HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

505 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Nashville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't it Tony G's hotel that was named as a Westin that is going in on the current Rock City Machine site in SoBro?

As for the apartment tower, I haven't heard a thing. Maybe he'll take these one at a time, in order from least to most difficult. haha
The Westin rumors are likely true and he is supposedly in talks with White Lodging to do a joint-venture.

The Rock City Machine building is the site of the Hyatt Place at 3rd & Molloy, the hotel site is at 4th & Molloy, just a half block away.

Nothing has been heard any further about The SoBro apartment tower or 505CST itself since proposed.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:12 PM

I dont understand why they dont just make it an additional 20ft+ talller and have it be the new #1 in Nashville!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 5:17 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Due to where 505 Church Street is located in downtown Nashville (higher elevation than the Bell South tower), it will look to be the tallest in the skyline. But I agree, I wish it was a little taller.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Beautiful tower. What are the chances it will be built? I'm sick of developers in any city with big plans (Nash Sig Tower,American Commerce Tower in Philly, etc) NOT getting built.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Beautiful tower. What are the chances it will be built? I'm sick of developers in any city with big plans (Nash Sig Tower,American Commerce Tower in Philly, etc) NOT getting built.
Well, this tower is being developed by Tony Giarratana, the same developer as the Signature Tower, but Siggy would have been built if the economy wouldn't have crashed. He had the funding. If he can find a major tenant to occupy 505 Church then it will be built. I think chances are better than 50/50 that this gets built.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 10:25 PM

Since the economy is getting better why doesn't he just bring back the Signature Tower from the dead?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:26 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Since the economy is getting better why doesn't he just bring back the Signature Tower from the dead?
He pretty much has, just not in the form of Signature...505 Church, The SoBro, and The Westin. Plus, Signature was a little "too much" for one development in the banks' eyes.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:22 AM

There is a good amount of buzz about Nashville from many corporations looking to potentially relocate here because of a relatively business-friendly atmosphere and ZERO state income tax. I give it what arkitekte said, 50/50 at this point as the economy bounces back.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:34 PM

They say this will look over 50 feet taller than the Bellsouth tower coming from the bridge by the LP Field because of elevation.Is that true

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
They say this will look over 50 feet taller than the Bellsouth tower coming from the bridge by the LP Field because of elevation.Is that true
Probably so. It'll sit atop the 2nd highest point downtown, the 5th and Church intersection, only the state capitol sits higher. AT&T Tower, Batman, has a base elevation a good 20ft lower, at minimum, than the 505 CST site. It's easy to compare to another building because Fifth Third Center is right across the street and is 490ft tall. So while it may not technically be the new tallest, it'll certainly appear to be so.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 5:13 PM

I obviously missed all the announcements about TG's proposals. I sure hope this one gets built. While I wish it was taller, it is moving in the right direction for Nashville. The design is fantastic and would certainly be iconic for the city. I hope if it is built that it will lead to even more inventive designs for the city. It propbably would look better in SoBro next to the new convention center.

As for the proposed apartment building, it's nice but not as intriguing as 505 CST. The hotel, nice design but will do nothing for the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:07 AM

anynews

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 10:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Tower could eventually be 750 ft...

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6796

505 Church Street
Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture design an eco-sensitive skyscraper in Nashville.

Chris Bentley

Quote:
Nashville developer Tony Giarratana doesn’t want just any building to take the place of a downtown parking lot his firm has owned for 20 years. On nearby sites he has built the city’s first high-rise apartments and condos, and its first “modern urban grocery store,” but 505 Church Street is a special case.

“This is the best site in the city,” said Giarratana, “so we feel that it needs to be something special.” The firm hired Chicago-based Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill to master plan and design a mixed-use tower that would be the city’s most energy efficient and also its tallest. Giarratana successfully petitioned the Federal Aviation Authority to grant the site extra airspace. Originally designed as a 605-foot tower, 505 Church could rise to 750 feet.

Currently, Giarritana is seeking an anchor tenant to take at least 500,000 square feet of the 1.2 million-plus-square-foot tower. The building will include a hotel and office space as well as eight levels of underground parking, according to preliminary designs. 505 Church Street’s southern profile is a thin, glassy rectangle, but from the east and west its profile is defined by fin-like curves. The unique enclosure features an internally ventilated cavity that stores solar heat during cold months and wicks it away when it is warm.

The design and development team is seeking a LEED Platinum rating for the building. It will employ such sustainable features as a double skin facade system, chilled water storage, solar panels, gray water recycling, and a variety of other integrated building systems in pursuit of the 2030 Challenge to achieve carbon-neutral architecture.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:01 PM

::rehtorical mode on:: This is a product of the architectural firm...is it not?...that's been anointed to grace us someday soon with renderigs of 225 West 57th Street? ::mode off::

Bearing in mind, therefore, what I understand is their apparent talent for culturally interpretive design, what precisely am I supposed to glean from what we see here before us?

I mean, how does what appears to me to be the love child of R2D2 and Monty Python's tennis-playing blancmange tie in to local history?
Think about it: From Cash, Haggard, Twitty, George Jones, Waylon & Willie, ad infinitum........we get......this?(!!???) Somehow, that just doesn't compute.

The lack of symmetry--or, for that matter, any concerted effort to pick a shape and run with it, even if on an abstract level--disturbs me more than anything else about this tower. Height? Anything 600'+ passes muster in my book. The facade's okay; and I'd have no issue with the curves...if, that is, the overall form didn't look so.....well.....split-brained. It's just more than a bit annoying to look at, if but for the reason that the more astute observer might blow a heart valve trying to figure out what exactly about Nashville this structure is paying homage to.

Last edited by JayPro; Aug 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM. Reason: Editing for detail

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:34 AM
Chairman

This is one of my favorite proposals on this forum.

I look forward to track the progress once construction commences.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 3:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like something that would be built in London.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This is the same guy that proposed Signature Tower on the same site. ST started off around 750 feet before the proposal went to over 1,000. He has also been proposing towers on that site since the 1990s (see below). Last I heard the Pinnacle and Symphony Place (last highrise built in Nashville at 417 feet) wasnt exactly filling up. All that being said I wouldnt get my hopes up for this tower.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 3:26 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Hopefully so. The property is one of the highest elevated in downtown other than Union and Deaderick at 7th. With the tower being 750' it's going to look a lot taller than it really is, especially compared to AT&T, which it would have already looked taller than at 605'.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Last I heard the Pinnacle and Symphony Place (last highrise built in Nashville at 417 feet) wasnt exactly filling up.
Last I heard was that it was about 90% leased. Is that what you consider not filling up?

Quote:
All that being said I wouldnt get my hopes up for this tower.
Can you explain why nobody should get their hopes up?

I know I can give you a few reasons why people should get their hopes up that this will be built...

Class A office space downtown is scarce right now. This article here certainly suggests that more office towers are needed, and needed soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-top-tier.html

That's encouraging no?

Nashville is booming right now! Especially as far as business goes. Nashville has been at the top of just about every city ranking there is out there that involves job growth. Not to mention Nashville is also at the top of city rankings when it comes to fastest growing cities, best city for business & careers, top aspirational cities, fastest growing state economies, cities attacting the most jobs ect, ect. The list goes on and on...

http://www.nashvillechamber.com/home...tRankings.aspx

That sounds promising doesn't it?

Is it out of the realm of possilbility to think that a large company won't relocate here, or a large local company won't want to expand and would look at this proposal as a possiblity?...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 6:51 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
::rehtorical mode on:: This is a product of the architectural firm...is it not?...that's been anointed to grace us someday soon with renderigs of 225 West 57th Street? ::mode off::

Bearing in mind, therefore, what I understand is their apparent talent for culturally interpretive design, what precisely am I supposed to glean from what we see here before us?

I mean, how does what appears to me to be the love child of R2D2 and Monty Python's tennis-playing blancmange tie in to local history?
Think about it: From Cash, Haggard, Twitty, George Jones, Waylon & Willie, ad infinitum........we get......this?(!!???) Somehow, that just doesn't compute.

The lack of symmetry--or, for that matter, any concerted effort to pick a shape and run with it, even if on an abstract level--disturbs me more than anything else about this tower. Height? Anything 600'+ passes muster in my book. The facade's okay; and I'd have no issue with the curves...if, that is, the overall form didn't look so.....well.....split-brained. It's just more than a bit annoying to look at, if but for the reason that the more astute observer might blow a heart valve trying to figure out what exactly about Nashville this structure is paying homage to.

I'm blowing a heart valve trying to figure out what you're even talking about. Since when did a skyscraper proposal need to visually reflect the history of the city, in some way? Why don't you elaborate on what you think a more 'Nashville appropriate' design would look like? In what way does a skyscraper 'pay homage to Johnny Cash?'

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive