HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Babylone Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 6:44 PM
digital b0y

Amazing tower. Montreal is truly on fire.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 7:29 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post

nice design, but come on! this thing is on the boulevard between mackay and guy - not along north miami beach. that enormous automobile egress is just ludicrously out of place, especially with a parking entrance off of mackay (and guy?!). argh, so frustrating, montreal. should be disallowed, but won't be. luckily it'll probably never be built.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 3:57 AM

Wow ... vraiment content de la qualité des projets dans la métropole ! Lâchez pas!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:26 AM

Je ne sais trop quoi penser de celui-là.

Corrigez-moi si je me trompe, mais il me semble qu'on est régulièrement nourri de projets de Panzini qui ne se réalisent jamais. Ils sont souvent très bien, très "sud", presque bord de mer, et peut-être un peu Floride ou Dubaï, en effet.

Dans le cas de celui-ci, je me demande si les jardins suspendus seraient plus qu'un gadget un peu artificiel. L'impression me vient notamment des mini-plans d'eau, trop petits pour produire un véritable effet. Tant qu'à y être, mieux vaut carrément une bonne vieille piscine avec un bon vieux patio pour profiter du soleil, qu'un semblant de jardin à taille réduite qui a l'air de l'idée de la nature plus que de la nature elle-même.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 1:40 PM
Give us a kiss

If I had a dime for every render with trees on top of buildings...
These rarely if ever materialize in real life. Growing trees on a building poses very significant challenges that few designers seem to take into account when putting out initial renders. Never mind growing entire mini forests on spread on several setbacks and nooks and crannies... It falls under the same category as semi-translucent people and kids on bikes populating many renders. Not gonna happen.

I'll be happy if we at least get a green roof though, a la Vancouver convention centre. It looks great and is more than enough trouble to maintain with just grass and small shrubbery.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:28 PM
Look at me!

I for one encourage trees on the roof. If Place Bonaventure did it successfully, I don't see why babylone can't. Let us have different designs, different interpretations of the skyscraper, because as of now, Montreal skyscrapers are mostly quite ordinary. Let's shake shit up a bit.

Of course, as uqam mentioned, this is a panzini design, which is unsettling. He may have a nice aesthetic notion than Karl Fischer, but at least's Fischer's designs enter the realm of reality most every time.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 3:39 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I for one encourage trees on the roof. If Place Bonaventure did it successfully, I don't see why babylone can't. Let us have different designs, different interpretations of the skyscraper, because as of now, Montreal skyscrapers are mostly quite ordinary. Let's shake shit up a bit.
Picture of place bonaventure showing all the trees that managed to grow there

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uqam+ View Post
Je ne sais trop quoi penser de celui-là.

Corrigez-moi si je me trompe, mais il me semble qu'on est régulièrement nourri de projets de Panzini qui ne se réalisent jamais. Ils sont souvent très bien, très "sud", presque bord de mer, et peut-être un peu Floride ou Dubaï, en effet.

Dans le cas de celui-ci, je me demande si les jardins suspendus seraient plus qu'un gadget un peu artificiel. L'impression me vient notamment des mini-plans d'eau, trop petits pour produire un véritable effet. Tant qu'à y être, mieux vaut carrément une bonne vieille piscine avec un bon vieux patio pour profiter du soleil, qu'un semblant de jardin à taille réduite qui a l'air de l'idée de la nature plus que de la nature elle-même.
Très sud en effet. Mais je doute fort que si le projet se réalise tel quel. Quant au nom du projet, je le trouve carrément ridicule.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
If I had a dime for every render with trees on top of buildings...
These rarely if ever materialize in real life. Growing trees on a building poses very significant challenges that few designers seem to take into account when putting out initial renders. Never mind growing entire mini forests on spread on several setbacks and nooks and crannies... It falls under the same category as semi-translucent people and kids on bikes populating many renders. Not gonna happen.

I'll be happy if we at least get a green roof though, a la Vancouver convention centre. It looks great and is more than enough trouble to maintain with just grass and small shrubbery.
I think it isn't a design issue, but cost issue...

So for a green roof, as you go from grass to trees; what changes is the depth of your soil and so the weight per square meter on your structure increases.

So really the complexity would be a structural problem - which wouldn't be too complex, you would just need to adjust your structure to support the extra load.

What would be the key factor would be $$. Since the weight is accumulative (that is to say if your green roof is on the 5th floor; the structure on floor 4th, 3rd and so forth would need to accumulate the additional weight) so all the columns size would increase on all floors.

So to speak, adding a green roof that can support tree is almost like adding an addition floor or two in terms of $$.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 7:30 PM
Give us a kiss

Of course, you are correct given that design complexity translates into $$$'s.

However trees pose additional concerns mostly due to wind - it's not just added depth and weight, you have to ensure the roof is not too exposed otherwise it stumps the growth of trees and at an extreme may topple them. Place Bonaventure mitigates this with setbacks and an overall moderate height, but the higher you go the more of an issue it becomes. In the case of these towers I think it would get very tricky to have full grown trees all the way up there. So yeah, it's doable - and I agree it would be very cool - but I just wouldn't bet on it. Especially given it's panzini, as was mentioned.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 7:47 PM

Yes, you are right – so your first assertion was accurate. I also realize there would be a more complex drainage system to design, and all the other things we probably don’t know about.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 8:54 PM

And let's not forget that Place Bonnaventure's roof garden is mostly made of spruce trees who can bear the cold and the wind.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 11:12 PM
Ciao tutti

I think this is the right place? My Pic:

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 11:20 PM
Look at me!

Yup, that's the spot. Fucking needs the babylone as soon as possible. What a terrible eye sore. And one that has been persisting for roughly 50 years. 50.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:03 AM
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Yup, that's the spot. Fucking needs the babylone as soon as possible. What a terrible eye sore. And one that has been persisting for roughly 50 years. 50.
Yes it does.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:34 AM

That part of town blows my mind everytime I go there. It's like we're in Detroit/Cleveland and that burger/chicken place on the YUL site is the cherry on the cake.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpuant View Post
That part of town blows my mind everytime I go there. It's like we're in Detroit/Cleveland and that burger/chicken place on the YUL site is the cherry on the cake.
It does looks like a cheap Hollywood set for a very bad white trash tv show. Who would even go there to eat ?!?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:50 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
It does looks like a cheap Hollywood set for a very bad white trash tv show. Who would even go there to eat ?!?
No idea, but they couldn't have read the reviews: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/67/14950...te-Ca-Montreal

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:54 AM

Lol... : ''Worse than cancer'', ''Horribly rude'', ''Worst Service Ever''. I thought it'd be more classy than that.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 1:57 AM
Look at me!

I like this one:

"This is a hot spot for after clubbing or bar-hopping and some of the best food you can find at that time. I went there once with my friends and all they said to the guy was "we want meat!" and he brought us out plentiful platters of delicious food. Another time I was hanging out with some friends along with Lil' Wayne's manager and Keri Hilson's body guard, we brought them here. It was their first poutine so they were a little thrown off but I have to say their burgers and poutine are excellent"

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Apr 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive