HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 7:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
I hope you like doing accessibility upgrades, redesign of existing interior space, and other such small jobs. I can say, based on my own experience working at a small firm, that small firms get a lot of mundane jobs, and bigger-name firms often get the more interesting, higher-budget projects.

I prefer theoretical architecture more anyway. I am just gonna be an ass in the industry either way you look at it.

oh and touche awg.

I should rephrase it, the large firms in Portland I have not been impressed with, while many of the small firms in Portland, I have been impressed with.

Last edited by urbanlife; Sep 19, 2007 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Yikes.

My friend at Sera told me they got a rotten egg to work with... but this doesn't look all that much improved. The street sandwiched between the two parking garages --the Alexan's and this one-- is going to be especially pleasant. One thing he mentioned, though, was that with the way they were designing the garage, it could be converted pretty easily to residential in some car-free future.
It's a reskinned and mirrored Alexan layout, IIRC.

TCR is tough to work with. Tight as a fist. Not alot of opprtunity for architects to make forms, but plenty of opportunity to flex the proforma.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
The GBD tower, from the DJC website:

Block 43 Sera renderings have been posted here before in one of the SoWa threads.
I AM OUTRAGED THAT IS NASTY!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Block 43:

WHY SO BLOCKEY if it just had some spiral...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
The architecture in SWF seems to be degrading. We're starting to see the boxy slabs of the Pearl and above ground parking. Its a shame, you would think a architectural firm would want to one up its competition.
This is not-at-all how it works with commercial development architecture. Architects have clients to answer to: Developers. Developers have to answer to someone as well: Lenders/ Investors.

Every architectural design "move" that is made, is essentially weighed against a cost/benefit ratio.

As an example, the Alexan (and the newer TCR version of it that is mirrored in plan), is done very inexpensively for the building type. The architect has limited flexibility in developer design as it is, but with the apartment towers, the "wick" is required to be turned way down.

Last edited by BrG; Oct 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland