HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:58 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
If keeping MFR from replacing surface parking lots on their truck route helps preserve the French language, they're doing a bang-up job
good one.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:05 PM

They’re not anti development, they’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighbourhood which is like a town within the city. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. St boniface is special. you have the school, church and hospital all right there. It’s like a perfect little community as is. Parking is hard enough on many of the streets around the school and hospital and residents consider that when adding new shit to the area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
They’re not anti development, they’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighbourhood which is like a town within the city. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. St boniface is special. you have the school, church and hospital all right there. It’s like a perfect little community as is. Parking is hard enough on many of the streets around the school and hospital and residents consider that when adding new shit to the area.
“Charleswood is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Tuxedo is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Transcona is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“North Kildonan is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Waverley Heights is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Crescentwood is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Glenwood is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Seven Oaks is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

Should I keep going? I wonder why the majority of our development occurs in the suburbs with this mindset…

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:48 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
“Charleswood is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Tuxedo is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Transcona is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“North Kildonan is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Waverley Heights is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Crescentwood is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Glenwood is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

“Seven Oaks is just a town within a city we’re just trying to preserve the feel of the neighborhood.”

Should I keep going? I wonder why the majority of our development occurs in the suburbs with this mindset…
What we need is for infill zoning laws to be adopted, create a certain set of aesthetic and materials standards that must be adhered to and make developments that fit the criteria approved as-of-right for developers willing to follow the guidelines.

We also need more coherent strategies for high streets like Provencher, Corydon, Osborne... something that involves getting heavy through traffic off of them...
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
LOL. Parking on the streets is hard.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
more coming.
is that a teaser that the empty lot and 2 small building across the street are getting developed? Dug & Betty has sure turned into a great little ice cream and small eats shop.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
LOL. Parking on the streets is hard.
You should really move to Europe considering that’s the lifestyle you want. You think because you cycle everyone should? Because you don’t need a vehicle neither does anyone else? Get off the high horse already.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
What we need is for infill zoning laws to be adopted, create a certain set of aesthetic and materials standards that must be adhered to and make developments that fit the criteria approved as-of-right for developers willing to follow the guidelines.

We also need more coherent strategies for high streets like Provencher, Corydon, Osborne... something that involves getting heavy through traffic off of them...
Exactly. Stboniface isn’t downtown and shouldn’t be developed like it is.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 6:28 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Exactly. Stboniface isn’t downtown and shouldn’t be developed like it is.
And how exactly should it be developed? I’m not saying it should be developed like downtown but I’d like to hear what your vision is.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 6:31 PM

Manitobans: Why are so many young people leaving the province?

Also Manitobans:
Quote:
You should really move to Europe considering that’s the lifestyle you want. You think because you cycle everyone should? Because you don’t need a vehicle neither does anyone else? Get off the high horse already.
Repeat after me: If you are within 10 mins of DT then you DO NOT NEED A DETACHED HOUSE OR FREE STREET PARKING!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 6:46 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Manitobans: Why are so many young people leaving the province?

Also Manitobans:

Repeat after me: If you are within 10 mins of DT then you DO NOT NEED A DETACHED HOUSE OR FREE STREET PARKING!
Facts

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:08 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I don't just cycle, sometimes I ride around town on my high horse....damn its hard to find parking for him.

A lack of free parking on public property is not a reason to oppose change or development.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
I don’t mind that the francophone community is very invested in preserving the feel of st. Boniface. It’s their community. It’s the heart of francophone culture in western Canada. The last thing it needs is a shit ton of anglophones moving in and diluting the community even more.
Wow. The area south of Marion has been largely populated with non-Francophones for likely a Century. Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, German, Scots. 3 blocks over the conversations at my grandmother's table was a mix of the 1st 3 plus English. No French. The street I grew up on had only one or two French families in 2 blocks. The streets around us in Norwood were no different.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:20 PM

^Some people just choose to live in a world of imagination and feelings rather than reality.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:32 AM

Quote:
"I'd like to be able to bike to work safely"

-- "Leave our city you European snob"

i love this forum

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"I'd like to be able to bike to work safely"

-- "Leave our city you European snob"

i love this forum
Is that the latest all-encompassing epithet, "European snob"? "Eurosnob"?

Seriously, I can't keep up with them all....

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 2:56 PM
North End Troublemaker

This is coming up at committee this week.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...9(RM)RC-34.pdf

Looks good for the area. Loving some of the development Landmark is pushing.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:38 PM

^ Very impressive, I like the creativity with the balcony and the mural. That one gets the coveted esquire seal of approval.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:45 PM

174 Provencher

174 Provencher is back, 4 storey 45 units 2 at grade CRU

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:59 PM

Great news. Saint Boniface is so close to being that one inner city neighborhood virtually everyone would like to live in. Once the bike lanes and infill on Provencher/Marion are added the area is going to be so interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan