HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
It shouldn't surprise anyone. That hideous, turd of a County Block House (courthouse) got built right off the waterfront. That ugly thing is just a bland fat wall.
I really like the result of the new courthouse building.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I really like the result of the new courthouse building.
I'm liking it, too. I've only seen it in video and pictures, though, but the building's mass is no longer a concern to me and the curtain wall design is different than any other large structure downtown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
I'm liking it, too. I've only seen it in video and pictures, though, but the building's mass is no longer a concern to me and the curtain wall design is different than any other large structure downtown.
Drove by it recently a number of times and it overwhelms the street. It needs a setback in my opinion. The design is poor. It's a WALL.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:18 PM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Got to tour the courthouse last Thursday. It’s coming along nicely.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:14 AM

its very governmental, thats how I see it--it is what it be

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Though with the cost of hotel rooms in Portland, if this one markets itself to have more affordable rates, it will be a welcomed addition to the city.
If I'm not mistaken, at 610 rooms (10 more than the Convention Center Hotel) this would be the largest in PDX...!?

As for the design, this organization has their own in-house "Registered First Class" (love that!) architect, so dream on as far as letting a local outfit in on the fun in any significant way. The colorful postmodern-ish look is part and parcel of the Toyoko brand, and for those in this forum who decry the general blandness of our city's appearance – this would certainly help address that would it not!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
If I'm not mistaken, at 610 rooms (10 more than the Convention Center Hotel) this would be the largest in PDX...!?
You'd be right with an asterisk. The Hilton Portland likes to think of the main tower and Duniway tower as one property with 782 rooms.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:03 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
The fun begins. What are the odds that we'll ever see the kind of colorful, detailed 3-D renderings typical of any major proposal in Portland? I ask (1) as an industry outsider who enjoys architecture/urban planning as a side interest, and (2) because of the comments in the Curbed article stating that the Chicago design was "always a bit of a mystery" and that no one had seen anything more detailed than simple elevations. Portland's Design Review process requires a much greater degree of transparency, doesn't it? This looks like a tall, skinny version of their cookie cutter designs seen throughout Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
You flat-out cannot get approval for a Type 3 design review project in Portland (or Seattle for that matter) without color renderings (and a whole lot more). And since the design commission has approval discretion, the better the renderings the higher the chance your project will be approved.

Also, all of the design commission meetings are open to the public. Our own maccoinnich in this thread hosts a website where he tracks EVERYTHING design review related.

This isn't the time to have some intern do a 5 minute sketchup model without textures.

Considering that this project team doesn't have a local partner/architect of record, they are going to have a very bad experience with our process.

Here's a snippet from the Chicago project:

Quote:
Reilly added that he had worked with planner to improve the hotel’s original design, which he called “God awful.”

Last edited by zilfondel; Aug 8, 2019 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:10 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
It's pretty common in the Midwest. I moved from Portland to the Midwest and you can build a major project without any public notice or hearing where I work. There aren't staff reports to show how projects meet or don't meet code or design guidelines. The whole process is not nearly as transparent as it is on the West Coast.

Most of these cities have had major problems over the past 50 years and have focused on other priorities and now that they're recovering from divestment and decay they still have a mentality where any development is good development regardless of the quality. That's why I think so much of the development here is so unattractive. With a lack of transparency there's no one to hold local governments and developers accountable and a lot of the codes and standards are outdated. The only time the public gets to see things is if local media can get their hands on elevations. I think all of this contributes to a lower quality design in new construction projects. Downtown Chicago has so many new buildings with bad designs and they integrate with the street poorly and often have massive parking podiums. Here in Ohio a lot of new infill gets built with very cheap materials that aren't suited to the climate and the state doesn't mandate comprehensive planning so the cities grow without any sort of cohesive plan.

Everyone in Portland is lucky to live in a state with good land use planning laws. It might slow development a little compared to the short approval times here, but you get better quality infrastructure, site design, and architecture in the finished product which overall makes Oregonian cities more attractive, sustainable, and boots quality of life.
I worked on a project here funded by a Chicago investor. Umm, they had some very unrealistic expectations for construction in our region. And regulatory approval. They actually asked us to bribe the design commission and take them on a golfing outing.

Also, they wanted to erect a 6 story building without using a crane. They stated that it was normal in Chicago for ironworkers to carry heavy HSS and w flange steel members up the stairs. I always wondered how they got the concrete up to pour the floors. We were... well anyway the project fell through for these and other reasons.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
It's pretty common in the Midwest. I moved from Portland to the Midwest and you can build a major project without any public notice or hearing where I work. There aren't staff reports to show how projects meet or don't meet code or design guidelines. The whole process is not nearly as transparent as it is on the West Coast.

Most of these cities have had major problems over the past 50 years and have focused on other priorities and now that they're recovering from divestment and decay they still have a mentality where any development is good development regardless of the quality. That's why I think so much of the development here is so unattractive. With a lack of transparency there's no one to hold local governments and developers accountable and a lot of the codes and standards are outdated. The only time the public gets to see things is if local media can get their hands on elevations. I think all of this contributes to a lower quality design in new construction projects. Downtown Chicago has so many new buildings with bad designs and they integrate with the street poorly and often have massive parking podiums. Here in Ohio a lot of new infill gets built with very cheap materials that aren't suited to the climate and the state doesn't mandate comprehensive planning so the cities grow without any sort of cohesive plan.

Everyone in Portland is lucky to live in a state with good land use planning laws. It might slow development a little compared to the short approval times here, but you get better quality infrastructure, site design, and architecture in the finished product which overall makes Oregonian cities more attractive, sustainable, and boots quality of life.
Not sure about Ohio, but....Having moved to Chicago from Portland I’m not sure where to begin on this. Chicagoans have *ample* opportunity to view and contribute to the unveiling of any major building project in the city or their ward. From a small apartment building to a high rise. The idea that anyone can build anything without public feedback is ludicrous. There are some aldermen that, in my opinion, actually go too far in letting residents control a particular project.
I’m not saying that things aren’t tricky now and then when things get approved, I believe the asphalt plant in McKinley Park didn’t do proper environmental notifications to local residents, for example. Some developers get favored attention from aldermen in hot wards by donating, etc.
But this idea that Chicago is so thirsty for development that they approve anything and everything under the cover of darkness with no review is complete BS. The spire site proposal has been through multiple public hearings and the alderman killed it and sent the developer back to the drawing board.
I think vista tower, nema, and wolf point towers are all gorgeous and went through vigorous design reviews. Are there bad developments on parking podiums? Absolutely. But I consider that more of a local cultural choice or a fear from developers that if they don’t add parking they won’t be able to sell units. The geology of Chicago also makes underground parking prohibitively expensive which is why podiums are the norm. TOD here is also much more controversial as its seen as a more gentrifying element than in Portland. And the L is already packed along the corridors developers are going to.
From my understanding about the hotel project here, it was approved by right as it fit the zoning but I don’t recall it getting building permits. Chicago also approves permits in phases, so they may have been allowed to do soil testing or site prep maybe. I’m probably wrong, but my understanding is that it’s been an off again on again project for years and is for all intents and purposes a dead/dormant project. Not sure if it’s the market or funding or what.
I’d also add that if the Multnomah County Courthouse was produced from Portland’s vaunted public process then it’s worth a revisit on how well it’s working - not only is that building ugly as hell it seems the city didn’t take into consideration its placement within the skyline and what a prominent location like that would need, it’s a huge wasted opportunity and looks super awkward. With a few exceptions I completely disagree on the state of Portland/Oregon’s quality of architecture, nothing compelling or visionary being built and the major projects being built in Portland would be infill in most major cities. It’s a pretty town surrounded by some of the most amazing landscape in the country but the architecture never gave me goosebumps.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbydesign View Post
I think vista tower, nema, and wolf point towers are all gorgeous and went through vigorous design reviews.
It's worth understanding what design review in Portland is, and what it is isn't. It's not a process intended to produce flashy architecture on the skyline. It doesn't preclude that, but that's not the goal. The #1 goal is to make a pedestrian friendly environment. One of my friends (who used to work on the design review team) once half joked that in Portland you have to do a good ground floor, and after that it doesn't matter. That's not quite true... but there's a grain of truth there.

So, with that in mind I looked up the examples you gave. This ground level would never make it through Portland's design process.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It's worth understanding what design review in Portland is, and what it is isn't. It's not a process intended to produce flashy architecture on the skyline. It doesn't preclude that, but that's not the goal. The #1 goal is to make a pedestrian friendly environment. One of my friends (who used to work on the design review team) once half joked that in Portland you have to do a good ground floor, and after that it doesn't matter. That's not quite true... but there's a grain of truth there.

So, with that in mind I looked up the examples you gave. This ground level would never make it through Portland's design process.
That building in Chicago (in the Google Street View link) would be perfect for the coming zombie apocalypse, as would all the buildings on that street! Talk about a horrible pedestrian environment!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanbydesign View Post
I completely disagree on the state of Portland/Oregon’s quality of architecture, nothing compelling or visionary being built and the major projects being built in Portland would be infill in most major cities.
You lost me here when I realized that you don't really know what you're talking about. When did you move, 1987?

As a side note, I really don't get the level of discord around the new courthouse building on this forum. I think its effect on the waterfront and overall skyline is generally positive. The facade has turned out nicer than I expected and I think both the scale and design of the building add some positive visual interest to a collection of waterfront architecture that otherwise does not do the city, or its relationship to the river, much justice.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:41 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:14 AM
A before E

I'm calling this one officially dead, I was working downtown today and happened to see this site with a big for sale sign up. So I don't think this weird looking hotel is gonna happen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland