HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:15 PM

More good news in the tech sector. Hopefully DXC started a trend!

https://www.nola.com/business/index...._350_jobs.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:38 PM

EDIT -- Beat me to it!

Some good news for New Orleans' economy and the commercial real estate market: Accruent will open a new tech center downtown. They've been hiring for some positions locally for a few months now, but I wasn't expected over 300 jobs planned (key word planned) by 2020. That's awesome.

https://www.opportunitylouisiana.com...wn-new-orleans

A couple of interesting thoughts here: in one of the other articles about this announcement (maybe on The Advocate or Nola.com) they mention partnering with Operation Spark, which is great because those guys help people learn the coding skills needed for these new middle class jobs without going back to college.

And while I would hate to be "the next Austin," I think New Orleans is very well positioned to continue growing our tech economy as a "cool" city that's now cheaper and more convenient to open offices in compared to Austin. Soon we'll have enough talent to organically grow and attract newcomers without "renting" companies through tax incentives.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:59 PM

Another major technology sector jobs announcement in such a short time is great news. Between just Accruent and DXC, we're looking at 2,350 new jobs that will definitely create more of a built-in workforce for this industry. The big thing now is for local universities to catch up at all levels. Hopefully we see results soon from private and public investment through DXC's tax deal!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Another major technology sector jobs announcement in such a short time is great news. Between just Accruent and DXC, we're looking at 2,350 new jobs that will definitely create more of a built-in workforce for this industry. The big thing now is for local universities to catch up at all levels. Hopefully we see results soon from private and public investment through DXC's tax deal!
I know they're not the cool kid on the block anymore, but GE did a great job revamping UNO's program and continues to take in their interns, plenty of whom end up working there after college.

As we mature, the real goal for UNO and other local computer engineering programs will be to develop a stronger regional reputation so we start pulling kids from outside the area. We also need to drum up more interest in the youth to pursue these high paying, high demand careers. Otherwise we might lose momentum.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:48 PM

I'm actually more excited about this than the DXC announcement. The DXC one is bigger, but it seems to have kind of an air of corporate sleight of hand... Accruent also says they'll have everyone hired by 2020, as opposed to DXC's longer timeline.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
And while I would hate to be "the next Austin," I think New Orleans is very well positioned to continue growing our tech economy as a "cool" city that's now cheaper and more convenient to open offices in compared to Austin. Soon we'll have enough talent to organically grow and attract newcomers without "renting" companies through tax incentives.
Austin is basically sprawl for cool kids, that city goes on forever to the north and south, I assume the east is next. If you think Austin is expensive, just wait and see what happens if NOLA starts to grow the same kind of tech sector. (And I'm still not sure the city has the culture to support outside entrepreneurs coming in).

There's really not a lot of room to grow in NOLA, no relief valve. Austin eased prices through sprawl but there's not much land available in NOLA that doesn't require a trip across a long ass bridge. NO East/Bayou Sauvage is off limits, the Labranche Wetlands are off limits due to ecological concerns. Basically it's just some land in Avondale and Luling. I still can't figure out why English Turn never developed, either, its only 25 minutes from Canal St. But in a serious tech boom, that land would all get snapped up and developed in 5-6 years max and then there would be a serious supply crisis that affects everyone, not just trendy historic neighborhoods.

I would love if the city grew through infill instead of sprawl, but that's not really an option either when so much of the city is historic and every new development triggers hysteria from the neighbors. Gosh, it's almost like the city can't house a growing population in a housing stock that hasn't grown for decades!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I would love if the city grew through infill instead of sprawl, but that's not really an option either when so much of the city is historic and every new development triggers hysteria from the neighbors. Gosh, it's almost like the city can't house a growing population in a housing stock that hasn't grown for decades!
I'm a bit more optimistic. Housing prices are easing up now that airBnB restrictions are in place and there are enough large developments to keep up with the demand for now. I think the big difference between New Orleans and Austin is that the infrastructure (although not always maintained) exists for another few hundred thousand people. Transit would need to be improved, but ostensibly the funding would grow with the population.

Take Jefferson Parish, it's been stagnant population wise, but if they started to see infill like in the CBD, there's a huge amount of land in Elmwood, Causeway, Veterans, malls, etc. where you could plop down large apartment buildings.

In the city, if you look at Gentilly, St. Bernard, St. Roch, ninth ward, NO East, there are tons of vacant lots and unoccupied houses that could be filled if the demand is there. Same goes for St. Bernard and Plaquemines - you can get from Belle Chasse to the CBD in 20-30 minutes.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Austin is basically sprawl for cool kids, that city goes on forever to the north and south, I assume the east is next. If you think Austin is expensive, just wait and see what happens if NOLA starts to grow the same kind of tech sector. (And I'm still not sure the city has the culture to support outside entrepreneurs coming in).

There's really not a lot of room to grow in NOLA, no relief valve. Austin eased prices through sprawl but there's not much land available in NOLA that doesn't require a trip across a long ass bridge. NO East/Bayou Sauvage is off limits, the Labranche Wetlands are off limits due to ecological concerns. Basically it's just some land in Avondale and Luling. I still can't figure out why English Turn never developed, either, its only 25 minutes from Canal St. But in a serious tech boom, that land would all get snapped up and developed in 5-6 years max and then there would be a serious supply crisis that affects everyone, not just trendy historic neighborhoods.

I think this is kind of an overstatement though. Consider how many parking lots we still have in the CBD, despite several of them being developed over the past few years. Younger tech sector employees love a good urban environment, and this is the skyscraper page forum after all, so I think all it does is create more demand for true density. South Market District's Odeon will be the tallest building constructed here in years, and it's all apartments. Lots of the demand could be filled by a few more of those, there are still underdeveloped neighborhoods in Orleans Parish (and gentrification is another issue brought up by this, but it won't be stopped with enough demand), and then for the employees who still want the suburban experience, we have Avondale and Luling like you mentioned, the Northshore has plenty space for growth, and closer in you do have places like St. Bernard that are still smaller than they were before Katrina that can guarantee space for growth.

All in all I think we have a long way to go before there's shortage of housing in our area, particularly because our population still isn't what it was in 2005. On edit: great points made above by prokowave about Jefferson Parish and the fact that for better or worse, this city once had 650,000 people in it and an infrastructure to match. It's easier to rehabilitate than build from nothing.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:

I don't think we'll see a tech boom like Austin or Denver, and we're not very well-suited for one in terms of development potential and space, but we do have to recognize that we'll continue to lose what remains of O&G jobs over time, and need some other industry to replace it.

If the new City Council and Mayor decide to maintain stricter regulations on AirBnB, and with the passage of time, I do think we'll see the current bubble deflate. As prices decline plenty of people will complain, but it'll make life easier for the average resident who doesn't count real estate speculation as a hobby. With lower prices in town, then suddenly the idea of economic revitalization (and the gentrification that always follows) will seem more bearable.

Also, it's an issue that every mid-career professional who moves here from out of state with a family (that I've encountered) finds Mandeville/Covington as the most attractive place to settle. To outsiders moving to town, Metairie and the West Bank hold no appeal at all. Jefferson Parish needs to figure out how to be "cool" enough to attract young families again. We also need to figure out how to make parts of Orleans Parish attractive to middle class families who might move here as well. Then we can attract people to fill in those residential areas outside the historic core.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:19 PM

Another nice tech win for New Orleans. Good to see. I'm guessing the initial 20,000 square feet of office space leased will need to be expanded as hiring increases.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 8:10 PM
-

there was another tech announcement a month ago that was 200 jobs as well but i forgot the company. i think it was imerrit or something like that

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 8:49 PM
TL;DR

I mean, the appeal of the Northshore is pretty obvious. It’s much more forested, and thus cooler in the summer. Homes are often brand new and Atlanta-esque (fewer shotguns and slab on grade ranches, more 2-story brick) while Old Covington offers good dining and cultural opportunities. It doesn’t feel like generic suburbia, it has a real town center even if most residents live in generic subdivisions anyway.

Jefferson has all the ugliness and endless concrete of the city, without the walkability or historic charm. It’s like all the things people hate about Los Angeles, but with worse weather. The only way to resuscitate it is to build an actual regional transit system, in which closeness to the CBD and the airport are important again.

I’m not gonna get into a whole racial discussion either, but Lake Ponchartrain is the ultimate segregator. You have to afford the causeway tolls and the gas to even think about living there, so it has a unique appeal to a certain type of person.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
I mean, the appeal of the Northshore is pretty obvious. It’s much more forested, and thus cooler in the summer. Homes are often brand new and Atlanta-esque (fewer shotguns and slab on grade ranches, more 2-story brick) while Old Covington offers good dining and cultural opportunities. It doesn’t feel like generic suburbia, it has a real town center even if most residents live in generic subdivisions anyway.

Jefferson has all the ugliness and endless concrete of the city, without the walkability or historic charm. It’s like all the things people hate about Los Angeles, but with worse weather. The only way to resuscitate it is to build an actual regional transit system, in which closeness to the CBD and the airport are important again.

I’m not gonna get into a whole racial discussion either, but Lake Ponchartrain is the ultimate segregator. You have to afford the causeway tolls and the gas to even think about living there, so it has a unique appeal to a certain type of person.
Things have changed a lot though, and many of the younger professionals who move to the New Orleans area are moving here because of the appeal of the central historic core. Typically they're not looking for the suburbs at all. Obviously there's a mixture of types, but a true urban environment is really the goal for transplants right now.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
there was another tech announcement a month ago that was 200 jobs as well but i forgot the company. i think it was imerrit or something like that
iMerit promised something like 100 jobs. Those aren't really tech jobs though. More like low-level data entry/data categorization. BUT those jobs can be the perfect opportunity for someone trying to break into data analytics/project management from non-traditional backgrounds.

It's important to have those "foot in the door" jobs for people to take for a year or two before moving into something better.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:36 AM

Yotel scouring sites in CBD for a location

https://www.yotel.com/en

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:28 AM

Quote:

Interesting...never thought of it like that before, particularly the L.A comparison.

It makes me wonder more though about the potential of New Orleans East - it has the potential with certain pockets that are quite forested (more marshy really) and provides some escape from the City while still having some potential for walk-ability and not quite generic suburbia vibe. Also makes me wonder if there is any potential left for more pockets of development to occur that contain some type of town-center feature or main thoroughfare. Imagine the former Jazzland area tying into Village Del Est

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:50 AM
TL;DR

^ You will never see North Shore style development within the levee system. The investment in clearing, pumping and protecting the land is enormous, so developers have to cram lots of homes in. There's no room to leave forest in place, or if they do, it has to provide some vital use like absorbing stormwater at high rates... but that would be an artificial engineered landscape, not the natural forest that was there originally.

What they could do, though, is really invest in the drainage canals with landscaping to create focal points and recreational amenities. Imagine Amsterdam-style town centers, or bike paths and baseball fields along the canals.

If only someone had studied this in detail.... oh wait.

https://livingwithwater.com/blog/urb...sign-overview/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:17 PM
-

Quote:
^ You will never see North Shore style development within the levee system. The investment in clearing, pumping and protecting the land is enormous, so developers have to cram lots of homes in. There's no room to leave forest in place, or if they do, it has to provide some vital use like absorbing stormwater at high rates... but that would be an artificial engineered landscape, not the natural forest that was there originally.

What they could do, though, is really invest in the drainage canals with landscaping to create focal points and recreational amenities. Imagine Amsterdam-style town centers, or bike paths and baseball fields along the canals.

If only someone had studied this in detail.... oh wait.

https://livingwithwater.com/blog/urb...sign-overview/
Moving forward we have to look at ourselves as a region not neighboring cities. Thats why its great to have all these different types of living arrangements. Theres something for everyone

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU_Forte View Post
Yotel scouring sites in CBD for a location

https://www.yotel.com/en
I always liked their concept ... i could see them doing well on canal or maybe even repurposong something like the old warwick hotel

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I always liked their concept ... i could see them doing well on canal or maybe even repurposong something like the old warwick hotel
you think the old whitney building might be a good location? I have to imagine the bank (or whoever owns it) will sell the building now that they are in one shell square. Other than that there arent many existing buildings that i can think of left in the CBD which is a good thing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations