HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 6:13 AM

There are 2 Apple stores literally across the street from each other in Glendale (at the Galleria and at Americana). It's not too far-fetched to think there could be 2 in downtown at some point.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I truly hope the 5th and olive project doesnt get built. Its such a monumental waste that id be willing to wait for the right project there. I hope Macfarlane comes to their senses and sells the damn thing to someone with vision and money
you have far more patience than I do, lasf, since I can't stand the thought of that huge gap at 5th & olive remaining a gap for even one yr longer. It's already been a parking lot going on for something like 30 yrs....ever since the old philharmonic auditorium bldg that once stood along 5th st was torn down in the 1980s.

While the new devlpt planned for that site is a far cry from that of the parkfifth proj, the midrise part of it along 5th st seems decent enough. The short wood framed part of it will be so wedged in between...& sort of concealed by.... the old subway terminal bldg to the north & the title guarantee bldg to the south, that I don't think most ppl will be disappointed by it, even more so when they won't have to look at a hideous parking lot.

I'm also concerned that if the 5th & olive proj doesn't manage to get into the construction queue by sometime this yr, it will get caught up in the moment when all the competing apt projs now underway have opened. At that time there very well could be lots of talk of dt being overbuilt....at least for awhile. That will put a big chill on investors. There's also growing talk of a major recession, similar to what happened in 2008 & 2009, striking in the next 2 yrs.

so if 5th & olive misses out on the current go round, it very well might be sitting vacant for another 30 yrs.

guests on the north side of the biltmore hotel now have this lovely view of the site that is being discussed....

tripadvisor.com

I don't know if any major city in the world that has a version of a public square like Pershing on one side & a classic old time hotel like the biltmore on the other has also been stuck with a big gap like at 5th & olive for decades on end.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 11:41 AM
FlyyyFALiiFe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
I thought DTLA's daytime was twice that. 500,000
Downtown LA's daily population including residents swells to probably just over 600,000. Over 500,000 people commute into downtown Daily. On the other coast Manhattans daily population doubles, from 1.5 million residents to about 3 million people during the work day. Hunter both under and over inflated his numbers. That said, I've been following and reading this thread for many years every single day, and though I don't post often I can confidently say Apple will make its way into Downtown. And while I have to agree with Hunter that Apple usually controls their structures and often times they are ground up, I have a very close example here in Miami where they went against that and opened a store in an Art Deco building at the Lincoln Road Mall. So I am not sure an Apple Store in the Tower Theater really falls out of line with Apple.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
Downtown LA's daily population including residents swells to probably just over 600,000. Over 500,000 people commute into downtown Daily. On the other coast Manhattans daily population doubles, from 1.5 million residents to about 3 million people during the work day. Hunter both under and over inflated his numbers. That said, I've been following and reading this thread for many years every single day, and though I don't post often I can confidently say Apple will make its way into Downtown. And while I have to agree with Hunter that Apple usually controls their structures and often times they are ground up, I have a very close example here in Miami where they went against that and opened a store in an Art Deco building at the Lincoln Road Mall. So I am not sure an Apple Store in the Tower Theater really falls out of line with Apple.

Too funny! Downtowns 250,000 daytime is actually a generous estimation.

Just a simple google search turns this up (207,000)
http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhood...hood/downtown/

Manhattan 4,000,000
https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 1:05 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
There are 2 Apple stores literally across the street from each other in Glendale (at the Galleria and at Americana). It's not too far-fetched to think there could be 2 in downtown at some point.
Here in Chicago, they're building a new Apple store about a half mile down the road from another Apple store. On Michigan and the Chicago River which is almost a retail desert (if you can believe it).

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:27 PM

The real population should be somewhere around 55000 and should go up to over 75000 in the next couple of years.
That doesn't include commuter and tourists. Downtown had over 10 Million visitors last year, that's around 30000 a day.

The district is home to over 500000 jobs (2013 study, 2016 should be higher), so RuFFy is correct.

But it makes no sense (like you guys wrote before) to compare the population/commuter/stores of Downtown L.A. and Manhattan.
Manhattan has a bigger population per sq mi, but it's like comparing the size of a melon and an apple.

Areas:

Manhattan

Total: 33.6 sq mi (22.83 sq mi Land)

Downtown L.A.

Total: 4.41 sq mi

So please, let's communicate this logically. The practice of quoting out of context is leading to nothing.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; May 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
In all honesty, I'm really growing on 5-OH's design. Looking at the details of the newest rendering, the materials and pedestrian interaction look very nice. Sure, it's no Park 5th, but in terms of 22 story high rises, the proposal could have been a lot worse. Combined with the neighborhood transforming Pershing Square re-design, the area is going to look amazing. Maybe residing in New York has made me more open to proposals like this. The East Village, where I live, and much of downtown NY, is mainly low rise buildings, with few high rises scattered around. I think these areas are the most interest in lively of all of Manhattan. Downtown and Midtown, where most of the high rises are congregated, are places me and my friends actively avoid. Sure, high rises may look better from afar, and may excite some of us on this board, but they do not necessarily mean a more lively or engaging neighborhood. Hell, look at Metropolis. Huge, glassy, full of skyscrapers, and filled with curb cuts, drive ways, and imposing, grand-scale retail storefronts. I doubt the area around that project is going to transform in to a pedestrian wonderland. It'll look good in photographs, sure, but will it really contribute to the livability of DTLA?

Concerning the Apple store, there is no reason to call anyone out. Time will prove the rumors to be right or wrong. Any opinions on here have no bearing on the reality of the situation, so sit back, be happy that downtown is making such rapid progress, and see what ends up happening.
My problem is not with the 22 story building. I like that one a lot. My issue is with the 7 story box they are starting with. The 22 story doesn't even have s timeline yet

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
The real population should be somewhere around 55000 and should go up to over 75000 in the next couple of years.
That doesn't include commuter and tourists. Downtown had over 10 Million visitors last year, that's around 30000 a day.

The district is home to over 500000 jobs (2013 study, 2016 should be higher), so RuFFy is correct.

But it makes no sense (like you guys wrote before) to compare the population/commuter/stores of Downtown L.A. and Manhattan.
Manhattan has a bigger population per sq mi, but it's like comparing the size of a melon and an apple.

Areas:

Manhattan

Total: 33.6 sq mi (22.83 sq mi Land)

Downtown L.A.

Total: 4.41 sq mi

So please, let's communicate this logically. The practice of quoting out of context is leading to nothing.
It seems that Hunter is beyond determined to fill edLuva shoes.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
There's also growing talk of a major recession, similar to what happened in 2008 & 2009, striking in the next 2 yrs.

so if 5th & olive misses out on the current go round, it very well might be sitting vacant for another 30 years.
Fix it Jesus

Nothing with this makes sense. There is ZERO talk about another "Major Recession" that compares in any scale to the 07-10 recession. Not one respectable news organization and/or economist is saying this... since the 07-10 event was a major anomaly and in all fairness should have been called a depression.

Yes we might be heading towards a slow down, especially when looking at the consumer data that came out this week, but anybody with an economic background knows that the U.S.A in particular enters a recession every 8-10 years. Never really devastating since we normally bounce back after 6 months. So saying we will have another recession on the scale of the 07-10 event that lasted nearly 3 years is ridiculous since those types of events are rare and hard to predict and as I said before, are bizarre anomalies that required a LOT of different factors to happen.

........And why exactly would it take 30 years for any project to get off the ground after a recession ? LA is currently in a different state in its development life. MEANING. What occurred in LA between the 50s-2010 is no longer what's happening in LA now. LA is already 5-6 years deep into the next phase of its developmental life (densifying, transit oriented expansion, better urban planning) . If it takes 30 years for anything to get off the ground after a recession, than why are we looking at a Metropolis, Wilshire Grand, Fig Central, Circa, Glass Tower, and plenty others in surrounding cities all under construction at the same time ? less than 4 years after "the great recession" since according to you, we shouldn't be seeing any major construction until 2040.

Last edited by caligrad; May 13, 2016 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 6:11 PM

^agree. In more indirect news, Jerry Brown has stepped up to the plate and is pushing the legislature to tie state funding for affordable housing (which makes up a large part of a lot of cities' funds) to a streamlined local process for multi-family infill developments.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Fix it Jesus

Nothing with this makes sense.
Do we have some fortune-tellers here?

We don't know the future, but we know the present.

Downtown is beating nearly every district in the USA. Place 2 when it comes to new home construction, job creation and an increasing number of households.

Quote:
Downtown was beaten by No. 1 Gilbert, Arizona. The No. 3 boom town was Dallas, followed by Miami and Las Vegas; the latter appears to be making a comeback after being decimated by the home repo crisis.

"These neighborhoods are striking it rich when it comes to new home construction, job creation and an increasing number of households," Realtor.com states.

Of course, given the cost of housing in Los Angeles, you'll have to be rich to live downtown in the first place.
http://www.laweekly.com/news/downtow...-towns-6844510

So let's enjoy the ride.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 6:54 PM

^^^ Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me ? lol

In regards to Apple......

Before anyone hits me with the,"Apple only likes ground up stores, big open spaces and complete control over their properties" UUUUMMMMMM NO! I call BS!. You are giving them WAY too much credit. Most of the stores in the southern California area are either crammed into our malls, indoor and outdoor, where they have near ZERO control, or they are crammed in between OLD buildings, in old shopping districts... looking at you Pasadena and Santa Monica.

Saying "well apple wont dare be across the street from a check cashing place or jewelry store" uummm the one in the Manhattan Beach mall used to have its entrance blocked by a kiosk that not only cashed checks but also sold lottery tickets, scratchers and other liquor store type deals. The one in the Cerritos Mall is currently sitting across from a weird Toys R Us hole in the wall store and some other cheap brand stores around it not to mention ONE OF THE CHEAPEST QUALITY JEWLERY STORES IVE EVER SEEN IN A MALL. This location is constantly rated the lowest in So-Cal, but I heard was one of the most profitable. Again. You guys are giving them WAY too much credit.

Apple will go wherever they want. Nothing to do with an areas daytime population or density or what type of building it is. Its about wherever they can make the most money. Lets be honest. This is So-Cal. Everything here is a destination that requires most people to drive/bike/commute/uber and the use of other means to get there anyway. Lets be honest again, Downtown is probably Apples best bet to tap into East LA and South Central without actually setting up shops in either one, ironically both have access to rail that leads downtown.

Last edited by caligrad; May 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 7:30 PM
:o

The Apple Store at Victoria Gardens actually moved from one space to another one across the street... No ground up construction, no "complete control". Some of you overanalyze everything.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 8:36 PM

^^^ Thank you. And its not just here. This is happening everywhere.

So peoples notion that

"Apple doesn't like old buildings, Apple wants complete control of its buildings, Apple will only build from the ground up, Apple only wants big open spaces with natural light and lots of glass"

is BS!

They have no problem running to a mall and saying "yes sir" to whatever spot is available, best example being South Coast Plaza. That location is very cramped/small, can seem dark compared to other stores and routinely has a line of people trying to get in because of how small it is. The Glendale Galleria location, although one of the first, can also feel cramped and dim lit at times.

It doesn't matter where Apple put its store, it has enough lure that people will flock to it. Put it downtown and people will go just to avoid the other busier stores. The more people downtown, the better.

Last edited by caligrad; May 13, 2016 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 11:20 PM

We just spent the last two pages talking about the possibility of an Apple Store and arguing about the end of the cycle again. Hasn't something more interesting happened in the last few days? Other than Agence Ter winning the Pershing Square design? Which it shouldn't have but I won't dwell on that, it'll turn out fine I'm sure.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I'm not going to take sides here but I won't believe the Apple story until we get a statement from them themselves. Any deal can fall through no matter the circumstances.

I can say American Apparel is opening up at the State Theater, claim I have a reputable source and let the whole situation unfold..

Take the Apple news with a grain of salt because we've had these rumors since 2014 and we don't have official confirmation. Just rumors. If they come I will scream Thank you to the heavens. It would literally change the entire corridor. Retailer after retailer would take notice and immediately move to Broadway, but until the day we are absolutely certain, I won't cheer, not yet.
It’ll be transformative if the rumors are true. But it seems like a very weird space for an Apple store. It would be a really dramatic aesthetic departure for Apple.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:00 AM

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/u...e39fa48df.html

Looks like underground retail and officespace is coming to the subway terminal building.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:26 AM

Last edited by cesar90; May 14, 2016 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me ? lol
Why would I not agree with you? I got your point and I deeply appreciate your opinion.

@cesar90

Thank you for all your updates.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
But it seems like a very weird space for an Apple store. It would be a really dramatic aesthetic departure for Apple.
Not really. They've already varied it up for the sake of fitting a couple historic buildings.

Paris:

London:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations