HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 3:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Hey ALDOT look into the future
"The Tennessee Department of Transportation held a ceremony today to officially open its state-of-the-art facility that helps manage traffic along Southeast Tennessee interstates.

The Transportation Management Center will help control cameras and message boards within Chattanooga.

“We’re attempting to clear our highways quicker,” said Tennessee Department of Transportation Commissioner John Schroer.

The transportation center was built last year at a cost of $2.5 million. TDOT officials started using the building in December 2010."

Too bad Huntsville and North Alabama has primitive stupidly designed roads with little or no directional signs. Hey I hope all of our 20 year road plans are
delayed at least 10 years so when if and finally built will be inadequate. Oh wait we already have that wish granted.
Do highway morons actually drive on the roads in their district? Where is Huntsville on your road signs? How about south bound signs on the new 5 year late overpasses at Max Luther/Sparkman, is there an interstate highway anywherecoming up? Guess not cause you don't find out till your right up on it and then where does it go? Westbound on I-565(should be 6 lanes but any accident on the road will bring all 1950 era 4 lanes to stop) Chapman Mountain..we see Athens, Decatur, but no Downtown Huntsville, Madison, Birmingham ..idiots.
Do we really have to go over the signage crap again? I thought I'd explained that. But to no avail, I guess...

EDIT: Current ones that is. New ones are necessary though. There really need to be some on South Memorial near the river and on 72 east of Chapman.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:40 PM

Interesting to note that I-24 near downtown Chattanooga is also 4 lanes on either side. Birmingham and Tuscaloosa have the message boards and traffic cameras. I hope Huntsville gets the benefit of these devices in the near future. As a matter of fact, we are the largest city without the traffic cameras.

http://alitsweb.dot.state.al.us/its/

Last edited by Saj07; Dec 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 8:01 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj07 View Post
Interesting to note that I-24 near downtown Chattanooga is also 4 lanes on either side. Birmingham and Tuscaloosa have the message boards and traffic cameras. I hope Huntsville gets the benefit of these devices in the near future.
Huntsville does need the message boards, badly. Although, it should be noted that Tuscaloosa's traffic cams were set up by the city. They weren't included on the ALDOT website until recently. Tennessee has the cameras statewide, and many more message board. Of course, Tennessee also has more money to work with regarding transportation.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:42 PM

Flew to BWI from HSV this weekend

I flew on Airtran to BWI from Huntsville for the first time this weekend. I have to say, the Huntsville airport has really improved it's overall look. The new security area was very nice. Very busy on a Thursday morning though.

The Airtran flight was about 2/3 full out going and returning. I hope they (and Southwest) continue to service Huntsville.

We actually drove up to New York from Baltimore and it was less than 3 hours. The airfare was less than $160/round trip plus $83 for a rental car. Definitely a lot cheaper (and quicker) than the $400 airfare on Delta with a 1 hour layover in Atlanta. I might consider taking the Amtrak train to New York from BWI next time.

The only negative that have to save about Airtran is that they don't offer a lot of connection options to other destinations. If they ever start flying to Atlanta, I think the planes would be at full capacity all the time.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 12:32 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemis View Post
I flew on Airtran to BWI from Huntsville for the first time this weekend. I have to say, the Huntsville airport has really improved it's overall look. The new security area was very nice. Very busy on a Thursday morning though.

The Airtran flight was about 2/3 full out going and returning. I hope they (and Southwest) continue to service Huntsville.

We actually drove up to New York from Baltimore and it was less than 3 hours. The airfare was less than $160/round trip plus $83 for a rental car. Definitely a lot cheaper (and quicker) than the $400 airfare on Delta with a 1 hour layover in Atlanta. I might consider taking the Amtrak train to New York from BWI next time.

The only negative that have to save about Airtran is that they don't offer a lot of connection options to other destinations. If they ever start flying to Atlanta, I think the planes would be at full capacity all the time.
Huntsville's airport is the nicest for it's size in the Southeast and evne some larger ones. The last phase (new baggage terminal) is well underway as you saw. The long long range plans include another runway, terminal, and interstate
interchange.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Huntsville's airport is the nicest for it's size in the Southeast and evne some larger ones. The last phase (new baggage terminal) is well underway as you saw. The long long range plans include another runway, terminal, and interstate
interchange.
I agree. I flew in to Huntsville this weekend and was VERY impressed with the airport (and the crowds). It seems to be a busy place. Nice facility and easy access. Love it.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:17 PM

Some new development in Madison adjacent to the new hospital.

Quote:
Madison Corners opening in February
Published 4:54pm Monday, December 19, 2011

The retail shops will be constructed in two buildings in front of the medical office buildings with excellent exposure to both Highway 72 and Balch Road. Pre-leasing has begun on the retail buildings and three pre-lease agreements have already been signed. These include Firehouse Subs, a quick service sub sandwich restaurant with more than 450 locations in 29 states, LawLer’s Barbecue, which has several locations in the Huntsville area, and Specialized Medical Devices, a medical sales company.

GBT is also in the process of securing additional tenants that will account for up to 50 percent of available space and will announce as leases are signed.

“Madison Corners offers us an incredible opportunity to bring the right mix of retailers and medical-related businesses to accommodate the individual and professional needs of those who work or visit the Madison Medical Park and Hospital Campus,” said Fraser Schaufele, V.P. of Leasing for GBT. “And being located just west of the Target anchored shopping center, The Shoppes of Madison, which will open in March 2012, makes this development a key location for any retailer or outparcel user looking for maximum exposure.”

Roadway widening of both Balch Road and Highway 72 will enhance traffic flow to the hospital campus and Madison Corners. Balch Road was recently expanded to five lanes and Highway 72 is in the process of expanding to six lanes from Balch Road to Wall Triana Road to the east.
http://www.themadisonrecord.com/2011...g-in-february/

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 11:07 PM

I just got a Thank You letter from Southwest for flying Airtran to Baltimore. Something about thanks for the loyalty and how they are still operating as two separate airlines for now but are close to integrating the airlines.

From the letter:

"In addition, we are working on the capability to connect the Southwest and Airtran networks. This will open up service to cities such as Nashville, Clevleand, Salt Lake, and Portland. We expect to begin offering this service in the first half of 2012".

Maybe, just maybe, they'll introduce a direct flight from HSV to Nashville with other connecting options out of BNA.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:11 PM

Quote:
I just got a Thank You letter from Southwest for flying Airtran to Baltimore. Something about thanks for the loyalty and how they are still operating as two separate airlines for now but are close to integrating the airlines.

From the letter:

"In addition, we are working on the capability to connect the Southwest and Airtran networks. This will open up service to cities such as Nashville, Clevleand, Salt Lake, and Portland. We expect to begin offering this service in the first half of 2012".

Maybe, just maybe, they'll introduce a direct flight from HSV to Nashville with other connecting options out of BNA.
That would be great if HSV passengers had access to all of the destinations out of Nashville (BNA). However, Southwest's President Gary Kelly has stated that he much prefers two passengers making one way direct flights to one connecting passenger because there are greater profit margins with direct only passengers verses passengers who fly to a hub and make connecitons there. Keep in mind at a hub, airlines will hold up flights in order for connecting passengers to make their connections. This delaying of flights for passengers to make their connections costs airlines money.

The more likely model for Southwest's service out of HSV is to offer connections out of Baltimore/Washington (BWI) where there would already be a large number of passengers who were flying from HSV to BWI as their final destination. The connections to New York, Boston, etc. would be gravy for those passengers making the connections would be a minority of the total passengers aboard that flight.

Because Nashville is so closeby, it is hard to see how there would be any passengers out of HSV whose final destination is BNA. While Southwest does offer service form Birmingham (BHM) to BNA that is a longer drive.

The larger question for the Southeast is how Southwest will handle the existing AirTran hub in Atlanta (ATL) which has far more more flights to far more cities than BNA. Southwest has said that they plan to dismantle the hub, however, that doesn't seem logical as it is profitable and 2/3 of the passengers there are connecting passengers. The better outcome for HSV passengers is for SW to keep the ATL hub and add conneciting flights from HSV. This is not likely to happen for the reasons listed earlier.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
That would be great if HSV passengers had access to all of the destinations out of Nashville (BNA). However, Southwest's President Gary Kelly has stated that he much prefers two passengers making one way direct flights to one connecting passenger because there are greater profit margins with direct only passengers verses passengers who fly to a hub and make connecitons there. Keep in mind at a hub, airlines will hold up flights in order for connecting passengers to make their connections. This delaying of flights for passengers to make their connections costs airlines money.

The more likely model for Southwest's service out of HSV is to offer connections out of Baltimore/Washington (BWI) where there would already be a large number of passengers who were flying from HSV to BWI as their final destination. The connections to New York, Boston, etc. would be gravy for those passengers making the connections would be a minority of the total passengers aboard that flight.

Because Nashville is so closeby, it is hard to see how there would be any passengers out of HSV whose final destination is BNA. While Southwest does offer service form Birmingham (BHM) to BNA that is a longer drive.

The larger question for the Southeast is how Southwest will handle the existing AirTran hub in Atlanta (ATL) which has far more more flights to far more cities than BNA. Southwest has said that they plan to dismantle the hub, however, that doesn't seem logical as it is profitable and 2/3 of the passengers there are connecting passengers. The better outcome for HSV passengers is for SW to keep the ATL hub and add conneciting flights from HSV. This is not likely to happen for the reasons listed earlier.
BWI and MCO offer a lot potential for connecting flight but the timing of the flights to/from HSV don't line up well. For whatever reason, there not many flights out of BWI on Airtran or SW between 10am and Noon. With a flight landing from HSV at 9:40am, that leaves for a long layover.

I would expect to see Southwest introduce a flight from Chicago Midway to HSV next year. It follows your original logic. Chicago is a major destination out HSV already plus it offers a large amount of connection options.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
BWI and MCO offer a lot potential for connecting flight but the timing of the flights to/from HSV don't line up well. For whatever reason, there not many flights out of BWI on Airtran or SW between 10am and Noon. With a flight landing from HSV at 9:40am, that leaves for a long layover.

I would expect to see Southwest introduce a flight from Chicago Midway to HSV next year. It follows your original logic. Chicago is a major destination out HSV already plus it offers a large amount of connection options.
Like I said earlier, existing service to BWI will probably be kept, but if I were betting on additional service, it would be non-stops to MDW, HOU, and DAL (especially with AL already being one of the Wright Amendment exempt states and the amendment itself being off the books in 2014).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:

I agree with you that Southwest will add Chicago Midway as a destination and I also see Houston Hobby, too. The reason for Houston is that it is #8 on the list of top 20 O&D Markets out of HSV - See: http://www.hsvairport.org/rc/stats_hia.html and Southwest has a strong hub at Hobby with lots of connecting flights to West Coast destinations like LAX which is #4 on the list after the two Wahington DC airports and Orlando.

What would be a real coup would be if Southwest were to add service to Denver which would also add lots of western connection possibilities as SW has a strong and growing hub there, too. However, Southwest doesn't offer DEN service out of BHM and they are the # 1 airline In terms of mkt. share at BHM so this is more of a tall order for HSV.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I agree with you that Southwest will add Chicago Midway as a destination and I also see Houston Hobby, too. The reason for Houston is that it is #8 on the list of top 20 O&D Markets out of HSV - See: http://www.hsvairport.org/rc/stats_hia.html and Southwest has a strong hub at Hobby with lots of connecting flights to West Coast destinations like LAX which is #4 on the list after the two Wahington DC airports and Orlando.

What would be a real coup would be if Southwest were to add service to Denver which would also add lots of western connection possibilities as SW has a strong and growing hub there, too. However, Southwest doesn't offer DEN service out of BHM and they are the # 1 airline In terms of mkt. share at BHM so this is more of a tall order for HSV.
Also keep in mind for NASA folks, HOU is on the southside of town where JSC is. If the options are United to IAH or Southwest to HOU, I think we all know the smart answer on which to fly to(especially since you won't be fighting traffic on Beltway 8, 610, or 45 driving from the Northside of Houston.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Also keep in mind for NASA folks, HOU is on the southside of town where JSC is. If the options are United to IAH or Southwest to HOU, I think we all know the smart answer on which to fly to(especially since you won't be fighting traffic on Beltway 8, 610, or 45 driving from the Northside of Houston.
That's a good point. I think Houston would be a very viable option for Southwest out of HSV. I am just wondering how much support they'll get here. People are loyal to their legacy carriers here even though they have to connect or fly on tiny regional jets.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 12:38 AM

Huntsville Stars to relocate to a new stadium?

http://www.waff.com/story/16401097/h...an-to-relocate

Huntsville, AL (WAFF) -
The Huntsville Stars minor league baseball team plans to relocate after officials consider plans to re-develop John Hunt Park.

Right now the team is playing at Joe Davis Stadium.

Officials say Searcy Homes on Monroe Street is the preferred location for a new downtown ballpark.

The housing authority said they'll have to relocate hundreds of people who live there.

The general manager of the Huntsville Stars said he thinks building new stadium is a great idea and beneficial to everyone.

"We need a good stadium for baseball purposes, so everybody needs to be in the loop on this. This isn't just ‘let's build a stadium.' This is a monster project that if done right and has the good community support, it will be a win-win and a fabulous success for the city of Huntsville and Madison County," said general manager, Buck Rogers.

Copyright 2011 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Last edited by cyberfox; Dec 28, 2011 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox View Post
Huntsville Stars to relocate to a new stadium?

http://www.waff.com/story/16401097/h...an-to-relocate

Huntsville, AL (WAFF) -
The Huntsville Stars minor league baseball team plans to relocate after officials consider plans to re-develop John Hunt Park.

Right now the team is playing at Joe Davis Stadium.

Officials say Searcy Homes on Monroe Street is the preferred location for a new downtown ballpark.

The housing authority said they'll have to relocate hundreds of people who live there.

The general manager of the Huntsville Stars said he thinks building new stadium is a great idea and beneficial to everyone.

"We need a good stadium for baseball purposes, so everybody needs to be in the loop on this. This isn't just ‘let's build a stadium.' This is a monster project that if done right and has the good community support, it will be a win-win and a fabulous success for the city of Huntsville and Madison County," said general manager, Buck Rogers.

Copyright 2011 WAFF. All rights reserved.
Yes, this needs to be done. Naysayers don't understand that projects like this are what revitalize an entire downtown.

You add the ability of folks to walk downtown to restaurants and the ball field and the VBC, it creates an entirely new environment and profit stream for businesses.

BTW, where exactly is the area they are looking at on Monroe St?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
Yes, this needs to be done. Naysayers don't understand that projects like this are what revitalize an entire downtown.

You add the ability of folks to walk downtown to restaurants and the ball field and the VBC, it creates an entirely new environment and profit stream for businesses.

BTW, where exactly is the area they are looking at on Monroe St?
Here is the article from AL.com.

http://blog.al.com/times-views/2011/...parks_and.html

I agree, building a new stadium downtown will be one of the best things Huntsville could do to improve quality of life, but I don't think it will happen. It will always come down to the $$$. The Huntsville politicians are very short sited. It has the potential to bring lots of extra tax revenue from outside visitors, but it will cost a lot of money upfront to build it. I could easily see people driving up from Guntersville, Athens, Decatur, Scottsboro, etc to see a game.

The proposed stadium location would be on Monroe St, just north of the VBC. Sort of in the corner of the US231 and I-565. This would give it great visibility from the 2 largest highways in Huntsville. Plus they would have a great view of the Huntsville sky-line from the outfield.

I could see tons of new restaurants and what not popping up around it. They could even build retail and restaurants under the outfield bleachers to help bring in revenue. Walking distance from the VBC, so you could attract the concert crowd also.

They could even do some Screen on the Green type things. Put up a big movie screen (removable) in the outfield and invite fans to come watch some old movies or simulcast some of the Braves or Brewers game.

Maybe have a Friday fireworks show after the game.

Hell I would be definitely buy season tickets if the stadium is downtown, but I won't go see a game at the current stadium.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 1:35 AM
America's Mars Rocket

The proposed stadium site would be linked by a greenway that is planned
along Pinhook Creek next to the stagnant Constellation project.
Tremendous potential in the entire area, something many of us have seen for over 5 years. Mayor Battle sees it too.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 9:26 PM

Whitesburg Site Prep

Does anybody know what is going in the lot that Young Life used to sell Christmas trees in the past few years. I've noticed some site prep going on there. Thanks!

** Fingers crossed for a new mattress store **

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:01 PM

Any recent photos of news of downtown Huntsville projects?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast