HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:46 PM

^ Interesting... is it on TSN?

For a hometown hero, he keeps a pretty low profile. I really don't know much about the guy other than the fact that he's from Winnipeg and he became a father at a young age.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:50 PM

There's an article online in the FP. Couldn't tell where it is being broadcast. It talks about how it's a big thing for him because he isn't an emotional guy, but he wants to help others with his story.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 12:45 PM

Well back to an ABC Grey Cup!

Too bad Streveler couldn't make that pass to Harris. God I hate the Stamps and their gawd awful uniforms and whiney coach!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Well back to an ABC Grey Cup!

Too bad Streveler couldn't make that pass to Harris. God I hate the Stamps and their gawd awful uniforms and whiney coach!
Ottawa Redblacks vs. Calgary Redblacks, amirite?

And Dickenson might be the only coach in the league more insufferable than Maas.

OK, now that I've gotten the bitterness out of my system I can settle down and look forward to another great finale... without Winnipeg... again

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:51 PM

I'm not looking forward to anything.. Another piss off. My bitterness will linger for probably another 7 years before Bombers get close again. "Close".

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:06 PM

^ I find it amazing that O'Shea has such a long leash. Guys like Berry and LaPo got canned the year after taking the Bombers to the Grey Cup game. Ritchie had a slightly longer period of decline but even then he got axed a couple years after leading the most dominant Bomber team of our generation to a stellar 14-4 record.

Yet with O'Shea it's year after year after year of disappointment. It's as though Walters and the Bomber board are just mesmerized by his accomplishments as a player and feel as though it's inevitable he will reach those heights as a coach.

Guys, give it up already. Even a legend like Gretzky only got 4 years before the Coyotes realized he wasn't going to be an amazing coach. Yet O'Shea is going to just keep cruising along... but mind you, I think the Bombers are going to feel it in their pocketbook next year. If social media and news comments are any indication, a growing number of fans are fed up with O'Shea. That might ramp up the pressure a bit.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^

......Yet with O'Shea it's year after year after year of disappointment.....
The Bombers have had three consecutive winning seasons after going 21-51 through 2012-2015. They won their first playoff game in 7 years. In Regina too for the first time since 1955; always sweet to win there .

Yesterday's game was winnable even late in the 4th but the passing game was awful and Nicholls should have been pulled at least for a few series by the middle of the third quarter.

Yes, 28 years and running since the last Grey Cup championship but by no means a totally disappointing season.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:59 PM

^ Not a totally disappointing season but still pretty disappointing when you consider that the team could be hit hard by free agency and will be in a tougher spot to compete next year. Unless Walters pulls off some pretty impressive work the Bombers are going to be lucky to hit .500 as rebuilding looms ahead.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 10:10 PM

Stopped supporting the Bombers about 15 years ago. One of the best decisions i've ever made. (What have I missed? Serious question). The 1 constant during the 30 year cup drought & all the Bombers failures/screw-ups has been OWNERSHIP. "Community Ownership" is old, tired and obsolete.

And have they paid back that $200+ million they owe Manitoba taxpayers yet? Haven't heard much about that lately.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:42 PM

You must have missed the news Goldie. The province has forgiven all debt for the stadium. Not joking.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:15 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You must have missed the news Goldie. The province has forgiven all debt for the stadium. Not joking.
Wish we were joking :'[
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:24 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I find it amazing that O'Shea has such a long leash. Guys like Berry and LaPo got canned the year after taking the Bombers to the Grey Cup game. Ritchie had a slightly longer period of decline but even then he got axed a couple years after leading the most dominant Bomber team of our generation to a stellar 14-4 record.

Yet with O'Shea it's year after year after year of disappointment. It's as though Walters and the Bomber board are just mesmerized by his accomplishments as a player and feel as though it's inevitable he will reach those heights as a coach.

Guys, give it up already. Even a legend like Gretzky only got 4 years before the Coyotes realized he wasn't going to be an amazing coach. Yet O'Shea is going to just keep cruising along... but mind you, I think the Bombers are going to feel it in their pocketbook next year. If social media and news comments are any indication, a growing number of fans are fed up with O'Shea. That might ramp up the pressure a bit.
Whom would you see as a replacement?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:28 PM

I'd like to think the same kind of year end year out mediocrity for three decades wouldn't be acceptable anywhere else. Yeah, O'Shea is not a good coach, and his strategic instincts are awful. Nichols is an average QB. Is anything ever going to be done about it?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Whom would you see as a replacement?
The last time we hired a head coach we just took the Argos' special teams guy and gave him a huge promotion, so on that basis pretty well any coordinator or non-stale head coach looking for work deserves a look.

Khari Jones, Devone Claybrooks, Mark Washington, Marc Trestman, Orlondo Steinhauer, Jaime Elizondo are a few names that come to mind.

I'm sure there are probably some guys with NFL and NCAA experience who might consider coming up too.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:37 PM

Obvious the one name that sticks out. Trestman.

Rumours of LaPo leaving for a head coaching gig. His contract is over. Would you give him another shot at HC in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:39 PM

^ I like LaPo and I thought he was fired way prematurely in 2012. I'm not sure that the WFC would ever admit that it was wrong with him and rehire him as HC, but I certainly wouldn't complain if it did.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:41 PM

He had the offence rolling this year, but couldn't get it finished off in the playoffs. Partially due to on field performance.

If Trestman doesn't want to play (which is likely a no already), I'd give LaPo a shot again based on who's available.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:45 PM

Trestman would be great. i would give LaPo another shot. Start prepping Streveler to take over at QB. Nichols would be a great backup.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Trestman would be great. i would give LaPo another shot. Start prepping Streveler to take over at QB. Nichols would be a great backup.
Pretty much this. I think we've already seen Nichols' best days. He will be the nominal starter in 2019 but it will be a transitional year with Streveler taking the reins for 2020.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:58 PM

IMO a quarterback needs to be mobile. Plain and simple. When you can't run for 3 yards to get a first down, you're no good. Streveler can,throw, run, and not afraid to take a hit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan