HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanYWG View Post
Are we talking about people trying to pass off a bag larger than the carry on size limit? I absolutely hate when people have these huge ass bags they try for 5 minutes to cram them in the overhead bins until finally a flight attendant tells them the bag needs to go below. It slows down the whole boarding process. Passengers have multiple chances to check their bags.
No, ultra low cost carriers like how New Leaf operates allow only a "personal item" as a free carry on. This would normally be described as a purse or a laptop bag and meant to go under the seat on most airlines.

The larger roller carry-ons that normally go into the overhead bins are actually charged at a rate higher than checked bags on ultra low cost carriers. For Allegiant, at check-in they tag all carry-on bags, whether it is a personal item or a second carry on item. The tags, essentially a bright coloured wrist band you would see at socials, etc, allows gate staff to quickly spot unapproved carry ons in the boarding process.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Don't forget, NewLeaf is a leisure-oriented carrier... the fact that you can't do short one/two day trips on most if not all of their routes will on its own eliminate the possibility of much business travel. So that takes out most of the carryon-only crowd right there. On the other hand, leisure travellers tend to check bags and will pay regardless of airline.

But hey, if it's a problem for you, you can get the NewLeaf price on WestJet and bring your carryon along for nothing.
Hey... no skin off my nose... yeesh

It's just that it's an "unusual" new rule... I'm sure there will be more than one passenger turning up at the gate and be surprised to learn they must pay $90 to bring the bag on board... the info is quite buried on the website.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:56 PM

Send your bags ahead of time on Greyhound or something?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post

It's just that it's an "unusual" new rule... I'm sure there will be more than one passenger turning up at the gate and be surprised to learn they must pay $90 to bring the bag on board... the info is quite buried on the website.
It is not really "unusual" it is actually something Allegiant has run for years and is common place in the ultra low cost carrier segment that New Leaf is targeting.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post

I'm not saying I like it, but that's the way ULCCs operate... plenty of fees and they can add up in a hurry. It's up to the traveller to figure it out so they can minimize the amount they're on the hook for.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:17 PM
the first stamp is free

IMO - air carriers should be charging more for carry-ons versus checked baggage. Or even allow the first checked bag free and everything bigger than a small backpack/hand bag cost money as a carry-on. Would make loading and unloading planes faster at the gate and also make security go faster.

As it is now, because checked bags have a cost, everyone tries to cram everything into a carry-on, plus the small backpack.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:25 PM

Checked bags can weight double a large carry-on. Over 100+ seats that can be a lot of extra weight. Running a commercial airline weight = expense. So even though the large carry-ons are a huge pain to everyone it would actually cost more to allow a first checked back free.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:27 PM

AC has signed on with three suppliers to set up maintenance centres at YWG starting in 2017:

http://www.cjob.com/2016/07/21/152968/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Checked bags can weight double a large carry-on. Over 100+ seats that can be a lot of extra weight. Running a commercial airline weight = expense. So even though the large carry-ons are a huge pain to everyone it would actually cost more to allow a first checked back free.
I think it would end up a wash, weight wise.

Before airlines charged for checked bags, people spread the load between the checked and unchecked baggage.

Now, people don't necessarily carry more or less - but try to cram it into a carry-on size bag and extra backpack etc.

You would still be limited by the weight allowance per piece of luggage.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
AC has signed on with three suppliers to set up maintenance centres at YWG starting in 2017:

http://www.cjob.com/2016/07/21/152968/
Excellent news indeed.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:55 PM
Heart of the Continent

As usual, not much for Winnipeg from Today's Westjet changes. All I can see is an increase to 5 flights weekly for Winnipeg-Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Well I'll be, New Leaf actually took off today flying the YHM-YWG flight.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:02 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Well I'll be, New Leaf actually took off today flying the YHM-YWG flight.

And should take off any minute (late) to Kelowna.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
As usual, not much for Winnipeg from Today's Westjet changes. All I can see is an increase to 5 flights weekly for Winnipeg-Phoenix.
It's truly sad how little regard our national airlines have for us. If New Leaf can manage to grow roots and offer international flights, being a hub city for them this might be our opportunity to develope some new and desireable non-stop destinations for Winnipeggers.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 8:04 PM

I am still somewhat shocked New Leaf managed to get operational. Only took three announced start dates...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 9:33 PM
Heart of the Continent

BTW, the Brandon - Toronto flights are permanent. So much for poor performance.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 7:44 PM
ILYR

Well second quarter passenger number are in and the numbers are up again from last year!

http://www.waa.ca/waa
http://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/J...Statistics.pdf

For the last quarter the numbers are up by 3.7% and for the first 6 months 3.3%.

Puts WAA on pace to increase from 3778035 to 3901524. Should hit the 4 million mark next year!!!

For international travel in May and June (1,692 and 1,966) is up significantly from other years, which is usually zero during those months (different from transborder, which is to the US). Probably reflects WestJets new Winnipeg - Gatwick direct flights.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Well second quarter passenger number are in and the numbers are up again from last year!

http://www.waa.ca/waa
http://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/J...Statistics.pdf

For the last quarter the numbers are up by 3.7% and for the first 6 months 3.3%.

Puts WAA on pace to increase from 3778035 to 3901524. Should hit the 4 million mark next year!!!

For international travel in May and June (1,692 and 1,966) is up significantly from other years, which is usually zero during those months (different from transborder, which is to the US). Probably reflects WestJets new Winnipeg - Gatwick direct flights.
Interesting given that many thought that the World Cup last year would cause a one-time upward bump in June of 2015. Looks like we're about 16 000 ahead of that!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 10:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder how much of the increase is buisnes travelers?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:38 AM

Sounds like the New Leaf start-up has been pretty successful so far if the numbers I was told today were correct (lots of gossip around the airport so I don't want to post actual numbers unless I hear them first hand). Westjets first flight to YLW in response was today. The passenger counts on the YHZ flights continue to be strong. It defiantly feels like things have picked up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan