HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:19 PM
Community Guy

'Winter Light' is no more

Winter Light Society Ends Operation

SEPTEMBER 18, 2012
Edmonton Winter Light Society sadly announces that the society will be dissolved and festival activities suspended, effective immediately.

“Our society was thrilled to have produced two successful events in 2012, and to have helped a City-initiated project make the transition to a non-profit, community event” says Edmonton Winter Light Society President Betty Grudnizki. “For now, we feel the Winter Light mandate has been fulfilled. We are happy to witness the growth of Edmonton’s other winter festivals and to see new events on the horizon. This shows us that winter celebrations are a firmly established part of the city and festival landscape.”

“We would like to thank the City and the stakeholders committee who had the vision to create the pilot-project, and all of the funders, sponsors, supporters, and partners who helped make Winter Light a success,” she said.

“I am honoured to have taken part in the beautiful winter celebrations generated by this project,” said outgoing artistic director Pamela Anthony. “Winter Light was a unique experiment, and it initiated a tremendous amount of outdoor culture, creative production and community activity. I think the people who envisioned and worked on this project will see their efforts reflected in new expressions of winter spirit as Edmonton's potential as a winter city continues to grow."

“I would particularly like to acknowledge the talented and inspiring Winter Light team members, and express our warmest thanks to everyone who came out to join Winter Light's adventures along the trail!"

Winter Light was originated in 2008 as a pilot project funded by the City of Edmonton, guided by the Winter Light Steering Committee, and executive produced by the Edmonton Arts Council. The 3-year project (2009-2011) produced 29 public festivals and events, and engaged in numerous marketing and community-building efforts to encourage winter spirit in Edmonton. In 2011, the pilot project ended as planned, and the Edmonton Winter Light Society emerged to assess the viability of carrying the project’s goals forward into the non-profit sector.

Edmonton Winter Light Society gratefully acknowledges the generous support and contributions of the City of Edmonton, the Edmonton Arts Council, the Alberta Foundation for the Arts, Canadian Heritage, our sponsors, partners and community contributors.

Thank you!

For comment or questions, please contact outgoing artistic director Pamela Anthony (780-760-2229) director@winterlight.ca; Betty Grudnizki, Society President; pplefirst@shaw.ca, or Board Member Jennifer Alabiso jennifer_alabiso@yahoo.ca

Source - email

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton