HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:40 AM

Victory Park would be a pretty solid contender.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:00 AM

Hotel group taking swing at new project near Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys stadiums

Project Location

Quote:
Drury Development Corp., the Missouri-based hotel development group behind Drury-branded hotels, has acquired a 9.24-acre tract in north Arlington for a new full-service lodging.

The 268-room Drury Plaza Hotel will include an upscale restaurant, and will cater to Arlington's growing list of entertainment options, including the $4 billion Texas Live! mixed-use development surrounding the Texas Rangers' new $1.1 billion ballpark.

"Drury was drawn to the development opportunity in north Arlington due to the area's tremendous growth, many amenities and extensive entertainment options that regularly draw hotel guests from more than 100 miles away," Larry Jordan, a senior vice president at Transwestern's Dallas office, said in a prepared statement.
Quote:
The construction timeline for the new Drury Plaza Hotel was not immediately available on Tuesday.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:49 AM

Downtown Dallas' landmark Statler Hotel opens its doors after 3-year redo

Quote:
Almost two decades after the building closed, downtown Dallas' landmark Statler Hotel is back in business Tuesday with its first guests.

Developers spent three years and $230 million saving the Commerce Street building, which has been turned into a luxury Hilton Curio hotel, apartments and restaurants.

"We are proud to open the doors of the Statler, 60 years after Conrad Hilton brought it to downtown Dallas," said Evan Danziger, general manger of the 159-room hotel.

"We celebrate the beginning of a new era for the hotel. Everyone is proud to be a part of the project."

He said the hotel has been modernized with "just a hint of 1950s nostalgia."

"We have combined timeless midcentury design with the latest advances in technology and luxury," Danziger said.

One of Dallas' grandest midcentury buildings, the 19-story hotel that once entertained movie stars and presidents ...
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...s-first-guests

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:57 AM

Another vacant building in Downtown Dallas finds new life!

Quote:
Downtown Dallas has a new hotel property that's like two hotels in one. The dual-branded concept combines The AC Hotel by Marriott and Residence Inn Marriott and is located within the historic Mercantile Commerce building at 1712 Commerce St., which has been vacant for the last 25 years.
Quote:
With the opening, hotel management and construction company NewcrestImage celebrates not only the revival of this historic landmark but also the first AC Hotel in Texas.
Quote:
At 21 stories high and with 249 rooms, the new AC and Residence Inn dual-hotels share a bar, fitness facility, and indoor swimming pool. Otherwise, they have separate lobbies, lounge, dining areas, and state-of the-art business centers.
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/tr...otel-marriott/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:57 AM

I love the older buildings being converted to hotels and apartments downtown!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:35 PM
high five!

Bold skyscraper campus would energize downtown Dallas' south side
Quote:
Builder KDC has teamed up with landowner Hoque Global to plan the more than 20-acre skyscraper campus on the south side of downtown.

Located between Dallas City Hall and Interstate 30, the 8-block urban project would include office towers, retail and hotel space. It's one of the largest developments ever proposed for downtown.

Award winning international architect Pelli Clarke Pelli has designed the dramatic campus.

The centerpiece of the project is an office skyscraper that would be the tallest building in Dallas.

The first phase would include 600,000 to 1 million square feet of office space, an urban grocery store, a food hall, boutique hotel and greenspace.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...las-south-side

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:41 PM

Dallas Smart District

What an amazing development.
Fingers crossed we get this and this project wont be added to the Dallas Unbuilt list..

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:18 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

File under: Holy Shit, Batman!

Hopefully they refine the designs if built, especially of the tallest tower. But love the overall plan and hope they are able to build as much as possible.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:10 PM

Larger renderings:

DMN

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:30 AM

I love the design of the development, but that tallest tower can be soooo much more interesting. That looks like something that would go up in Houston.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:42 AM
World Traveler

That's a great plan, but I agree that the tallest should have some sort of signature design, not just a box. The others could be boxes with unique details, but the tallest truly needs something more than that.

Are the podiums for parking or are they something else? I can't access the article.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's a great plan, but I agree that the tallest should have some sort of signature design, not just a box. The others could be boxes with unique details, but the tallest truly needs something more than that.

Are the podiums for parking or are they something else? I can't access the article.
This is only speculative, Architect Pelli Clarke is better than this. I'm sure that if any of these towers get built they will be redesigned. This is more like a quick presentation concept.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:17 AM

Great! Hope it gets built. What happened to the Perot proposal that included a new tallest?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:54 AM

Here is some additional information and renderings, it also states that the first phase will start in late 2018.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...tml#g/422225/4

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 4:03 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
This is only speculative, Architect Pelli Clarke is better than this. I'm sure that if any of these towers get built they will be redesigned. This is more like a quick presentation concept.
Great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
Here is some additional information and renderings, it also states that the first phase will start in late 2018.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...tml#g/422225/4
Quote from the article:
Quote:
“It is rare for a first-tier American metropolitan area to have this amount of contiguous developable land and building rights, all located in the heart of the City adjacent from the City Hall and Convention Center," said Gregg Jones, principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects and lead architect for Dallas Smart District, in a statement.
Good point! I'm excited to see what the final design will look like.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
"It's a Legacy West type of project with the potential of 8 million square feet," said KDC chief executive Steve Van Amburgh. "We've been working on this for almost a year now.
Quote:
Dallas businessman Mike Hoque has spent the last 36 months buying up and optioning blocks of parking lots and old buildings in that area of the central business district. He hired the architects to come up with a land plan.
Looks like they've been planning this proposal for a while. Which makes it possible it will happen in one form or another regardless of Amazon. If they can at least get that park behind City Hall to happen it will be a success in my eyes. Imagine this getting built with that park and another deck park over 30 as well. That would bring the energy of Uptown/Arts District to the south CBD/Cedars.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:39 PM

Looks like this could be a real game changer. I will say though that there is so much land that could be developed between the Old West End and downtown, and that seems like a more logical location. That would join two active areas and create synergy, whereas this is off on an island to an extent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:24 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Looks like this could be a real game changer. I will say though that there is so much land that could be developed between the Old West End and downtown, and that seems like a more logical location. That would join two active areas and create synergy, whereas this is off on an island to an extent.
Yes, but it is right next to the CC and there is a big initiative by the city to "grow south"...if this happens, I could see it as a catalyst for a lot more just across I-30, which is relatively connected by a quasi-grid of bridges that might one day become another Klyde Warren Park on steroids (who knows?). It may seem like an island now, but if it happens, I'm willing to bet the area will see a lot more growth to complement it.

Edit: Another thought - if the HSR Station ever happens (which I hope it does), that would be another driver to this being a good location. This type of development plus an HSR Station connecting DFW and Houston would drive development in that area for years/decades to come.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Yes, but it is right next to the CC and there is a big initiative by the city to "grow south"
If the big initiative is to grow south in Dallas, I certainly did not see evidence of it in my recent visit. The opposite appeared to be true, in that the city's bulk of new builds were in uptown, which is growing north! If it were up to me, I'd solidify the core (Old West to Deep Ellum corridor) and then let southern development happen organically as land for development becomes more and more scarce.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Wow the tall one looks like it's perhaps 1,150-1,200 ft, I wonder if this could be the 2nd Amazon HQ?

Btw this is great for Dallas but I agree don't build a simple glass box-do something grand and signiture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations