HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 11:14 PM

175-183 King St 25s

Looks like the OMB hearing for Southside Construction proposed 25s residential tower is scheduled for Sept. One of the properties apparently is good to go for the wreaking ball but the other is still wrapped up in heritage fight. Given the sorry state of these buildings the sooner they come down the better.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 7:39 PM

Its hard to know what has went on behind the scenes but I do not think it is unreasonable for the city to request he incorporates some of the main structure into a highrise design.
I get it adds cost but I am sure the facade could be retained in some way...the "blue" building can be torn down.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 10:52 PM
bro

City needs to step up and offer some kind of worthwhile bonusing to save the old hotel facade at 183 King. I'm sad to see these buildings losing the fight, but saving the facade and incorporating it into the new building is basically mandatory in my eyes.

I'll concede to 90% of these buildings being demolished, but losing that facade would be tragic for that portion of King.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:52 AM

What's the cross-section and what old building are you talking about?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 12:55 PM

It seems like "Southside Construction" was trying to strong arm counsel making threats about spending money on the core. City counsel mentions in an older LFP article that they have not shown good will on past issues. So I am starting to think that Southside has in the past "promised" to build something only to demolish a building and build a parking lot instead.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/01/25/co...ct-frijia-says

ssiguy just street view 183 King Street, London you will see the buildings in question.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 7:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Meet the new council. Same as the old council. This fucking place...
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 10:39 AM

It would a good idea if the developer showed their plans for this proposed 25s tower. It might help their case ahead of the OMB hearing next year.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
It would a good idea if the developer showed their plans for this proposed 25s tower. It might help their case ahead of the OMB hearing next year.
Exactly what my concern was, seems the "need" to tear down these buildings for some reason yet we have not seen a plan to what they want to build.

I am sure counsel has the same concern and was why they said no.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 11:21 AM

Looks like some demolish has started on the shorter building that was cleared for demolition and not tied up with the OMB hearing.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 10:40 PM

Beginning to doubt that Southside even has an artist rendering of his proposed 25s project. Seems to me that he justs want to demolish it and make a parking lot which would make some money while the current buildings can't be leased.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/11/06/do...orian-building

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:51 PM

What I do not understand is why the LFP is giving this clown any air time? I am all for moving forward but it seems to me and apparently counsel as well that this guy just wants to demo the building and put a parking lot.

If his group were serious about wanting to build a "40 million dollar high rise" I am sure they could come to the table with some options to recreate the facade of this building. He takes the time to mention that Rygar was allowed to build but completely misses the point that Rygar has met almost every suggestion the city put before them, look where we are at now.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 5:59 PM

Building #1 is currently being torn down. Just need the other one approved.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:38 PM

Think the OMB hearing on this is scheduled for this month. There might be some additional info provided if true.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 11:46 PM

Competition for King St heated up today with York's proposal for 31s tower on King. My guess is Southside will let the building rot for a few more years and demolition itself. Then bulldoze and pave a nice parking lot for a decade. Ayerswood may even revisit their project at King and Clarence in that time.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:51 PM

Looks like the developer is changing his tune. Wants to keep or rebuild the facade of 183 King:

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/02/24/vi...eritage-facade

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:01 PM

Good news.

which of the three proposals on King St is most likely to see a crane go up first?

And will the BRT delay construction of any of them?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 4:34 PM

Awesome! I want to see the drawings of it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:25 PM

Interesting to see the developer changing their stance a bit, that is good to hear as i think the facade is worth retaining, much like what was done with JLC (Budweiser).

I am also sure the added pressure of the York development next door may have added to this change...who get shovels in the ground first.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 11:05 PM

The article in the LFP Friday said George the owner of the parking lot on Clarence St that is proposing a 31s tower is partnering with Southside and Vito on the construction of that tower. Might Southside be hedging their bet and turning their attention to a approved project on Clarence St? That way the King St. project can wait for 3-5 years.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 11:34 PM

I'd be surprised Vito and Southside are reviving this project even with this artist rendering shown in the LFP article.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-8dd4aa3e5c3d/

There was a fight back in 2017 with the heritage mob and the sense I had was Vito was going to let mother nature demolish the building or a vagrant fire take care of it.

This rendering shows a 37+ floor tower. His original proposal was 25 floors. If he is still interested in getting into the high rise residential business what would make more sense is the abandoned proposal for 455 Clarence St across from Nooners Lunch. That had rezoning approved to 32 floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates