HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 8:09 PM

Emporia, VA

Emporia is an independent city on the Southside of Virginia, south of Richmond and near the border with North Carolina. The independent city is the seat of Greensville County. Emporia has a population of around 6,000.

Emporia initially began as two separate communities. Hicksford started on the south bank of the Meherrin River in 1790, and Belfield started on the north side of the Meherrin River in 1798. The two were combined into Emporia in 1887, and the new town was named after the Latin word for "market". Today, the Hicksford section of Emporia functions as the gevernmental and commercial center of Emporia. Belfield, which flourished after the Civil War with the railroad boom, went into decline when the railroads declined, and the commercial area is largely empty.

Village View, off of Clay Street.

The mansion was built in 1816, and enlarged in 1825. It once was surrounded by a large farmstead.

Houses on Clay Street.

The Main Street United Methodist Church, on Main Street at Church Street. In the background is the Main Street Baptist Church, built in 1978.

The Deal-Weaver House, on Main Street. The house was built in 1907.

Buildings on Main Street. The three-story buildings in this block of structures were built in the 1880s.

Buildings on Main Street in the Hicksford section of town.

The Greensville County Courthouse, on Main Street. The courthouse was built in 1831.

Buildings on Main Street. On the left is the old Citizens National Bank, built in 1922.

The old Merchants and Farmers Bank, on Main Street. The building was constructed in 1902, and is now the Greensville County Historical Museum.

The Hicksford Lodge No. 37 Masonic Temple, on Main Street. The lodge was built in 1905.

Houses on Church Street.

A building on Main Street.

Empty buildings on Baker Street in the Belfield section of town.

The Commercial Building and train station, at Baker & Halifax Streets.

The Commercial Building, on Halifax Street at Baker Street. The structure was built in 1907 and was originally a bank.

The Emporia Train Depot, on Halifax Street. The train station was built in 1900, and originally served the Petersburg & Danville Railroad.

Buildings on Halifax Street in the Belfield section of Emporia.

A house on Valley Street.

A building on Valley Street.

A house on Center Street.

Monumental United Methodist Church, on Southampton Street.

The H. T. Klugel Architectural Sheet Metal Work Building, on Atlantic Street. The structure was built in 1914, and the facade displayed the firm's work.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

Adorable. That is the town you build for miniature railroads.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:10 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Adorable. That is the town you build for miniature railroads.
That sounds like a great idea to me.

I use to stop in Emporia sometimes when I visited my daughter and son-in-law in North Carolina. Nice place, but it does have sprawl out near the Interstate.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:42 PM
Posh

Charming!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 4:24 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Monumental United Methodist Church, on Southampton Street.

I've seen a church almost exactly like this, in Winston-Salem's Waughtown Neighborhood. I was very impressed with the design.

GSV

I found it when I was taking photographs there, around 2004. The church is a Baptist Church, with a 1919 cornerstone. After seeing this thread, I tried to find an architect for the Winston-Salem church, but couldn't. Only a building committee and a GC. This leads me to believe it's from a design book, where you look at renderings and floor plans and can buy the full set of architectural documents for a design you like. It appears as if the committee bought the plans and the Winston-Salem building's GC may have slightly modified the plans with more brick? I can also see where it was expanded and some of the windows were moved. Two front windows were replaced with stone plaques. I doubt it was a catalog order, with building materials, due to the modifications?

Interesting... at least to me. A little disappointing to see the church I was impressed with in 2004 is from a plan book, though. Both are still great buildings.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 4:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

Virginia has so many awesome historic towns, I need to get down there more often. Was just in Richmond last week and the towns are all so beautiful. I havent ever made it south of Richmond and Im sure the communities get a little bit less well off as those in the northern part of the state which are closer to DC sphere of influence. I also visited Charlottsville and other small towns near Monticello; there's so much money and influence in that part of the state. I would love to live in Virginia someday, being so close to so much of this countries early colonial history would be amazing and the state is absolutely gorgeous.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 2:13 PM
Illustrator, editor

Nice pics of these historic buildings. Emporia is also the name of the largest mall in my city, so that's what comes to my mind when hearing the name.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos