HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If we had more info and this was proven to be a real proposal, it's definitely worthy of its own thread
for sure!

but this feels a lot more like either an in-house design exercise or an older development plan that fizzled.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:02 PM

I'm in love with the orange fins on that beauty!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:04 PM

Gems II:

That path being connected will be nice. Looking forward to it all being hooked up in the next few years.

Renelle:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Why does nearly every project have to have a combination of a podium, park or plaza that fills out the entire space? Three skyscrapers could be built on that lot with the footprint of that podium. This is probably roughly Wolf Point's total area. Two more towers could have been built on the park space at One Bennett Park as well. The density Chicago is losing with this trend is unbelievable and the voids they create keep Chicago from ever feeling overwhelming.

Areas where there could have been a canyon offer sweeping views off into the distance. Here's a sad example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8918...7i16384!8i8192
I hear you...the problem is we have too many nimbys and alderman who bow to them from preventing that hyper density that we would want despite all these areas are considered downtown or extension of downtown Chicago. For some reason this fear of "manhattenzation" (which i hate to say because i think the Loop itself is similar to manhatten type density at times ) and height bothering people...just look at the example of that 60 story developement reilly knocked down basically right off michigan avenue..i never understand how opposition to tall building effects people vs a shorter squat one...they should put there energy and focus about quality of design regardless of size of building.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:15 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Office/hotel/residential/retail
Nearly 1.7M sf
63 stories
bKL
So many questions..

Who/what is MWXX? Is that the client? Is this a spec building design?

Is there a developer/client? What is the overall height? Any proposed delivery estimates yet?

This look oddly similar in terms of the strange, differently designed, overlapping masses that bkL designed for parcel 'O' at Lakeshore East. The overall massing at both the lower area along the highway, and the tallest portion perpendicular to that, just seems so broad and foreboding. It doesn't feel like a welcoming design; it's just a choppy, ham-fisted amalgam of parts that would seemingly work better alone than as the assemblage shown in the renders.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
not really, wolf point is nearly 40% larger:

wolf point - 3.2 acres

madison/des plaines/monroe block - 2.0 acres

i'd MUCH rather see this 700+' bKL tower on that block than another couple of 22 story Fifield west loop econo-boxes.
Either way the reality is you could build NEMA, Essex and OBP on that site. One building on a massive lot just like 130 N. Franklin and OBP or even 353 W. Grand is detrimental to density. I see every podium as a future building or two lost. The model of placing a low-rise podium at the intersections and the towers at mid-block or opposing corners is keeping Chicago from canyonizing. It creates too many voids that make the city feel much smaller scale than it is.

Like @Chicubs111 said hyper-density should be the goal.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
So many questions..

Who/what is MWXX? Is that the client? Is this a spec building design?

Is there a developer/client? What is the overall height? Any proposed delivery estimates yet?

This look oddly similar in terms of the strange, differently designed, overlapping masses that bkL designed for parcel 'O' at Lakeshore East. The overall massing at both the lower area along the highway, and the tallest portion perpendicular to that, just seems so broad and foreboding. It doesn't feel like a welcoming design; it's just a choppy, ham-fisted amalgam of parts that would seemingly work better alone than as the assemblage shown in the renders.
I'm thinking that MWXX is just placeholder letters to show where a name might go? Some google searches for anything that might have that acronym is pulling up zilch.

The tower looks kind of like some Stantec buildings too... I like the orange and love the density, but the stacked box look is getting near played levels of usage.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Why does nearly every project have to have a combination of a podium, park or plaza that fills out the entire space? Three skyscrapers could be built on that lot with the footprint of that podium. This is probably roughly Wolf Point's total area. Two more towers could have been built on the park space at One Bennett Park as well. The density Chicago is losing with this trend is unbelievable and the voids they create keep Chicago from ever feeling overwhelming.

Areas where there could have been a canyon offer sweeping views off into the distance. Here's a sad example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8918...7i16384!8i8192
It doesn't help that anything over 300 feet and over like 350 units requires getting through the Alderman. Including a park/plaza component makes it a hell of a lot easier to make that happen.

Also if I'm not mistaken doesn't FAR have a lot to do with podiums? By limiting the square footage on the lower floors you can use that square footage to build higher. Though that's not to say that there are still plenty of developers that have been able to negotiate extra FAR for their projects but still somehow manage to incorporate podiums into them as well (usually for amenity decks).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:19 AM
you know where I'll be

duplicate

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 12:19 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Of all the locations where that mix could work, the West Loop is one of the few. It's so close to Union Station and the Kennedy and the rest of the West Loop office boom. Being on the east side of the Kennedy, hardly any local residents will kick up much of a fuss about the height or density. Build it!

No. Nothing even to do with demand mix based on location. From a building program standpoint, the market here has shown a marked preference for office to be stand-alone. Likely to not change in near future.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:51 AM

Union West

Feb 6

Feb 15

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:11 AM

Damn union west is flying fast.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Gems II:
Great update (and all around!) I wish they hadn’t used white in the facade. its jarring. Great pic btw

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:45 PM

Although I agree that most podium designs look lazy, I disagree that every block needs to be wall to wall density. From the street level its nice to be able to see views of the city through the small gaps caused by plazas, parks and even ugly podiums. A good skyline needs to breath a little or else you cant see anything. A majority of the skyline in places like Manhattan and Chinese cities cant really be enjoyed unless you're outside looking at it from a distance or from up above. But from ground level you cant see anything but the but the 3 maybe 4 buildings right next to you. Too much density Isn't always that great looking.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Great update (and all around!) I wish they hadn’t used white in the facade. its jarring. Great pic btw
White? The lightest color is powder blue...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
for sure!

but this feels a lot more like either an in-house design exercise or an older development plan that fizzled.
Yeah but spyguy rarely posts stuff that's "vision" status. I believe he is in some sort of planning department with the city... Almost every else he posts seems to be in the early stages of permitting or zoning approval.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
for sure!

That's right, Steely... exactly this unfortunately...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah but spyguy rarely posts stuff that's "vision" status. I believe he is in some sort of planning department with the city... Almost every else he posts seems to be in the early stages of permitting or zoning approval.
well, when you follow the link to the bKL website, it says the project was designed between 2014-2018.

the fact that it's now showing up on their website, instead of via a developer press release, leads me to believe that it was a development that died on the vine and bKL can now use the imagery they created for their own marketing purposes.

i could certainly be wrong (and that would be great!), but that's just my read of the situation given the limited info on hand.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:39 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Also, I think Pilsenarch is confirming that it is not a live design....

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
There is no white on the facade. Might just be my camera making it look that way, but it is a light blue

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations