HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 7:42 AM

If British Airways can get a fully loaded 777 out of SAN, anything is possible.

I lived in San Diego for 15 years, and I agree, the location of SAN sucks. It needs to be moved to Miramar ASAP.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 6:01 PM

Alaska Airlines starts ticket sales for new nonstops, Portland to Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/ind...ts_ticket.html

Travel on Alaska Airlines is available for booking today on new nonstop flights propsed from Portland International Airport to Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta in Mexico.

The flights are still pending approval by the Mexico civil aviation atuthorities, but approval is anticipated for the airline to begin seasonal service between Portland and Los Cabos on Nov. 3 through April 27, 2015, and between Portland and Puerto Vallarta on Nov. 4 through April 26, 2015.

The service had been announced in May.

Alaska Airlines is offering introductory fares of $176 one way from Portland to Los Cabos, and $186 one way from Portland to Puerto Vallarta, on tickets purchased by July 14, for travel from the service start date through Feb 10, 2015.

The flight to Los Cabos leaves Portland at 11:25 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. It returns those same days at 5:15 p.m.

The flight to Puerto Vallarta leaves Portland at 10:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday and returns those same days at 5:40 p.m. (Times adjust for daylight savings time.)

If those travel times don't meet your needs, other flights are available on Alaska Airlines with connections in California cities and Seattle.

Portland OR – Los Cabos
AS292 PDX1125 – 1620SJD 737 x257
AS293 SJD1715 – 2035PDX 737 x257

Portland OR – Puerto Vallarta
AS294 PDX1015 – 1640PVR 739 257
AS295 PVR1740 – 2035PDX 739 257

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
If British Airways can get a fully loaded 777 out of SAN, anything is possible.

I lived in San Diego for 15 years, and I agree, the location of SAN sucks. It needs to be moved to Miramar ASAP.
Unfortunately for them they closed that window almost 20 years ago. Miramar isn't available anymore. The only really viable option anytime soon is high speed rail. Or that floating airport concept that was kind of cool but not likely to happen.

Also connecting their light rail (Trolley) to the airport would be a good idea.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Excellent, that was fast.

Now if we can lure British Airways...
British Airways is actually in talks with PDX right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce service soon. Rumors are flying around various forums the past couple days that BA will announce PDX-LHR soon. We'll just have to wait and see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...gon-usa-6.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
British Airways is actually in talks with PDX right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce service soon. Rumors are flying around various forums the past couple days that BA will announce PDX-LHR soon. We'll just have to wait and see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...gon-usa-6.html

I actually saw this thread a few days ago. When people say "rumors are heating up", where are they getting these rumors from?! I want a source!

I just hope it comes to fruition. I'm planning a trip to Europe next year and I'd love to fly BA direct to Heathrow, assuming they'd start service in time. Otherwise I'd have to settle for Delta to Amsterdam.

Last edited by Derek; Jul 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:53 PM

The more I fly out of Portland International Airport, the more I like it. This would make it even better.

Quote:
Top Portland restaurants landing soon at Portland International Airport

The terminals at Portland International Airport may be filled with some of Portland's biggest restaurant names as early as January 2015. (Thomas Boyd/The Oregonian)

Samantha Bakall | sbakall@oregonian.com
on July 29, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Travelers passing through Portland International Airport will soon have the chance to eat at some of Oregon and Portland's biggest restaurant names, a list that could include Pok Pok, Bunk Sandwiches, Mo's Chowder and others, as early as January 2015.

Over the next three years, three-quarters of the vendor stalls past the security checkpoints at Portland International Airport will be finishing their leases, leaving between 30-40 available spots open for new vendors. Fifteen of those spaces will be available in 2015. The Port of Portland hopes to fill them with local businesses to give travelers a true taste of Portland right off the plane.

The airport wanted to create "more of that neighborhood feel that Portland is known for," said David Pfeiffer, senior manager of concession development at Port of Portland. Travelers can expect to find areas where retail and food vendors are mixed together instead of designated food courts or shopping areas. Surrounding these clusters will be common-area seating where passengers can enjoy their food.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
I actually saw this thread a few days ago. When people say "rumors are heating up", where are they getting these rumors from?! I want a source!

I just hope it comes to fruition. I'm planning a trip to Europe next year and I'd love to fly BA direct to Heathrow, assuming they'd start service in time. Otherwise I'd have to settle for Delta to Amsterdam.
SLC just landed a direct flight to Amsterdam. So, maybe PDX gets London?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:45 PM

Given that Salt Lake City is a hub for Delta, and Amsterdam for its partner KLM, I'm surprised there wasn't already a SLC-AMS flight.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:22 PM

Interesting diversion. Hawaiian Airlines Flight 51 from JFK to HNL. Flightaware says it was originally diverted to Pendleton, then diverted again to PDX without landing at Pendleton. Any airliner insiders here? Medical/mechanical emergency?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/HAL51

Can you imagine an A330 landing at Pendleton?

Edit: Found out it was a medical emergency.

Last edited by Derek; Aug 8, 2014 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 10:38 PM

I booked a flight on the PDX-PVR flight as soon as it was bookable.
Gives me an excuse to see some sunshine this winter.

I've said it a bunch, but PDX-LHR would be a dream.
At that point, I wouldn't even mind if PDX-AMS went away. As much as I use that flight, LHR makes sense for more connections, and it would be nice to fly BA compared to DL.

Anyway, time will tell. Fingers crossed for Spring 2015 on 788.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
I booked a flight on the PDX-PVR flight as soon as it was bookable.
Gives me an excuse to see some sunshine this winter.

I've said it a bunch, but PDX-LHR would be a dream.
At that point, I wouldn't even mind if PDX-AMS went away. As much as I use that flight, LHR makes sense for more connections, and it would be nice to fly BA compared to DL.

Anyway, time will tell. Fingers crossed for Spring 2015 on 788.

AMS is a pretty healthy route out of PDX. It was recently upgraded from a 332 to a 333 and I don't think the route is even subsidized anymore. That being said, I wouldn't mind trading Delta for British to LHR, although I think both can exist together.

NRT is interesting. I'm not sure about the statistics on that flight out of PDX other than it's flown with a 763. With Delta downsizing in the Pacific, I wouldn't mind losing NRT as long as a Japanese airline swooped in and picked it up. Or maybe even Korean/Asiana to Seoul (Asiana already has cargo flights from here to Seoul). I'll have to dig around for O/D statistics.

Last edited by Derek; Aug 17, 2014 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 5:43 AM
PearlHelp.com

Question, I thought the AMS flight was out of Seattle?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
Question, I thought the AMS flight was out of Seattle?
Portland has had direct service to Amsterdam since 2008, originally with Northwest. Delta kept the route.

Unfortunately that, and the economic collapse, killed Lufthansa's flights to Frankfurt.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 1:15 PM

Condor German Airlines to start nonstop Portland-Frankfurt, Germany flights

Portland-Germany flights to resume summer 2015!

2x weekly seasonal flights.

Flights start June 19, 2015

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...15-1943141.htm

September 02, 2014 11:43 ET

With Condor From Portland (PDX), Nonstop to Frankfurt (FRA), in Summer 2015
FRANKFURT AM MAIN, GERMANY--(Marketwired - Sep 2, 2014) - In Summer 2015, Condor Airlines will be flying from Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) to Portland (PDX). Flights will depart on Tuesdays and Fridays with a Boeing 767-300 starting June 19th. With the addition of Portland (PDX), besides Minneapolis (MSP), Providence (PVD) Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Las Vegas (LAS), Seattle (SEA), Anchorage (ANC), Calgary (YYC), Fairbanks (FAI), Halifax (YHZ), Toronto (YYZ), Vancouver (YVR) and Whitehorse (YXY), Condor Airlines is increasing its offer of destinations in North America. The flights can now be booked through all booking channels.

Frankfurt is a highly populated city in the center of Germany and the financial center of continental Europe. The densely populated "Rhine-Main Metropolitan Region" is the second largest metropolitan region in Germany. Located in the central western part of the country, this region stretches over parts of the states of Hesse, Bavaria and Rhineland-Palatinate. Major cities within this region include Frankfurt am Main, Mainz, Wiesbaden or Aschaffenburg. The region consists of a rich cultural landscape, offering everything from national museums, theatres, operas, pulsating nightlife and much more. Frankfurt is an excellent starting point for tours throughout Germany and Europe.

Portland is an important hub of Alaska Airlines. Easy connections with Alaska Airlines increases the frequency to Seattle with Condor to six days a week. "Condor flies non-stop to Seattle on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays," explains Jens Boyd, Head of Long-Haul at Condor. "Starting in Summer 2015, there will also be convenient connections between Portland and Seattle on Tuesdays and Fridays. With 27 Alaska Airlines flights a day, easy traveling with short waiting times is guaranteed."

Condor flights from Portland (PDX) to Frankfurt (FRA) can be booked online at condor.com or through any travel agent. Condor Airlines offers connecting flights from Frankfurt with partner airlines to many German and European destinations as well as "Rail and Fly" throughout Germany.

Condor Flugdienst GmbH has been flying passengers on vacation to the loveliest destinations in the world since 1956. Each year, Condor flies approximately seven million passengers to around 75 destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and America. Condor is the most popular German airline. Condor came out on top in a customer satisfaction survey run by the Deutsches Institut für Servicequalität (DISQ) in December 2012, and was the only airline to be rated "very good". Since March 1, 2013, the German airline Condor, together with the two airlines Thomas Cook Airlines UK and Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium, have been brought together in the Thomas Cook Airline Segment. The fleet of the Thomas Cook Group Airlines comprises 86 modern and eco-friendly aircraft, 38 of which come from the Condor fleet: twelve Airbus A320s, one Airbus A321, thirteen Boeing 757-300s and twelve Boeing 767-300s. The aircraft are maintained by the airlines own technical services.

Last edited by Tanaka07; Sep 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 6:50 PM

This is incredibly exciting!!

Does this hurt British Airways' chances of flying here though?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 8:31 PM

Quote:
This is incredibly exciting!!

Does this hurt British Airways' chances of flying here though?
Its only a seasonal 2x weekly June-September service. Really doubt this affects BA looking at PDX.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Its only a seasonal 2x weekly June-September service. Really doubt this affects BA looking at PDX.

I hope not!

If this route is successful on Condor, do you think Lufthansa could look at those numbers and potentially consider flying here year round again in the future?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:16 AM

Quote:
I hope not!

If this route is successful on Condor, do you think Lufthansa could look at those numbers and potentially consider flying here year round again in the future?
Possibly, but probably not. They serve two different markets, with Condor focusing on price-sensitive travelers taking vacations, while Lufthansa focuses on travel that provides a higher margin. Plus, with United's dwindling presence in the northwest (and therefore a lack of connecting passengers), I just don't see them coming back anytime soon.

A strange press release, though, as it plays up how it really increase the ease of getting to Seattle. It seems that if Fairbanks can support Condor service, PDX shouldn't have any trouble.

Still not a bad addition!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
I hope not!

Maybe, but it also shows that there is some solid demand from PDX to Europe. This could attract other carriers to the PDX-Europe market(BA, AF or Icelandair).

This flight will do very well. They will have feed from Alaska on the Portland side, Lufthansa feed from the Frankfurt side. They will have a VERY convenient, affordable schedule to points throughout Europe. Condor is also in the process of upgrading all their 767-300ER aircraft.

New interiors, lie flat business class seats, premium economy, touch screens in every seat. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSiyX4WLFV0

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0898 View Post
A strange press release, though, as it plays up how it really increase the ease of getting to Seattle. It seems that if Fairbanks can support Condor service, PDX shouldn't have any trouble.

Still not a bad addition!
They fly primarily to second class markets that have easy connections to regional flights. I could be wrong, but from what I know their model is to aim to make it cheap to fly internationally, and once you're in the destination country you connect to where you're going.

Overall this should be good for PDX, since it means more people transferring to domestic flights from international as well as more people flying in domestically to catch international flights.

More people flying through just helps the odds that other airlines will want to get involved in the long term.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure