HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 12:54 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Edmonton Public Transit II (October 2023)

This thread is to replace the previous thread which has reached 10,000 posts.

Current projects on the go:

Valley Line Southeast: Expected to open in November or December, 2023,
Valley Line West

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 2:57 PM
Community Guy

Going to out on a limb here and say that the Valley Line LRT will open December 1.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 8:12 PM

^ Lots of Train action downtown last night. Certainly seems like they are good to go.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 4:15 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton literally freezes over and they pair the announcement.

I don't make that shit up.

Good to see though.

---

Valley Line Southeast LRT opening November 4
October 24, 2023

The City of Edmonton is pleased to announce the Valley Line Southeast LRT will open for passenger service on Saturday, November 4. Service will begin at 5:15 a.m. at the Mill Woods stop and 102 Street stop downtown.

Valley Line Southeast has been independently certified by professional engineers, a safety auditor and an independent, professionally qualified, certifier. TransEd recently received a formal certificate from the independent certifier, indicating the infrastructure is complete and meets the requirements of the project agreement.

“I know many Edmontonians have been looking forward to opening day for the better part of two decades. Valley Line Southeast will offer an affordable and climate-friendly choice to move around our city for decades to come,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “I’m looking forward to riding the new line and seeing this project cross the finish line.”

The Valley Line Southeast is an integral part of achieving the City Plan, and will provide more accessible, convenient and sustainable travel options for Edmontonians over the coming decades. The City Plan aims for a future where 50 per cent of trips are made by transit and active transportation.

“Valley Line is the first completely new transit line to open in western Canada in a generation and will transform the way we move and experience our city,” said City Manager Andre Corbould. “While the project delays have been challenging for everyone, all parties have kept their focus on one thing - providing a safe, reliable service for Edmontonians.”

Leading up to the opening of the line, TransEd will be conducting final operational exercises along the alignment to ensure their train operators and Control Centre staff are prepared to handle standard operational challenges encountered by all transit agencies. Over the coming weeks, TransEd will also be completing final work like curbs, landscaping and maintenance—this work does not affect the safe operation of the system.

“This has been a long journey, with challenges and detours, but we’re confident in the system we’ve built. Our focus has always been, and will continue to be, delivering a safe, reliable system to Edmontonians,” said TransEd Partners CEO, Ronald Joncas. “We’re excited to welcome passengers onboard these brand new trains.”

As opening day approaches, Edmontonians are asked to be mindful of their surroundings and obey all traffic signs and signals. If you see tracks, expect a train. The City of Edmonton also asks for patience during the early days of service. All transit systems encounter occasional operational challenges, especially as riders adapt to new infrastructure, travel patterns and behaviours.

A formal grand opening ceremony will be held in 2024 with funding partners, City officials and others after the system has been in service for a number of months.

Hours of Operations and Fares

The Valley Line Southeast will have the same hours of operations as Capital Line and Metro Line:

From the 102 Street stop, service will begin at 5:15 a.m. seven days a week.
From the Mill Woods stop, service will begin at 5:00 a.m. Monday - Friday, and 5:15 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Final trains depart 102 Street stop and Mill Woods stop at 1 a.m. Monday - Saturday, and 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

Specific stop schedules will be available, through trip planning tools, closer to opening day.

Transit fares and tickets are the same as the existing transit network. Standard monthly and yearly passes are accepted, and reloadable Arc cards and single-use Arc tickets can be purchased at Arc fare vending machines at all stops and stations. Arc offers payment by cash, debit or credit card. Arc fare must be activated by “tapping on” and “tapping off” using the Arc validators. For more information on Arc, visit myArc.ca. For information about where to buy ETS paper products, visit edmonton.ca/ETSwheretobuy.

Public Input

Public input has played an essential role in shaping the Valley Line, from the identification of the alignment in 2009, to the completion of preliminary design in 2013. Thousands of Edmontonians were engaged through workshops, meetings, online consultations and open houses. The City also established Citizen Working Groups in five distinct zones along the LRT alignment to keep impacted communities informed during the project.

A special thank you goes to everyone who has taken time to provide ongoing input and support to bring this project to life.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/ValleyLineSoutheast
Valley Line Southeast Fact Sheet

Media contact:
Jyllian Park
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-554-9001

Last edited by Coldrsx; Oct 24, 2023 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 4:33 PM
A Better Place

About time, praise be. Hopefully they offer free rides on opening day, it's the least they can do for us.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 4:49 PM
Community Guy

For the rest of the year would be nice to get things going...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 6:40 PM

^ When was the original opening supposed to be - 2020?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 7:32 PM

Wow. I actually can't believe it. Now that it looks like this is a reality, let's hope it runs smoothly and that there's enough security to make it safe for riders. I'll be there on opening day; I live about a 15 min walk from Mill Woods stop. (Not sure if it'll be at 5am, though....)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 8:53 PM

^ makes you want to believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.

Miracles do happen.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 8:58 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ When was the original opening supposed to be - 2020?
Dec 2020.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 10:04 PM

just shy of 3 years late. Did it start 2016? I dont remember exactly. Hard to believe such a long delay in a project that was just meant to be 4ish years

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 11:10 PM

Given TransEd's incompetence, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some other deficiencies to deal with for the next few years. Still, I'm glad it's finally about to be opened!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:51 AM

^ Is the same cast of characters doing the western leg of this line?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:57 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ Is the same cast of characters doing the western leg of this line?
Nope. Marigold is a different consortium.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:44 PM

Sounds like 10 minute frequency instead of 5 minutes.

Need more testing.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:47 PM

^I dont think it was ever meant to do 5 minute frequency? I could be wrong, but i remember that being one of its limitations right from the start. The best it could was 10. Or maybe it was 5. This was all so long ago i nearly forgot about this line...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:51 PM

Will they be cutting any bus routes after the new LRT line opens up?

I was also wondering if anyone happens to know what the estimated ridership will be and how many cars, Valley Line Southeast is expected to remove from the roads?

Last edited by YEG-Urbanist; Oct 25, 2023 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:25 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
^I dont think it was ever meant to do 5 minute frequency? I could be wrong, but i remember that being one of its limitations right from the start. The best it could was 10. Or maybe it was 5. This was all so long ago i nearly forgot about this line...
5 minutes is the eventual peak hour frequency for the line, but they don't want to go all of the way at the start in case of technical issues (or something). They cited the issues with opening Ottawa's LRT as one of the reasons why they want to ease into it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 8:10 PM

This is great news! Literally door to door for Remembrance day for me! Stoked

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 12:28 AM
Community Guy

Best opening music for this discussion ever.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...boarding=false

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton