HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:54 PM

I have a lot of respect for Sohi And hope he does get reelected. We need council members who stay pro development. Who ever runs for mayor needs to have the ability to destroy Diotte before he ganes any real momentum and is hard to stop.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 8:28 PM

Haha Diotte was on CHED this morning and Jay Lynn Nye was just hammering him lol. Love it!!

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Sohi running for Councillor, not Mayor! Good call.
That's good. His candidacy as Mayor would not be successful, and I would hate to see him lose his seat on Council all together.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 8:53 PM

^^ Hah. He may have more luck with the Sun perhaps, but from what I've seen so far I think Diotte is struggling a bit with the media. What I don't understand about Diotte's campaign at this point is that he says he doesn't have a platform yet because we wants to listen to citizens...so he was just ignoring citizens for his 3 years on council? He really hasn't presented anything substantive yet and the media is going to ask question that get to his platform. Until he actually has one he comes across as somewhat clueless. Doesn't hurt that Mandel's "offhand" (I think Mandel knew damn well what he was doing) remark has managed to put Diotte on the defensive before he even officially announced. Diotte's inability to offer much in terms of actual ideas just reinforces what Mandel said. He is continually asked for a 'vision' and asked to defend his lack of action on council and I have yet to hear him actually answer.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 10:03 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

It's hard to see what's out there when you're stuck in a pothole. :/

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
Haha Diotte was on CHED this morning and Jay Lynn Nye was just hammering him lol. Love it!!
Yeah neither of them were very impressed by his lack of a platform, especially J'Lyn. My favourite moment of the whole interview was the sequence that was started off when she said:

Quote:
"Kerry, I want my Mayoralty candidates to know, going into the campaign, what it is they're going to do."
Tencer then interjected with this very correct observation:

Quote:
"And I think, to me, what you just described is suggesting that you're going into this putting your finger in the wind to see which way it blows before deciding which way you're going to go".
Diotte seemed very caught off guard by this, and essentially tried to sugar-coated it by saying:

Quote:
"No, I see it rather as basically listening to people and seeing what is important to them; percolating- you know, letting that information percolate- and then coming out with various harder proposals. Um, that-that's- that's how I operate."
That's the same damn thing Kerry!!!

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 10:38 PM

Ohh...see I must have been missing the whole point. His platform is to percolate...now he sounds like he knows what he's doing

Seriously though...why didn't he listen and percolate before and actually bring some productive motions to council? The more he talks about 'not knowing yet' the more it makes his term as councillor sound like a waste. Just keeps playing into Mandel's comments. I also think when another Councillor steps up to run, any of those that are rumoured to, they will be able to demonstrate a lot more knowledge and understanding within their announcement than he will manage through the entire campaign. Not to rule him out...certainly has his fans...but man its just uncomfortable to watch sometimes.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 1:00 AM

May be some of the candidates for mayor are weighting for Kerry to be destroyed as much as possible by the media then they will announce a solid platform based on experience . I would not leave it to long though as he may have a lot more support than some think.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
May be some of the candidates for mayor are weighting for Kerry to be destroyed as much as possible by the media then they will announce a solid platform based on experience . I would not leave it to long though as he may have a lot more support than some think.
Really?? A sampling on polls and public forums suggest Diotte has minority support and that is without anyone else in the race!.

Once a strong and progressive candidate comes forward the City will galvanize behind that candidate. Wildrose supporters can galvanize behind Diotte. He has branded himself that way and he will not shake that off...

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 2:35 AM

I'm placing my bets on Iverson running for Mayor. He's already stated he's not running for council.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I'm placing my bets on Iverson running for Mayor. He's already stated he's not running for council.
There is potential. The question for many will be how "progressive" (this does not mean P.C.) is he. His public record on sustainability and the environment are known. But where does he stand on economic development and business growth - will he trump these for a social policy agenda? Increase business taxes? Those are critical issues. I don't want another Jan Reimer - not do I want a far right penny pinching wing nut. I want a Mayor who will GROW this City and is not afraid to take risks and speak out (NO crap architecture) and WILL stand up to the Province for a new Big City funding arrangement coupled with amalgamation. Lets see who has balls that will be in this race. Neutered and whimpy please do not apply.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
There is potential. The question for many will be how "progressive" (this does not mean P.C.) is he. His public record on sustainability and the environment are known. But where does he stand on economic development and business growth - will he trump these for a social policy agenda? Increase business taxes? Those are critical issues. I don't want another Jan Reimer - not do I want a far right penny pinching wing nut. I want a Mayor who will GROW this City and is not afraid to take risks and speak out (NO crap architecture) and WILL stand up to the Province for a new Big City funding arrangement coupled with amalgamation. Lets see who has balls that will be in this race. Neutered and whimpy please do not apply.

I don't want another Jan Reimer

Yeah Im afraid he does remind me of her!!! Kinda scary really. I like the guy...but I don't see him as a Mayor.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:50 AM
Community Guy

Iveson has all but declared.

Also, expect another ward 6 soon...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
It's hard to see what's out there when you're stuck in a pothole. :/
HA!

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 8:35 AM

Can someone please make all of our days better and start a Diotte percolating meme?

In all seriousness, you don't start a campaign without some semblance of a platform announcement. You need to be the conversation, not let someone else define it for you. Announcing that your strategy is to be a political weather vane does not a popular candidate make.

I'm sure the man has priorities in mind, but until he fills that vacuum people like us are simply going to fill it for him. Judging from these responses, that won't be pretty.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:09 AM

And there we have it. Instead of creating the conversation, Staples just created it for him. Ouch.

Quote:
You have to consult widely, research thoroughly, argue your points, build a consensus and get results, be it on battling for LRT funding, or fighting with billionaire Daryl Katz on an arena deal, or spearheading a major austerity program. Diotte’s resume is short on examples of success on this kind of leadership.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...706/story.html

Last edited by ccw219; May 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:11 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Iveson has all but declared.

Also, expect another ward 6 soon...
When's the announcement?

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:16 PM
Community Guy

My guess, a week or so.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:20 PM

Is it me or are others noticing that the media is not taking CD seriously. Every time I hear or read something there are jabs at him.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw219 View Post
Can someone please make all of our days better and start a Diotte percolating meme?

In all seriousness, you don't start a campaign without some semblance of a platform announcement. You need to be the conversation, not let someone else define it for you. Announcing that your strategy is to be a political weather vane does not a popular candidate make.

I'm sure the man has priorities in mind, but until he fills that vacuum people like us are simply going to fill it for him. Judging from these responses, that won't be pretty.
Tell that to Justin Trudeau .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton