HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12261  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:20 AM
LAtoTX LAtoTX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 26
Is the old terminal at MSY going to be renovated once the new expansion is complete? If so, will these two terminals be connected via a tram system or buses?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12262  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:58 AM
lamsalfl lamsalfl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoTX View Post
Is the old terminal at MSY going to be renovated once the new expansion is complete? If so, will these two terminals be connected via a tram system or buses?
Everything will be torn down except for Concourse D which is the Delta concourse. This will be used for charters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12263  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:01 AM
lamsalfl lamsalfl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 85
We need to figure out what to do with City Hall and Civil District Court, two decrepit buildings on prime real estate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12264  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:14 AM
typo86's Avatar
typo86 typo86 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
We need to figure out what to do with City Hall and Civil District Court, two decrepit buildings on prime real estate.
And put City Hall and Civil District Court where?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12265  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:14 AM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
And put City Hall and Civil District Court where?
Well the city is trying to acquire the land and parking garage from the state that abuts Duncan Plaza. Myexpectation is a new civil district court next to the park and refurbished city hall where it currently is. There are so many more important things to invest in than a giant city hall.. current one with some fema funds that they have can easily be modernized and with the right lighting actually look quite nice. civil court will pay for itself through fees.
__________________
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12266  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:34 AM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
Everything will be torn down except for Concourse D which is the Delta concourse. This will be used for charters.
I think some of the main terminal will stay and all of concourse D... not sure about the parking garages... main plan is to allow airside businesses to be built in the foot print of the current a,b,c terminals
__________________
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12267  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:48 AM
typo86's Avatar
typo86 typo86 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Well the city is trying to acquire the land and parking garage from the state that abuts Duncan Plaza. Myexpectation is a new civil district court next to the park and refurbished city hall where it currently is. There are so many more important things to invest in than a giant city hall.. current one with some fema funds that they have can easily be modernized and with the right lighting actually look quite nice. civil court will pay for itself through fees.
The post I was quoting though seems to indicate a want to move city hall from that area entirely. That's just not feasible anytime soon IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12268  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:48 AM
jjslonaker jjslonaker is offline
NOLA Razorback
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Well the city is trying to acquire the land and parking garage from the state that abuts Duncan Plaza. Myexpectation is a new civil district court next to the park and refurbished city hall where it currently is. There are so many more important things to invest in than a giant city hall.. current one with some fema funds that they have can easily be modernized and with the right lighting actually look quite nice. civil court will pay for itself through fees.
I personally think City Hall is a really gorgeous midcentury building when properly maintained and pressure washed. I love going in there and seeing all the gorgeous marble and what not on every floor. I think a renovation and maybe addition on top or next to it would suffice if they need more space. Building a new civil district court next door wouldn't be a bad idea, Duncan Plaza as a whole could use a redesign(which I believe is actually proposed recently). But I agree there's currently bigger fish to fry ATM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12269  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:51 PM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I personally think City Hall is a really gorgeous midcentury building when properly maintained and pressure washed. I love going in there and seeing all the gorgeous marble and what not on every floor. I think a renovation and maybe addition on top or next to it would suffice if they need more space. Building a new civil district court next door wouldn't be a bad idea, Duncan Plaza as a whole could use a redesign(which I believe is actually proposed recently). But I agree there's currently bigger fish to fry ATM.
I agree... its a superb example of that era of architecture.
__________________
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12270  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:16 PM
prokowave prokowave is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoTX View Post
Does anybody know of a realistic timeline for the construction of The Odeon? I know this project is early in planning, but I'm wondering if it will actually come to fruition. How refreshing and cool would it be to see a building of that height being built in New Orleans again?

Side note: has there ever been any consideration of connecting NOLA and BR together along the I-10 corridor? Something like Dallas-Fort Worth. Baton Rouge definitely has the potential to grow into a sprawling city, and having its growth developing along I-10 towards NOLA would only make sense. Furthermore, it would also make sense to encourage development along I-12 and essentially turn Mandeville into a large suburb. The state needs to keep finding new ways to diversify the economy, and I believe something like this may actually be a possibility. I smell huge potential--but then there is Louisiana politics.
Baton Rouge is already sprawling and is a pain to drive through. There is limited room for interstate expansion in the BR metro itself and it would be enormously expensive to expand the interstate between the areas due to the miles of bridges. I don't think anyone wants any more sprawl, at least until something can be done about that. Our best hope for a more connected region is getting commuter rail service going.

Regarding the airport, the plans are to leave concourse D and the western portion of the terminal building, including the parabola. All of the parking and rental car facilities on the south side will remain, as these needs won't be accommodated on the north side. A shuttle will be needed to access the rental facility and long-term parking there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12271  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:56 PM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Baton Rouge is already sprawling and is a pain to drive through. There is limited room for interstate expansion in the BR metro itself and it would be enormously expensive to expand the interstate between the areas due to the miles of bridges. I don't think anyone wants any more sprawl, at least until something can be done about that. Our best hope for a more connected region is getting commuter rail service going.

Regarding the airport, the plans are to leave concourse D and the western portion of the terminal building, including the parabola. All of the parking and rental car facilities on the south side will remain, as these needs won't be accommodated on the north side. A shuttle will be needed to access the rental facility and long-term parking there.
I know they wanted to get away from the car rental shuttle stuff but there is no real alternative ... I am still curious about how the whole access road to new terminal will
Work eespecially before the flyover ramp happens
__________________
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12272  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:59 PM
broadmoor broadmoor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I know they wanted to get away from the car rental shuttle stuff but there is no real alternative ... I am still curious about how the whole access road to new terminal will
Work eespecially before the flyover ramp happens
My guess is a temporary road from Loyola Avenue until they finish building a direct-to-terminal exit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12273  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:03 PM
broadmoor broadmoor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoTX View Post
Does anybody know of a realistic timeline for the construction of The Odeon? I know this project is early in planning, but I'm wondering if it will actually come to fruition. How refreshing and cool would it be to see a building of that height being built in New Orleans again?

Side note: has there ever been any consideration of connecting NOLA and BR together along the I-10 corridor? Something like Dallas-Fort Worth. Baton Rouge definitely has the potential to grow into a sprawling city, and having its growth developing along I-10 towards NOLA would only make sense. Furthermore, it would also make sense to encourage development along I-12 and essentially turn Mandeville into a large suburb. The state needs to keep finding new ways to diversify the economy, and I believe something like this may actually be a possibility. I smell huge potential--but then there is Louisiana politics.
There's been a ton of talk about bringing the two metro areas economically closer. We've talked about it before on here, but essentially the business bureaus of both areas are working together because they want to eventually have enough population crossover to combine the metro areas by Census definition. Part of that is the ongoing studies into a commuter train between the two cities. The study was funded and mostly completed a while back, and cities like Gonzales along the way have already purchased and reserved land for a station. But now the big piece is securing funding from all levels of government and from the freight rail companies to make the major upgrades needed to the existing tracks in order to have a passenger rail be able to go on it in a reasonable amount of time. With what's happening on the federal level in terms of funding infrastructure, we'll see...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12274  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:09 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,332
We could have had such a service up and running if not for Jindal. Now we've got a supportive governor in Bel-Edwards but no money available at the state or Federal levels.

I wonder if All Aboard Florida would be interested in doing a Brightline Lite in Louisiana? Wouldn't be too hard if they had the cooperation of Kansas City Southern which owns the rail corridor. It could be funded, in part, by real estate development on both ends. NOLA and BR may not have lots of money to throw around, but they do have something valuable to trade in the form of development rights.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12275  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:44 PM
mwm991 mwm991 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
I wonder if the horrendously named Babycakes have any plans for a ballpark in the CBD/FQ? I was thinking that block of parking lots adjacent to Walk-Ons between Poydras, Perdido and Loyola possibly?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12276  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:46 PM
jjslonaker jjslonaker is offline
NOLA Razorback
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
I wonder if the horrendously named Babycakes have any plans for a ballpark in the CBD/FQ? I was thinking that block of parking lots adjacent to Walk-Ons between Poydras, Perdido and Loyola possibly?
That'd be an awful use of land. There's no demand for a baseball team. The burbs love having it out there. That land should be used for dense high rise office/residential/commercial development

Last edited by jjslonaker; Apr 19, 2017 at 7:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12277  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:12 PM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
That'd be an awful use of land. There's no demand for a baseball team. The burbs love having it out there. That land should be used for dense high rise office/residential/commercial development
Id say the closest we get to something like that is Top Shot Golf on earhart... it belongs where it is in the burbs I guess.
__________________
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12278  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:31 PM
mwm991 mwm991 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
That'd be an awful use of land. There's no demand for a baseball team. The burbs love having it out there. That land should be used for dense high rise office/residential/commercial development
Those lots have sat vacant forever. It would provide outdoor concert space, bring additional foot traffic downtown and it is a lot more attractive to visitors as opposed to having to travel out to Metairie. Also it would be very attractive for events like SEC and other conference championships. I know its minor league baseball, but I don't think its as bad as it sounds. It might annoy some of the suburbanites in Jefferson Parish, although attendances are hardly jawdropping out there in a ballpark with a view of a 61! Memphis, Nashville etc have minor league parks in or near the center.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12279  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:42 PM
jjslonaker jjslonaker is offline
NOLA Razorback
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
Those lots have sat vacant forever. It would provide outdoor concert space, bring additional foot traffic downtown and it is a lot more attractive to visitors as opposed to having to travel out to Metairie. Also it would be very attractive for events like SEC and other conference championships. I know its minor league baseball, but I don't think its as bad as it sounds. It might annoy some of the suburbanites in Jefferson Parish, although attendances are hardly jawdropping out there in a ballpark with a view of a 61! Memphis, Nashville etc have minor league parks in or near the center.
I agree they have been vacant for a very long time, but also so have a lot of buildings downtown, and parking lots for that matter. But thats not the case anymore and just about every building seems to be occupied or is being renovated/slated for renovation, and parking lots and vacant land is disappearing. SMD was also vacant and now thats turning into a thriving neighborhood. I think these parcels of land right there have a lot of potential for something really great along Loyola, finally. lol Honestly we're also just not a "baseball town".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12280  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:05 PM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I agree they have been vacant for a very long time, but also so have a lot of buildings downtown, and parking lots for that matter. But thats not the case anymore and just about every building seems to be occupied or is being renovated/slated for renovation, and parking lots and vacant land is disappearing. SMD was also vacant and now thats turning into a thriving neighborhood. I think these parcels of land right there have a lot of potential for something really great along Loyola, finally. lol Honestly we're also just not a "baseball town".
yeah might have been a good idea a decade ago but not anymore.. i always thought a baseball field on the westbank though with the city in the background would have been neat to experience
__________________
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.