HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 5:42 PM

[QUOTE=Jonovision;3789929]They might go for changing HRM by Design if it comes to that. The rest of the block is set with a 100' height while this part has the 70'. QUOTE]

They won’t change that cause it would compromise HRM by design.

there are many sites throughout HRM by design where there is an existing building higher then developable sites.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 7:07 PM

Yes, I'm aware of this. But the rest of the block, which sits mostly empty is set with a 100' height limit. So I've talked to the developer and if need be he will request his parcel of the block to be elevated to conform with the entire block.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 1:52 AM

since this hasn't been in the news lately I decided to email Mr. Bones about the Vic to see whats up. This is what I got back from him. I have emailed Mr. Harvey and I'm hoping for a responce soon.

My understanding is that the development agreement is being negotiated and it will eventually make it to Council for a decision. You should contact Richard Harvey at harveyri@halifax.ca for more information. Andrew Andrew BoneSenior Planner - Central RegionHRM Community Development Phone - (902) 869-4226 Fax - (902) 869-4230Email - bonea@halifax.ca

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:27 AM

I live literary right at Hollis and Morris...so when this thing actually starts to happen I'll be the go to guy for updates and pics...I've got to say though I'm a bit disappointed with the renderings... I had talked to the developer, shortly before he completed the the W suites, and I was under the impression this would be a landmark development (for it's size) and in my opinion it's not...in fact I like the W suites better...I'm still enthusiastic for it to go ahead though...I guess it's ALWRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Funny how we have heard relatively little about either this development or the Roy Building. I wonder if the developers would move forward on those if approved or if they just wanted to get in before HRM by Design?

I agree that this one does not look like a landmark but as I've said before, do we really need midrise residential buildings to be landmarks? I think they should be as high quality as possible (proper scale and massing, nice materials, good design) but there are hundreds of buildings like this around the city and dozens are being built.

The best candidates for "landmarks" are major commercial or institutional projects.. the problem is that we haven't had any good ones lately.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:03 AM

I never really like the renderings of the Roy Building so I won't miss it if its gone but this one I am excited for.

As for the landmark thing the most landmark thing about it might be the cool patios and the lighting on the roof.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I am not a fan of the Roy Building proposal either, as it is now, but some kind of restoration or redevelopment is needed.

Right now the Roy Building and Keith Building are mostly empty, the NFB building is still a burned out shell, there's a parking lot from 1991 a couple blocks down, etc. Barrington is pretty much a disaster.. the vacancies and derelict buildings look like something from a dying Midwestern town and it's all unnecessary.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 10:53 PM

I received a responce from Mr. Harvey today. Naturally he linked me to a website I already knew (the info page for the development on HRM) and not much else. All he said was he expects a staff report and a development agreement to come foward in the next few months.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 12:35 PM

This project was approved last night, according to the herald:

Four projects approved
HRM council gives go-ahead to developments at Morris Street, City Centre Atlantic, Roy Building and Discovery Centre
By JEFFREY SIMPSON and DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporters
Wed. Apr 1 - 5:36 AM
Four downtown Halifax developments have been given approval while council continues to ponder the HRM by Design strategy.

Councillors agreed Tuesday evening with a staff recommendation to grandfather four projects that follow the rules of the city’s existing Municipal Planning Strategy.

Louis Lawen of Dexel Developments Ltd. spoke during the afternoon sitting of committee of the whole about wanting to proceed with two downtown projects — an $18-million addition to City Centre Atlantic over Pete’s Frootique on Dresden Row, and a $16-million, 10-storey commercial-residential structure on the site of the old Victoria Suites apartment building at Morris and Hollis streets.

Reducing the height of his buildings would make them less economically viable, he said.

"None of these projects are affecting any view planes," he said.

Council agreed that all four projects must be completed within three years after they are started.

"Our intention is to go full speed ahead," Louis Resnick, who is working on the Roy Building on Barrington Street, told committee of the whole.

Frank Medjuck defended his $30-million development of the Discovery Centre on Barrington Street, pointing out that council was letting the downtown stagnate while the Bayers Lake shopping area on the outskirts of the city is sprawling out of control.

Councillors also agreed that HRM by Design should include the site of the proposed new World Trade and Convention Centre, a couple of city blocks including the former Halifax Herald Ltd. property and the Midtown Tavern site.

The first reading of HRM by Design will take place during next Tuesday’s regular council meeting.

Council also agreed in principle that two heritage conservation districts — Barrington Street South and Historic Properties and Granville Mall — become part of HRM by Design.

Council has scheduled three days, May 5-7, for public hearings on HRM by Design.

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

( djeffrey@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 12:40 PM

The herald is wrong, the project was approved to be grandfathered. It still needs to go through the current process to be approved.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 7:07 PM

This proposal is on the move again

It went before the Peninsula Planning AC on Monday. I don't know what the final outcome was but heres the information document;

6.1 Case 01162 - Development Agreement, Hollis & Morris Streets {Richard Harvey} (5.25MB)

According to the elevation map this will be 45m tall.

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
This proposal is on the move again

It went before the Peninsula Planning AC on Monday. I don't know what the final outcome was but heres the information document;

6.1 Case 01162 - Development Agreement, Hollis & Morris Streets {Richard Harvey} (5.25MB)

According to the elevation map this will be 45m tall.
45m? That's really tall for 10 floors (even if they were commercial, and i think this is residential)

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
45m? That's really tall for 10 floors (even if they were commercial, and i think this is residential)
Opps you were correct its not 45m.

They measured from sea level so the ground level is at 45 feet elevation.

Its 32m.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:21 PM

Wow, I really like this. And I do hope that the colours in the rendering were the intended colours for the actual development. Red brick would do alright too, but this is so much more interesting! Fits perfectly within the area. I'm around there quite a bit as a close friend of mine lives just up on Tobin, and IMO this is exactly what the area needs. And that roof feature seems to be one that's popular for renderings . I do like it though.. I definitely support this one!

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 3:51 PM

I've worked on this corner for two years now and I must say that I don't find anything terribly appealing about the building that's currently standing there. I'm sure if it was in good repair it would nice, but as it stands, meh. The odd thing is that I know some people that live in the building that are going to be sad to see it go, despite their constant complaints about the hot water not working, the power going out, it being a firetrap, the uneven floors, etc... In any case, if this new development gets off the ground it will fit in nicely with the new NSP headquarters.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggard View Post
I've worked on this corner for two years now and I must say that I don't find anything terribly appealing about the building that's currently standing there. I'm sure if it was in good repair it would nice, but as it stands, meh. The odd thing is that I know some people that live in the building that are going to be sad to see it go, despite their constant complaints about the hot water not working, the power going out, it being a firetrap, the uneven floors, etc... In any case, if this new development gets off the ground it will fit in nicely with the new NSP headquarters.
work at wired monk?....if so tell Corry, hey!!

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggard View Post
I'm going to miss it a lot! I have a big apartment for just $775, a cast iron tub for my wife (she loves baths) and I can walk to work and come home at lunch. That's not easily replaceable, especially in this neighbourhood. Even though it's rough on the outside, my own apartment was redone in the more recent past and is quite nice. Not top end by any means, but surprisingly great given the exterior. The place has its quirks, but your source has greatly exaggerated them. My power has never ever gone out and the water is always hot except on Sunday when everyone runs the washers all day long. The building was even heated well in the winter, which is where I figured things would fail when I first moved in. I can't speak to it as a fire trap, but I will concede that my bathroom floor has a good slant to it

Anyway, it looks like my neighbours and I will be out soon. Paramount isn't continuing any leases beyond Sept 30 so I guess it's time to start the apartment hunt. A demolition permit was issued ages ago so I'll bet this one will be knocked down this Fall with new construction to start in 2010.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:26 PM

Haha, please forgive me for trash-talking your home, I was merely repeating what I was told. I must say that 775 is a great deal in that area. Up until this month I was paying 1150 right around the corner! Also, I asked Paramount several times when they thought they might tear the old girl down, and never got a solid response. I had no idea that it could be happening so soon!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 2:15 AM

So I checked the page for this on HRM's website and while there is no Council date set yet it was given the nod of approval by the District 12 Planning Advisory Committee and with an ammendment or two a nod of approval from the Heritage Committee.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 2:21 AM

personally I'd like to see a redesign on this one

I was expecting a lot more

ohhhh well

I guess it's OK

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth