HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

Anyone going to the 84th running of the Canadian Derby? Such a fun time, out of town this year but I encourage you all to dress up and go.

http://www.northlands.com/84th-canadian-derby

DRESS TO IMPRESS This is one fashion event where you can go all out. Don't worry about overdressing at a Derby. Beautiful dresses for women and well-tailored suits for men are key to this soiree.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:46 PM
Community Guy

THE 27TH EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL - SEPT 26 TO OCT 5, 2013

EIFF 2013 / ABOUT US
Our philosophy.
The Edmonton International Film Festival... international, independent and eye-opening. Our Festival is about 'discovery'. We strive to uncover cinematic gems and celebrate unique new voices in independent filmmaking. EIFF is about films and the people who make them.

Just a couple hours drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains, Edmonton is THE heart of the Canadian Prairies, the northernmost big city in North America. And with a population of more than one million people, this is a city that loves movies.

For nine days each autumn, Edmontonians feast on all things cinematic. It's a veritable buffet of the best new indie filmmaking from around the globe. Our schedule includes 55 feature-length slots, and 110 short films programmed into feature-length packages. All films screened at EIFF must be Edmonton premieres.

http://www.edmontonfilmfest.com

---------

Highly recommend the lunchbox shorts or the 6-pack

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 8:58 PM

Burrito Libre is now open on 104ave.

Also notice the west end Moxies is now closed and being converted into a Hooters. Does that mean that Hooters is moving out of the Mall.

And Lastly the Mark is still fine dinning. loved the meal and service Monday.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Burrito Libre is now open on 104ave.
Went there the other night at around 8:30 or so...I was pleasantly surprised to see how busy it was. Pretty much a carbon copy of mucho burrito, but a great new option in an area that is starved for cheap and fast evening options considering the fairly dense residential population

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:30 AM

I noticed that Burrito Libre took over the KFC that was across from Safeway. I'll miss that KFC - the only central location remaining for the dirty bird is the City Centre Mall food court, and now the closest location is 111 Ave/124 St.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:14 PM
Community Guy

Hit up Common's patio last night for some sticky ribs, one of the most delicious sesame glazes I have ever had. I do wish the kale was fresh and not deep fried though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:59 PM

Interior shot of new Jasper Ave Cactus Club

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:04 PM
Community Guy

Such a great addition to the Ave. It is going to being a lot of people to that area.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:14 PM
Urbis Maximus

^That it certainly will.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:49 PM

Looking at the amount of heaters that were installed, you could roast a chicken in January on the patio. If they install one of those clear curtains like in Vancouver I can see the patio being used most fall and spring seasons.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:36 PM
Community Guy

^yup... and good on them to see the gap in the patio market.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:15 PM
Urban Advocate

Hit up Zinc last night with the TW. Very impressed. Started with the scallops and some drinks. I had the duck with some nice pinot, she had the salmon. Very delicious, and well done. Would love to see them do well, but I wonder if their location has been a bit of a detriment?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:19 PM
Community Guy

^the lack of street interaction/patio/dark glass is one of the real failures of the AGA.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 12:33 PM

In that picture of Cactus, it does not look like you can even get into those seats. Unless they assume all their clients will be as skinny as their servers.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:23 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
In that picture of Cactus, it does not look like you can even get into those seats. Unless they assume all their clients will be as skinny as their servers.
Wendy's is only a few blocks away.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:14 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
With luck, plus men sit on the patio or at the wood.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:58 PM

http://sodajerksrestaurant.com/Food---Drink-Menu.html

Hit up a new Burger Place in St Albert last night. Soda Jerks Buggers and Bottles; this is in the Old Soda Jerks location the place that changes every couple of years.
Service was a tad slow but the burgers were quite good. Portions were quite large as well. The best part is the Build your own Burger. Mine was Marbled Rye Bread, Garlic Mayo, Dijon mustard, Caramelized onions Blue cheese and fresh greens. MW had a build your own Dawg with pretty much everything on it.
Beer on tap was all local. Alley Cat, Yellowhead and Hogs Head.
This is definitely not a kid’s burger place; as soon as you open the menu you see milk shakes with adult ingredients. That and the Guinness floats.
One thing that did shock me was the young guys at the table across from us Shot Gunning cans of Old Milwaukie. But I noticed it on the menu. MW wants to try it next time.
We will go back because the food was good.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:09 PM
Community Guy

^wait until Jack's from Slave Lake opens up next week or so... Best burgers I have had in AB.

https://www.facebook.com/JacksBurgerShack

15 Perron St, Saint Albert, Alberta
http://www.jacksburgershack.ca

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:20 PM

That street is becoming St Alberts Eat Street.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

^I will bike up there to meet you for burgers and beer and then bus home

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton