HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Bowery in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:03 PM

Still doesn't work for me... And I've tried the link, typing the website myself and trying to access it through google search.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:59 PM

Can this be right? The building has been done for more than a year and they are only 37% sold???

Source:http://www.mattrichling.com/blog/the...y-sales-update
Quote:
February 17, 2018
The Bowery - Sales Update
Building Update

The Bowery Condos and lofts, built by Richcraft Homes and located at 255 Bay Street, has sold 90 of the 246 suites (248 if you include the two guest suites), or about 37%. There are six of the floorplans that are fully sold out and numerous floor plans that are only available on lower floors. Pricing starts at $200,000 for the S2 model which is 401sqft, and only available on the 1st and 2nd floor. The largest unit that is currently available is the T3 model which is a two bedroom, 919sqft, located on the second floor for $418,000. All units include 4 European stainless steel appliances, washer and dryer in-unit, quartz counters, and hardwood flooring throughout the unit - all standard.

The building is now complete and the units are available with an (almost) immediate closing period. Parking is available at $30,000 and lockers at $3,000. Monthly condo fees are priced at $0.36sqft and include heat, water, central air, etc.

For updated floorplans and price lists, fill out the form below.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:43 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Can this be right? The building has been done for more than a year and they are only 37% sold???
It's just reminding us how much upfront capital, thick skin, and persistence you need to finish a high-rise condo development in Ottawa these days.
It's really a shame, and isn't a good sign for Ottawa for the next decade or two.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:07 PM

Prices are just so high to make sense of purchasing these units...

$300,000 for a 500sq ft 1 bedroom?
$400,000 for a 700sq ft 2 bedroom?

This doesn't include $30,000 parking spot!

I mean, I'd love to live downtown but when I can get a 2 or 3 bedroom new-build 1,500sq ft townhome with all of premium finishes for $250-300K anywhere else (Orleans, Barrhaven, Kanata, Riverside South), why bother?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:14 PM

When we were looking for our condo in the DT core, the prices at Bowery were significantly higher than elsewhere. Trust me, the condo market in DT ottawa is hot. Very hot. Hotter than its been in years. The fact that this condo is not selling is more a testament to its pricing than to anything else.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Prices are just so high to make sense of purchasing these units...

$300,000 for a 500sq ft 1 bedroom?
$400,000 for a 700sq ft 2 bedroom?

This doesn't include $30,000 parking spot!

I mean, I'd love to live downtown but when I can get a 2 or 3 bedroom new-build 1,500sq ft townhome with all of premium finishes for $250-300K anywhere else (Orleans, Barrhaven, Kanata, Riverside South), why bother?
Where are you getting these townhomes? You’re waaaaaaayyyu undervaluing the prices of those homes in those areas.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:30 AM

I used to live nearby so followed it pretty closely (at one point called bylaw regarding the lack of upkeep on their vacant lot). I am surprised it got finished (and wonder if the builder regrets it) given the decade long gong show.

They probably had the dumbest marketing strategy I have seen for a downtown condo. They put a lot of emphasis on how cool and hip downtown living was, put their sales centre on Bank street downtown and set up potential clients for disappointment with a location in a pretty dismal part of centretown, far from the sales centre and about as far as you can get from any of the cool/hip elements of centretown.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:43 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Ottawa will remain a third-rate world City from an international perspective as long as this is the prevailing sentiment. People who buy houses and spend the majority of their consumer dollars outside the greenbelt do nothing to improve Ottawa's present or future.

No one wants to come visit Ottawa for its endless suburban sprawl.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:23 PM
Kickass User

No, that information was incorrect. I had been given the information backward (which I should have easily caught). The building has 159 sold out of the 246 suites (250 if you include the two guest suites, sales office, and the superintendents unit) or about 64% sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post

Source:http://www.mattrichling.com/blog/the...y-sales-update

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Ottawa will remain a third-rate world City from an international perspective as long as this is the prevailing sentiment. People who buy houses and spend the majority of their consumer dollars outside the greenbelt do nothing to improve Ottawa's present or future.

No one wants to come visit Ottawa for its endless suburban sprawl.
Well, I definitely don't buy a house to appease the visitors.

And yes, I'd rather be downtown sipping latte's, riding my unicycle to the new central library with Jeff Leiper and all the other hipsters, but its just not a reality for me right now.

Well intentioned sarcasm aside...

When you have 2 kids with ski equipment, bikes, hockey gear etc... the practicality of suburban living with homes that have more storage and overall space is a motivating factor.

My sister lives in the city, a trendy neighbourhood that everyone wants to be in. We each have a family of 4. She has a small single home, very old, always needing some repair. I live in the burbs, larger single home, everything new and working. The difference could not be more noticeable. They have no garage, no yard, and no storage space so the inside of the house is always a disaster, messy as can be because there is just too much stuff. Their kids can't play on the street because a car comes by every 5 seconds.

That being said, I rant endlessy about leitrim road, so everyone's gotta weigh their options but I would definitely pick the burbs for a family with active kids.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRichling View Post
No, that information was incorrect. I had been given the information backward (which I should have easily caught). The building has 159 sold out of the 246 suites (250 if you include the two guest suites, sales office, and the superintendents unit) or about 64% sold out.
That is more re-assuring. This project wasn't bad, needed bigger units, but altogether a good product. Thanks for the correction!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
Where are you getting these townhomes? You’re waaaaaaayyyu undervaluing the prices of those homes in those areas.
Orleans
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sa...ationFlag=true

Kanata

Barrhaven

All relatively good sizes, nice finishes, and all under $300,000. Compared to $330,000 for a tiny 500sq ft 1 bed with 1 parking spot @ "The Bowery"

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 5:55 PM

I live in Gotham next door and have friends who live in this building. What puzzles me more about this build is the lack of a concierge. They built a giant and beautiful lobby with a nice front desk (although the taste level veers a little ostentatious with two statues of a black panther or something like that in the sitting area)...and no actual concierge that works there. That's just...puzzling. My building, by contrast, has a very small scale with no amenities except a party room but at least we have a concierge.

I watched this project go up a little enviously (after I had bought into Gotham as this project seemed like crap at the beginning when it was called The Edge) with Richcraft seemingly on top of their game in contrast to Lamb (ugh), but now that I've been inside, to be honest, despite their nicer hallways, I'm happier with my space.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post
I live in Gotham next door and have friends who live in this building. What puzzles me more about this build is the lack of a concierge. They built a giant and beautiful lobby with a nice front desk (although the taste level veers a little ostentatious with two statues of a black panther or something like that in the sitting area)...and no actual concierge that works there. That's just...puzzling. My building, by contrast, has a very small scale with no amenities except a party room but at least we have a concierge.

I watched this project go up a little enviously (after I had bought into Gotham as this project seemed like crap at the beginning when it was called The Edge) with Richcraft seemingly on top of their game in contrast to Lamb (ugh), but now that I've been inside, to be honest, despite their nicer hallways, I'm happier with my space.
As someone who has lived in a building with and without a concierge, I completely understand Richcraft's decision (although it is a little strange with the big desk and all). Concierge's are an expensive and mostly vanity driven amenity. A proper security system and a Canada Post parcel box achieve 95% of the benefit of a concierge for a fraction of the cost.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post

Just wait until your first reserve fund study review at the AGM to review the proposed increase in condo fees. Buh bye concierge.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 2:51 PM

t

Last edited by Sauvanto; Oct 20, 2021 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauvanto View Post
Wuuut, first off your links don't work. 2nd off, houses on Kijiji seriously? I don't consider this legit unless they're on Realtor.ca. And 3rd, this is just wrong, not even condos are selling for this price anymore, it's just physically impossible for Ottawa to have a real townhome in those neighbourhoods for those prices, keep in mind the listed price is also nowhere near the actual sales price, a townhouse there starts at AT LEAST 450k, all the way to 700k for a new build.
This was a post from over 3 years ago...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:17 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Can mods mark this building as completed? unless there's something I don't know

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa