run everything will equilibrate and I'm betting we will have a much broader and healthier downtown, and I would argue a much more interesting one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations