HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:10 PM

[Surrey] Gateway Place | Completed

I got a letter at my house last week about disruptions on 108ave by gateway. Drove by today and saw they just put up metal fencing which wasn't there yesterday. looks like this project is about to get under way!

Quote:
When completed, the building will comprise a 60,000-sf, four-storey LEED Gold office tower coupled with 38,500 sf of retail space. The development will be anchored by both food and drug stores. The second phase will comprise two 32-storey residential towers each containing 258,000 sf for a total of more than 516,000 sf.

Gateway Place is the first building of a multi-phased, mixed-use development situated at the north end of the fast-developing Surrey City Centre. Completion for Gateway Place is scheduled for Q4 2015. The property is adjacent to the Gateway SkyTrain station, which is an efficient 34-minute commute to/from Downtown Vancouver, and only one stop from the Central City shopping centre and SkyTrain station.

http://s.lnimg.com/attachments/42545...F99C7CD2C6.pdf

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:16 PM

Cool, thanks for posting.
For some reason I had originally thought this project fronted King George Blvd, but it doesn't.

The link shows some heavy hitting retailers signed on - which should really help the area:

http://s.lnimg.com/attachments/42545...F99C7CD2C6.pdf

Too bad this didn't go ahead, though:

http://da-architects.ca/projects/gat...ark-surrey-bc/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 8:02 AM

Glad to see this coming up finally. I actually just drove by there tonight and noticed the fences up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 8:30 AM

Look forward to seeing this completed.

Last edited by Blease; Oct 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 8:42 PM

Never understood how they can state "four-storey office tower"... ugh. I would just call it a four-storey office building...

That said, good to see more development in that area. Gateway needs a shot in the arm... harr.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:10 AM

Wow. I'm surprised Nester's thinks the market is ready for their brand. Best of luck to them. I am absolutely happy though to see a drug and grocery store setting up shop in the area. Will help with access for the growing residential population.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:08 AM
Vancouver Moderator

A slight bit sad to know that the original plans for substantial office towers is long gone, but looking at this plan, it's probably the best that could feasibly be built in that location in the near future.
Good to see lots of retail space to bring more action to the pedestrian realm.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:50 AM

Considering how much is now getting underway in the area, the new size of this project seems to be a far more realistic option. Which is good, because finally we will see the area around Gateway station become far more complete in urban form.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Wow. I'm surprised Nester's thinks the market is ready for their brand. Best of luck to them. I am absolutely happy though to see a drug and grocery store setting up shop in the area. Will help with access for the growing residential population.
are there cheaper alternatives nearby?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:48 PM

Ive never been to Nesters so no sure what their prices are like.

The closest grocery stores are about 1km from Gateway so its not super far but if you have a lot of stuff it would be a pain

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:15 AM

deleted

Last edited by zmsmln; Oct 11, 2020 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:49 AM

They started cutting down the trees. Im sure some tree hugger cried today

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 1:22 AM

does the 4 storey office building have potential to grow higher in the future if the demand rises?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
does the 4 storey office building have potential to grow higher in the future if the demand rises?
If they could build on to central city mall then I see no reason why they couldn't add on to this.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
If they could build on to central city mall then I see no reason why they couldn't add on to this.
It really depends on what the structure can take in terms of weight. not all buildings are designed and built equally. and who knows, maybe they had to do some serious structural upgrades to be able to add on top of the mall.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:08 AM

i guess what i should ask, will this be built in such a way now that in the future it could go to a bigger height, sort of like the building on kingsway that added floors years laterwhen they were needed

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 10:33 PM

That would be smart if they did.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:44 PM

Why not email the developer and ask?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:03 PM

Good to see something go up in the area. I always feel Gateway is an area that is somewhat redundant, since Central City has been getting all attention and development and there is more to do in that vicinity. I will probably get flak for saying this but I would actually prefer Central City to be further developed than trying to densify Gateway for no reason other than because a skytrain station is there too.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Good to see something go up in the area. I always feel Gateway is an area that is somewhat redundant, since Central City has been getting all attention and development and there is more to do in that vicinity. I will probably get flak for saying this but I would actually prefer Central City to be further developed than trying to densify Gateway for no reason other than because a skytrain station is there too.
Gateway is what gives Surrey Central its "reputation" in the crime department. I think the densification isn't just because of SkyTrain but to encourage new development, more people walking around, and the area to clean itself up. Part of that is filling the empty lots with buildings (this project filling that requirement) and part is taking down the scum businesses and replacing them with higher-class (Tien-sher and the Quatro development for example + Bosa bulldozing the Dell and additional revamps around there).

So while I agree that I'd love to see more dense focus around Surrey Central to ride the momentum, Gateway can't just stand by and be neglected. That's largely why it is the way it is today and still has a ways to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley