HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I've heard nothing but great things about The Farmer's Apprentice's brunch. Never tried it myself.

Vancouver's always had a ton of all day breakfast/brunch spots, so it's hard for me to know what's new and which ones are still around.

Here's a link that'll get you started:

http://itstodiefor.ca/best-food-in-v...-in-vancouver/

Thanks for that info. LOL I've been using that website all day for research. Hotel Blu is providing us with bikes and we're both pretty fit so won't mind biking 5-10 for brunch if you think better places are away from the core.

The Colony looks pretty good as well, (not listed).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 1:56 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Biking in Vancouver is a lot of fun, and a good workout thanks to the many inclines. I'm not sure riding to The Red Wagon would be all that convenient, but it's a really nice bike ride from downtown to Jethro's in Kitsilano. The trek will take well over 10 minutes though.

Last edited by giallo; Dec 5, 2014 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:14 AM

Tock's was a bit of a revelation when it opened in Shanghai over a year ago. It's Asia's first Jewish Montreal Deli, and it is amazing. I try to go whenever I can, but too much of this isn't all that healthy.

Tock's proudly displays its roots inside.

tocks 3 by matteroffact, on Flickr

Some matzo ball soup to start

tocks 4 by matteroffact, on Flickr

A poutine to share (with real cheese curds!)

tocks 5 by matteroffact, on Flickr

The Reuben. Shanghai's best sandwich.

tocks 6 by matteroffact, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
A poutine to share (with real cheese curds!)

tocks 5 by matteroffact, on Flickr
Real cheese curds!

There's plenty of restaurants overseas catering to the Canadian crowd that have "poutine" (my sister's been to ones all across Europe), but so few have real cheese curds, because apparently they're hard to get.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 6:48 PM

there is nothing worse then ordering Poutine and not getting cheese curds. I've had that happen at a few dive bars in Ontario, B.C, and Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:32 AM

^^The owner of Tock's had to teach a dairy provider how to make them.

I've had numerous poutines in Mainland China/HK/Taiwan, and Tock's is the only one that's ever made it with curds. It's always mozzarella or jack everywhere else.

Currently, this is my favourite Japanese curry spot in Shanghai.
Shinokuma's best dish is a big pork ball on a rice omelette, topped with cheddar cheese and slathered with their awesome curry. I never get tired of it.

curry ball by matteroffact, on Flickr

Last edited by giallo; Dec 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:36 AM

This little hole-in-the-wall serves the best rice ball in the city. It's packed with crunchy chicken-flavoured dough, an egg, pork, unknown spices, and flavoured rice (I think it's some sort of tea). Super delicious.

rice ball 1 by matteroffact, on Flickr

rice ball 2 by matteroffact, on Flickr

rice ball 3 by matteroffact, on Flickr

rice ball 4 by matteroffact, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:34 AM
sick transit, gloria

Reviving this thread - no pics unfortunately. But I was in Hamilton last weekend and we had some beers and food at a new place on Locke called Brux. It was REALLY good. Highly recommended. Not cheap, but has an amazing tap list and great food options. We only shared a cheese plate and pretzel sticks but everything was top notch. And an ultra hipster bartender who ignored other patrons to talk to us about craft beer haha. Saw people around us getting entrees and they all looked great - really want to try the steak frites and mussels.

http://bruxhouse.com/about

Also got amazing burgers at Chuck's on Locke as well, go there too if you have time. http://chucksburgerbar.com And an amazing hipster bar on James North called the Brain. They had Rogue beer on tap, which is rare in Ontario!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:54 AM

Ouch. I shouldn't have clicked on that link to Chuck Burger Bar. So very hungry.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Real cheese curds!

There's plenty of restaurants overseas catering to the Canadian crowd that have "poutine" (my sister's been to ones all across Europe), but so few have real cheese curds, because apparently they're hard to get.
The further you get from Ottawa in Ontario, the more you find shredded cheese "poutine". It is very hard to find a real poutine once you get as far as London; other than chain restaurants like Smoke's and Harvey's, I don't remember any restaurant there that even used curds. The Spoke at Western, Sammy's Souvlaki, and a chip truck near the city all use shredded cheese.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:53 AM
Urban Fanactic

The best cheese curds I've had came from Quebec and the second best came from Wisconsin.
There is a new poutine place that opened downtown so I might checked it out to see if they use cheese curds.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:05 AM

Went to a place called Meat on 104th/Whyte last week. Very very yummy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

On Saturday we're going to have a forum meet at Adelaide Oyster House. Its a gorgeous restaurant - 1930s St. John's decor. Local oysters. Everything from scratch. Should be a blast! Anyone in Town is welcome to join.

It's not expensive at all and has lots of pub-style serving sizes/price options.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 11:50 PM
sick transit, gloria

Got to try out a couple great restaurants in the past few weeks, partly because it was my birthday and partly because my several month unemployment is ending and I feel comfortable blowing through some cash and treating myself to a vacation at home.

1. Bar Raval http://thisisbarraval.com https://instagram.com/bar_raval/

This is the new venture by Grant Van Gameran of Bar Isabel fame. The concept is an all day to late night Spanish style snack bar that turns into a cocktail bar with food at night. Seating is very limited and most of the patrons are intended to stand at the bar countertops surrounding the bar and exterior walls. Grant put a TON of money into this and it shows - the concept was to build an interior that would be preserved long after the place itself is gone. Expect this to be on best-of lists soon. It's open from 8am to 2am and almost always packed. I went for breakfast this morning and was blown away - need to try the dinner options soon. The best part? It's 5 houses down from me on what is quickly becoming the best restaurant strip in Toronto! Waiting list? No problem just have a few drinks in my living room.

One of the features I haven't tried but am excited to is canned fish products from Spain - they are the only importers in Canada. Not cheap but worth it apparently.

The interior:

Not my pic - from Now Toronto magazine

My pic - the ceiling and woodwork is out of control.

Breakfast round one - two of the pintxos dishes they feature along with some charcuterie. On the bottom is blood sausage with quail egg, the top is octopus. Unfortunately I cannot remember the type of meat, but it was delicious. The barista chose to bring in Phil and Sebastien beans from Calgary which makes an excellent americano. One interesting thing is that for most of the day they display the majority of dishes you can get on the bar counter so you know what you will be getting into. It helps since the menu is pretty much entirely in Spanish.

Round 2 - that's a mini-croissant with salt cod in it (paging SHH!) and a corn tortilla with chorizo, quail egg and hot peppers. Both were out of control. I also got a dulche de leche donut to go as they do baked goods in the morning.

I may have to go back next week before work starts…

2. Hanmoto http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/hanmoto-toronto

This is a new snack bar featuring Japanese influenced food, opened by the same owners who have a snack bar down the street featuring Korean influenced food. Went as a pre-dinner on my birthday and enjoyed it so much went back again next weekend with a friend who needed some cheering up. The space is tiny and doesn’t face a main street and with no signage is hard to find. Because of this we didn’t have too much trouble getting in – however that will probably change with the glowing blogTO article posted above… At least I got in early!

We stuck to the hot food but they also feature a fair amount of raw fish based dishes. Will probably try them at a later date.

Katsu bun – featuring fried pork belly in a deep fried coco bun. This is as heavy and delicious as it sounds.

Fried shisito peppers – probably the healthiest thing I ate there…

Chicken wings stuffed with dumpling meat which were massive. Yeah.

[IMG] http://i.imgur.com/vZDXe6i.jpg?1 [/IMG]
Moto eggs, which were basically deviled eggs with roe and fried salmon skin. I’m a sucker for deviled eggs so it’s hard to disappoint me on this front (and they didn’t).

3. Fat Pasha http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/fat-pasha-toronto

Was taken here later on for my birthday – it’s a bit more of a modern take on Middle Eastern / Israeli food. A lot more straight forward than the other places but very solid. Surprisingly filling for the price too as I was able to bring home quite a bit of leftovers. Over half the bill was cocktails, and we didn’t have that many…. (worth it though). Not sure I’d go back with friends but I may actually take my mom there in the summer – it’s a good mix of creative cuisine with more familiar staples.

Flatbread and assorted dips – you have about 6 to choose from. Can’t remember what we chose exactly but one was labneh and the other two tahini based. You need to order extra bread which they apparently gave to us for free???

Squid with fried chickpeas and rapini. One of the better squid dishes I’ve had lately. We also ordered falafel (not pictured). Saw someone eating a lamb steak which looked incredible, and also cost $40.

4. Porchetta and Co.
I have listed this place as one of my favourites before but they are constantly branching out and expanding their menu with weekly specials. The latest is ribs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They slow cook them over Monday to the point where the meat almost falls off the bone if it weren’t for an almost candied crust. The sides vary from week to week. I’m excited for their new venture teaming up with Pizza Libretto (best thin crust in TO) for a Neapolitan street food restaurant. Not sure what that entails but I’m sure it will be good. Also a 5 minute walk from me.

Sides this week were baked beans, kosher pickle, hush puppies (fried on the spot!) and fried brussel sprouts in a honey garlic sauce

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:56 AM

The interior of Bar Ravel looks stunning - sort of Art Nouveau on drugs!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 1:10 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The interior of Bar Ravel looks stunning - sort of Art Nouveau on drugs!
It's really something else - pictures don't do it justice. The attention to detail is amazing. According to an acquaintance in the industry they were supposed to open for Xmas but he delayed it 2 months simply to get the details perfect.

One kind of hilarious touch is the grill on the bar counter edge has Wu-Tang symbols etched into it.

Bar Raval instagram

More articles: http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/bar-raval-toronto

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dis...eren-meathead/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23138146/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 11:02 PM

Canada's best restaurants

These are the top 25 restaurants from food writer Jacob Richler's new top-100 ranking (I couldn't find the full list of 100). To create the list, Richler had 70 judges from across Canada submit a ranked list of their top 10 restaurants. I suspect that in Toronto and Montreal, at least, great new restaurants open too quickly for the list to ever be completely up to date.

1. Toqué!, Montreal

2. Hawksworth, Vancouver

3. Buca, Toronto

4. Raymonds, St. John's

5. Splendido, Toronto

6. Canoe, Toronto

7. Edulis, Toronto

8. Bar Isabel, Toronto

9. Nota Bene, Toronto

10. Joe Beef, Montreal

11. Maison Publique, Montreal

12. Model Milk, Calgary

13. Park, Montreal

14. Scaramouche, Toronto

15. Hôtel Herman, Montreal

16. Langdon Hall, Cambridge

17. l'Abbatoir, Vancouver

18. Cioppino's, Vancouver

19. Atelier, Ottawa

20. Initiale, Quebec City

21. Cabane à Sucre au Pied de Cochon, St-Benoit de Mirabel, Que.

22. Fleur de Sel, Lunenberg, N.S.

23. Bouillon Bilk, Montreal

24. Le Club Chasse et Pêche, Montreal

25. Sushi Kaji, Toronto

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Reviving this thread - no pics unfortunately. But I was in Hamilton last weekend and we had some beers and food at a new place on Locke called Brux. It was REALLY good. Highly recommended. Not cheap, but has an amazing tap list and great food options. We only shared a cheese plate and pretzel sticks but everything was top notch. And an ultra hipster bartender who ignored other patrons to talk to us about craft beer haha. Saw people around us getting entrees and they all looked great - really want to try the steak frites and mussels.

http://bruxhouse.com/about

Also got amazing burgers at Chuck's on Locke as well, go there too if you have time. http://chucksburgerbar.com And an amazing hipster bar on James North called the Brain. They had Rogue beer on tap, which is rare in Ontario!
Sounds good I'll check it out next week when I go. Hamilton has some great little places run by foodies and hipsters.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gotta give Magnum & Stein's a shoutout. Delicious burger.

The restaurant itself is tucked away in McMurdo's Lane,

It's the first door on the right side of the alley:

The view from the window, lol:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 3:36 AM

Great information and pics, guys. I've got a little bit of drool over here.

Shanghai has a lot of HK diners (as in the type of restaurant, not people), and each one is a little different from the next. My favourite is Xin Wang. It's simple, yet playful menu is very tasty.

My wife's favourite dish is this avocado salad. The dressing is something special. I'm still not entirely sure what's in it.

xinwang 4 by matteroffact, on Flickr

This is their version of Dan Dan Noodles. It's a Sichuan dry noodle dish that's usually very spicy. Here, the focus isn't on big spice, but bold flavours. I'm a huge fan of Dan Dan, and will usually order it whenever on the menu.

xinwang 1 by matteroffact, on Flickr

The chicken broth here is perfection.

xinwang 3 by matteroffact, on Flickr

There Macaunese pork bun was a bit of a disappointment. Way too many onions. The pork was good though.

xinwang 2 by matteroffact, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada