HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 6:48 PM
Denver

Above Beautiful Boulder Colorado

It was a lovely day yesterday, so I climbed to the top of one of the mountains in Boulder Mountain Park, and took a couple of photos of Boulder.

Boulder is generally considered Colorado's second city for urbanism. It is in a beautiful location at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. In many ways, Boulder is actually more walkable and urban than Denver. The bus service is amazing, our bike infrastructure blows Denver out of the water, and almost everything is walkable. Unlike Denver, it is also very easy to live in Boulder without a car. (We have grocery stores within walking distance of our downtown residential areas, and most places of employment are within walking distance, or a short bus ride away)

Anyhow...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:30 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
In many ways, Boulder is actually more walkable and urban than Denver.
Walkable maybe. But not more urban, not in any way. And it's more walkable because it's a college town. Boulder isn't a real place with the problems and disagreements that real places face, so that's easy. Wealthy, stagnant, and everybody thinks the same. That makes everything easy. Also, boring.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:05 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Nice picture. Pity that there isn't anything under construction in it.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:22 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Amazing how walkable a city can be when you price everyone out.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 11:28 PM

Great pictures! I do have to take issue with the phrase "almost everything is walkable" though. I was born and raised in the neighborhood southwest of Table Mesa and Broadway, near Fairview High School if anybody is familiar with the area. This part of Boulder is most certainly not "walkable." The local, strip-mall style King Soopers and associated retail was about 20-30 minutes on foot from my house; and that's just the edge of the neighborhood. In fact, if you remove the tunnel vision outside of pre-war Boulder (Downtown, CU, The Hill, and the area around the hospital), the vast majority of town is actually a bit of a suburban nightmare.

And yeah... the bus system is better than 90% of America, but ironically growing up in Boulder taught me to dislike buses rather than to love them. From South Boulder it can take you 30-45 minutes to get to Pearl st. on the bus when you factor in walking time and waiting time. The same trip in the car is about 10 mins. My family NEVER took the bus, and the only time I ever really rode it was as an adolescent. When I turned 16, I cashed in my eco-pass for a driver's license and never looked back; and it certainly wasn't because my hometown was so "walkable."

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 12:52 AM

This thread is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the show that I'm watching right now about DIA having an underground chamber with extra-high urinals for aliens.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:05 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Amazing how walkable a city can be when you price everyone out.
I disagree.

I live in a very nice 3 bedroom house in the Goss Grove neighborhood with 2 roommates. We pay 525 a month per person, plus utilities. Our house is just 4 blocks from downtown Boulder Pearl Street / Walnut area, and the grocery store is even closer.

People on this forum always talk about how Boulder has priced everyone out... I challenge you to find a 3 bedroom unit anywhere near central Denver that is walking distance to downtown with similar amenities to the place I currently live in in Boulder.

Fact of the matter is that central Denver is already WAY more expensive to live in than central Boulder. Denver has already become Boulder, only worse. Open your eyes. Denver has already out Bouldered Boulder

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:07 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Nice picture. Pity that there isn't anything under construction in it.
There is a very nice 4 story apartment building currently going up near 29th street mall. Which means that Boulder is building more dense than one of the projects in Union Station (the affordable housing project)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:11 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

You can live affordably almost anywhere if you want two roommates. But adults generally don't want that.

Also, what would that three-bedroom house cost if you wanted to buy it? I guarantee the mortgage would be more than $1500. Probably closer to $3500. Buying, another thing adults like to do.

If your argument is that Boulder is affordable, you have lost all credibility.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:13 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
There is a very nice 4 story apartment building currently going up near 29th street mall. Which means that Boulder is building more dense than one of the projects in Union Station (the affordable housing project)
Wait guys, did Eeyore move to Boulder? Boulder's biggest project is denser than Denver's smallest project, therefore Boulder wins? Three words for you: Pueblo Springs Ranch.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:18 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
If your argument is that Boulder is affordable, you have lost all credibility.
No my argument is that it is more affordable to live in almost any walkable area of central Boulder than it is to live anywhere in central Denver.

And this is true, is it not?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:20 AM
Denver

Quote:
Wait guys, did Eeyore move to Boulder? Boulder's biggest project is denser than Denver's smallest project, therefore Boulder wins? Three words for you: Pueblo Springs Ranch.
No but what I am pointing out is that Boulder is building denser than Denver is building next to one of the largest transportation projects in recent American history.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:26 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:54 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
No my argument is that it is more affordable to live in almost any walkable area of central Boulder than it is to live anywhere in central Denver.

And this is true, is it not?
No, it is not true. You could easily rent a 3br in a garbage old house with two roommates. Just that most of us graduated college and moved on to adult life, and don't desire to live like we did when we were 20 anymore. When we complain about affordability we're comparing apples to your plums.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:57 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
No but what I am pointing out is that Boulder is building denser than Denver is building next to one of the largest transportation projects in recent American history.
This is a ridiculous statement, it's a remnant site being used for affordable housing, which can't be built large and still be that affordable. It's a completely arbitrary boundary - if you took even the whole block it would be a density Boulder doesn't do. See seven's denverurbanism link.

Typical, however, that a Boulderite would lash out at the affordable housing project. You all spit on poor people as a matter of course.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:20 AM
Denver

Quote:
No, it is not true. You could easily rent a 3br in a garbage old house with two roommates. Just that most of us graduated college and moved on to adult life, and don't desire to live like we did when we were 20 anymore. When we complain about affordability we're comparing apples to your plums.
The place I live in currently is far for garbage. wood floors, new appliances, etc

But, I'll play here. Can you provide me a link to a 3 bedroom house within walking distance of central denver for 1500 a month?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:52 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
The place I live in currently is far for garbage. wood floors, new appliances, etc

But, I'll play here. Can you provide me a link to a 3 bedroom house within walking distance of central denver for 1500 a month?
::Checks Zillow for your exact criteria, but in Boulder. Notices zero results in Boulder, period. Repeats on Craigslist. Same result. Repeats on sites like Forrent.com and Housinghelper.com. Same result.::

So you hold Denver to a standard that Boulder cannot fulfill? Right then.

Last edited by seventwenty; Mar 14, 2014 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:21 PM

I can find a few in Central Denver under 1500, but why is the price of 3 bedrooms some mark of affordability?

Most of my childhood was spent living below the poverty line and in my family a 3rd bedroom was considered a luxury not a necessity. It wasn't until college where multiple roommates meant more people sharing the rent that renting more than 2 bedrooms made more economic sense.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:49 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
::Checks Zillow for your exact criteria, but in Boulder. Notices zero results in Boulder, period. Repeats on Craigslist. Same result. Repeats on sites like Forrent.com and Housinghelper.com. Same result.::

So you hold Denver to a standard that Boulder cannot fulfill? Right then.
Methinks that there is a "my Daddy owns the building" factor at play in Boulder.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:38 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
It's so cute when Boulder thinks they are being progressive.

I assume you are talking about Depot Square at Boulder Junction and the 78-unit affordable apartment project U/C there. Lumping in the 140-room Hyatt that will be built there and assuming the parcel is approximately 3.28 acres, this gives the project a density of 64 units/acre. In comparison, the affordable apartment project at Union, 1975 18th Street, is 108 units on a parcel of 1.13 acres resulting is a density of 96 units/acre. Boulder's idea of density is 67% that of one of Denver's lowest density projects.

If you are referring to 3100 Pearl, which is 319-unit apartment project U/C to the south of Depot Square, that project is on 4.23 acres and has a density of 75 units/acre. Even City House comes in at 94 units/acres. 80% of the density of the least efficient project around Union Station density-wise.

Boulder's wouldn't know density if it the word was mushroom stamped on every resident's forehead.

Last edited by wong21fr; Mar 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West