HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 10:44 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The house that was taken in is most likely fucked, although it could be restored but its right next to a highway across the street and its in a pretty high crime rate ghetto. The fireplace wasnt removed. I knocked it with my foot and all the soot fell out of it and partially collapsed onto the floor. Its in a neighborhood called Manchester north of downtown. The house is the same house I have pictured that has all the vines growing on it. Its pretty well screwed considering the neighborhood its in which is a huge shame considering the house probably dates from the 1850s-1870s. Yet again another neighborhood destroyed by highways and urban renewal bs of the mid 1900s. Ive seen far worse stuff get restored in north st louis but I just dont see that part of this city being restored although parts of Manchester have been restored in the past 10 years but the restored parts have quickly turned into ghetto shitholes again. We will just have to wait for gentrification to take hold to improve this neighborhood and insure the preservation of it.
How would one bring gentrification to the North Shore? Would you start with Allegheny Center and work your way out (I consider that to be the heart of the North Shore), or would you start at Manchester or Chateau and work eastward?

It truly is a shame that such fascinating pieces of architecture have fallen into a state of disrepair and neglect.

If anyone wants another example of how urban "renewal" during the 1950s-'80s and '90s destroyed downtowns, look at the monstrosities unleashed around Jacksonville! Someone posted a thread about that, and it almost literally broke my heart...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 11:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Theres already gentrification going on in the Mexican War Streets. which isnt too far from Manchester. Its badly needed in Manchester before the entire neighborhood is lost.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 3:52 PM
Ms AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
That is the Waterfront and Homestead viewed from Braddock.
The Waterfront was once the site of the larges steel mill in the world, Homestead works.
That's not Braddock, it's Duck Hollow, which is right below Squirrel Hill. Braddock is about two miles upstream from here.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 10:41 PM
furified freestyle

oooh, burgh, you a dirty monster. nice set lith, looks like you're enjoying yourself out there. lots of great new angles i'm unfamiliar with in this set. love the first one and the shot of the icy stairs ... watch yer step. and this one:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 11:02 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Hey Sasso, you know damn well you need to come out here for a visit now that you're only on the other side of the State! Of course, some of us could always come out to Philly as well! Hahaha

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 11:44 PM

very nice set. great city. did you shoot atlanta recently?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 12:40 AM
Ex Houstonian

I was only in Atlanta for about 24 hours or so, while on my drive up to Pittsburgh from Houston. At some point Ill make a thread with the photos from that epic trip.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
furified freestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Hey Sasso, you know damn well you need to come out here for a visit now that you're only on the other side of the State! Of course, some of us could always come out to Philly as well! Hahaha

Aaron (Glowrock)
believe me, i am acutely aware how overdue i am for a proper pittsburgh visit. it's downright offensive!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

I finally got a job here in pittsburgh so it looks like I'm here to stay. Yay!!! I was really worried I was going to find shit and would have to move back in with my parents in the shitty suburbs of Houston.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:48 PM

Quote:
I finally got a job here in pittsburgh so it looks like I'm here to stay. Yay!!! I was really worried I was going to find shit and would have to move back in with my parents in the shitty suburbs of Houston.
I've really been meaning to comment on this fantastic thread, but this gives me reason to.

CONGRATS, man! I am very, very happy for you.

Seems the Burgh really suits you. What a polar opposite of your former home!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

The best thing is is that I no longer have to be surrounded by good ole boy rednecks 24/7 like i have for every single job ive ever had. It's just normal city people who aren't a bunch of homophobic gun nuts, so it's a breath of fresh air.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
The best thing is is that I no longer have to be surrounded by good ole boy rednecks 24/7 like i have for every single job ive ever had. It's just normal city people who aren't a bunch of homophobic gun nuts, so it's a breath of fresh air.
LOL! I can totally understand that. Unfortunately, some of my friends have to deal with that shit every day.

Luckily for me, being in the Travel biz those types are pretty nonexistent. Cool, well traveled gays & straights run the show!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:37 PM

The pictures are gorgeous, but taken as a whole they seem to depict a city with a great skyline in a lovely setting that is also incredibly blighted, semi-deserted in parts, and kind of depressing in a romantic and moody sort of way. I know that Pittsburgh has some beautiful places near the center that you might also want to include in order to provide a more balanced portrait of a city that a lot of SSP forumers seem to hold in high regard. I have not been to Pittsburgh in 20 years. I remember wanting to like it very much, but I came up feeling kind of blah about the place. I would imagine the city has improved considerably since that time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:19 AM

Great set. I've always loved Pitt and it's nice to see it moving from survival mode to almost thriving.

Signed,

A liberal gay dude who loves Houston

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The pictures are gorgeous, but taken as a whole they seem to depict a city with a great skyline in a lovely setting that is also incredibly blighted, semi-deserted in parts, and kind of depressing in a romantic and moody sort of way. I know that Pittsburgh has some beautiful places near the center that you might also want to include in order to provide a more balanced portrait of a city that a lot of SSP forumers seem to hold in high regard. I have not been to Pittsburgh in 20 years. I remember wanting to like it very much, but I came up feeling kind of blah about the place. I would imagine the city has improved considerably since that time.
You're not too far off the mark in your perceptions, austlar1. Pittsburgh IS a city with a great skyline in an incredibly gorgeous setting that happens have many blighted areas along with some parts which are very, very much depopulated. No doubt, she's a gritty, somewhat blighted place in areas!

Even in the two years (nearly to the day) that I've been in Pittsburgh, I've seen many, many positive changes. Tons of redevelopment, a huge amount of renovations of historic buildings and a generally more upbeat feeling about the city's present and future.

But yes, if you're not one for grit, it's probably best not to visit this place!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Still on the original post, but two thoughts:

1. ALL of the pictures with fog, every single one, is gorgeous.

2. It's depressing me how much the poorest, most run-down parts of this city resemble the best of my own.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Dude, St Johns has some of the prettiest neighborhoods in North America imo.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hey, thanks. That gives me hope . Obviously, my focus has been on attractive areas... but there's certainly no type of bad area that I haven't shared at least once.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 6:19 PM

Looks like Pittsburgh will treat you well. Some places are just more photogenic than others. Love the night shots with the fog and your interiors are stellar. Great set.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:53 AM

very nice set of photos, and amazing photography.

You seem to focus on more of the gritty sides of the burgh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos