HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:30 PM
designer&stuff

Lawrence, Kansas

A brief look at Lawrence, KS and the University of Kansas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence,_Kansas

University of Kansas:

Lawrence, KS:

Thanks for looking.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:29 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:43 AM
Red October standing by

interesting, thanks for the pics. i've heard it's a nice (albeit small) college town. and it looks very midwestern.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:36 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

lovely. my favorite college town in the midwest.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:59 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for sharing!

Lawrence University campus is pretty. I like its green areas and classic buildings. Lawrence is nice too.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:40 AM
E pluribus unum

Charming college town

Stupid question, but about how far is it from Lawrence to Kansas City?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:05 AM
designer&stuff

Thank you for the comments everyone.

Quote:
Stupid question, but about how far is it from Lawrence to Kansas City?
About 40 to 45 minutes depending on what part of the city you're going to. Overall, it isn't too bad of a drive as I like to get back to KCMO and the Metro area when I can.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:30 AM

Nice pictures! I like to color scheme with the local stone and red tile roofs.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:00 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Nice looking college town. I have a fondness for college towns (though I'm not sure why).

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:16 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Thanks for the tour, college towns do exude charm.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

I love Lawrence, I was there a couple years ago, best college town ever and the whole town is pretty much perfectly preserved and restored too and the campus is absolutely gorgeous.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I love Lawrence, I was there a couple years ago, best college town ever and the whole town is pretty much perfectly preserved and restored too and the campus is absolutely gorgeous.
the topography of lawrence is completely unexpected, considering that it's in kansas.

it really is a beautiful college campus, it's situated on a pretty substantial hill above town.

lawrence definitely has a case of "xx miles surrounded by reality," like the boulder, colorado of old (which is charming), but the lawrence natives can be a little ignorant towards missourians (the quantrill incident, lol) and can have an absurdly myopic view of the entire state of missouri (which comprises the core cities of two decent sized metropolitan areas), but that's alright as i know enough good natives to make up for that and the town is lovely, otherwise. it's the first college town heading west with a hints of a westernish flavor along the lines of parts of austin or boulder.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 2:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah, I went to field camp with University of Kansas and they hate MO because of the Civil War.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Yeah, I went to field camp with University of Kansas and they hate MO because of the Civil War.
yeah they wont let that go, lol, nevermind that missouri put into the field more union soldiers than there were people in kansas, heh.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jan 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:32 AM
designer&stuff

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the topography of lawrence is completely unexpected, considering that it's in kansas.

it really is a beautiful college campus, it's situated on a pretty substantial hill above town.

lawrence definitely has a case of "xx miles surrounded by reality," like the boulder, colorado of old (which is charming), but the lawrence natives can be a little ignorant towards missourians (the quantrill incident, lol) and can have an absurdly myopic view of the entire state of missouri (which comprises the core cities of two decent sized metropolitan areas), but that's alright as i know enough good natives to make up for that and the town is lovely, otherwise. it's the first college town heading west with a hints of a westernish flavor along the lines of parts of austin or boulder.
Interesting that you mentioned that. My urban history professor remarked about the disconnect KU seems to have with the city after a local resident on Mass St. asked if he worked up on the hill. He interpreted that interaction as a little humorist since 'being on the hill' has its benefits and drawbacks it seems.

Quote:
The history out here is quite fascinating. My permanent residence is on the Missouri side of the state line not too far from the family farm of Jesse James. When it comes down to it, I may be from the West Coast, yet I don't have too much love for all things KS yet more in the way they run things in comparison to its neighboring state. Or I'm just biased due to the long standing 'border war.'

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

Which is of course, more about expectations or reputations than reality, as I know you know. Despite its almost undisputed reputation as the flattest place EVAR (which is in part a measure of just how large "Kansas" looms in the cultural imagination) actual Kansas is about middle of the road as a state when measured by local elevation change, and its not even the flattest state in the midwest, which is the flattest region. Given the true flatness of the high plains 1/2 of the state, that adds up to a fairly hilly, if undramatically so, eastern 1/2.

I went to college in both Eugene and Lawrence, and I'd trade the geographic landscape of eastern Oregon for the "cultural landscape" of Lawrence (and the midwest) any day.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:11 PM
Editor

Nice photo tour!

I was very excited to see this thread as soon as I saw the title. My relatives came over from Germany in 1896 and listed 'Lawrence, Kansas' as their place of destination while transferring through Ellis Island. According to census documents it appears they met up with some other relatives who were already living there. I've always wondered what Lawrence was like.

Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Which is of course, more about expectations or reputations than reality, as I know you know. Despite its almost undisputed reputation as the flattest place EVAR (which is in part a measure of just how large "Kansas" looms in the cultural imagination) actual Kansas is about middle of the road as a state when measured by local elevation change, and its not even the flattest state in the midwest, which is the flattest region. Given the true flatness of the high plains 1/2 of the state, that adds up to a fairly hilly, if undramatically so, eastern 1/2.
yes, this is a true statement. rural central illinois is even more stereotypically "kansas-like" than even kansas, aside from the small industrial cities of central illinois. i had photographed a huge swath of the high plains eastern colorado and western kansas this summer, but my iphone lost all of those photos. lots of nearly desert like landscape in southwest kansas...i remember photographing a dirt-dune-field bordered by yucca plants as my car almost overheated in the 108 degree weather of southwest kansas. landscapes similar to this (i believe that this is indeed kansas near dodge city):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com

unlike central illinois (although people from chicago would disagree ), i consider parts of kansas to be practically unfit for human habitation. i could barely breath in the heat and the dust out there, and my iphone shut down if it was in direct sunlight for more than a minute or so).

Last edited by Centropolis; Jan 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:24 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Nice town. Looks like a good place to learn.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:38 AM

Great photos, ive been there a few times and always had a good time. Loved the beer at free state brew.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos