HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I'll be in your fine city in a couple of days. Where is there a good place for breakfast?
Depends on which part the city you are in, but here are a few of my favs:

Downtown - Blue Plate Diner

South Central - High Level Diner or Sugar Bowl

Westend - Hap's Hungry House (a very old school breakfast joint)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:29 PM
Urban Advocate

Transend on 99th just south of Argyll is supposed to have the best Chai (and coffee) in the city I hear. A little off the 'retail' path, but worth the trip from St. Albert for a friend of mine...so it might be worth checking out.

Hap's, eh? I might need to check that one out, although I am rarely on the westside.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
I'll be in your fine city in a couple of days. Where is there a good place for breakfast?
If you're here on a Sunday, my favourite place is the Blue Chair Cafe, on 76 Ave and 96 St. It's a great neighbourhood restaurant with live music (who doesn't love a string quartet with breakfast?) great local art on the walls and fabulous Eggs Benedict. Plus it's walking distance from my house! I love my neighbourhood!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 4:33 PM
Urban Advocate

Better Eggs Benny then another place close to you on 99th that claims to have the best in the city?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Better Eggs Benny then another place close to you on 99th that claims to have the best in the city?
I haven't been to Barb & Ernie's in a few years so I can't say for sure, but Blue Chair definitely has a more laid-back vibe than B&E's. I'd say it's a nicer place to linger and enjoy an extra cup of coffee after your meal, especially when they've got live music going on.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 1:41 AM

I'll try the blue chair then. Perhaps transend for chai. Thanks alot. P.S, I love that river valley.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 4:09 AM
Urban Advocate

/\ I'm still a fan of Remedy until I try Transcend first hand...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 5:04 PM

I went to friends and neighbours cafe on whyte. Had a great italian eggs benedict. Right now I am typing this in a second cup in front of your city centre mall.(102 and 102) on my htc phone. The ped. mall was interesting. The area somewhat reminds me of the promenade behind portage place in wpg. Even in the recession, edm. is still bustleing. The only complaint, so few of the streets have lines painted. Hard to drive in the night, and the rain. Saw the esks/bombers game (I was the loud abnoxious bomber fan in the gold stegall jersey). had a great time. Not one fan threw anything at me. In fact, I had more things thrown at me at bomber home games ( even while cheering for the bombers!). Great fans and great city. I commend you.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 8:01 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Thanks for your perspective Dennis. And I would agree, some of the streets need their lines repainted.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 9:51 PM

I don't recall the street number, but is the pedestrian mall in downtowna daily thing?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 10:00 PM

do you mean 104st with the outdoor farmers' market? there is a lot of old brick buildings and new condos, so if you don't recall them then no.

if you mean 104st it's every saturday from 9am-3pm. from may-october. i wouldn't call it a ped mall though.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 1:25 AM
Business Is Usual

Just to go back to the 104th street market, I was there today and man was it packed. Awesome place to pick up some awesome food / goods and have a bite while you are there and enjoy some street music. I recommend the Medicine Man Bison burgers for those of you who aren't vegetarians etc....

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 12:39 PM

It probably was 104 st, with new highrise condos and old brick buildings. Just to the west of city centre mall. I was there on saturday. It was a busy place.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 3:54 PM
Urban Advocate

Eggs Benny at New York Bagel Cafe = awesome. Their little patio to the side is pretty slick too. A little pricy, but great food.

Sushi - Finally ate at Furusato on Whyte. Good sushi. Not A+++, but one of the better places in the city. For the dollar value and quality of sushi, I still think I Love Sushi is the best bet. Not the best in the city... just a cheap price for good sushi.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
It probably was 104 st, with new highrise condos and old brick buildings. Just to the west of city centre mall. I was there on saturday. It was a busy place.
Yes it 'tis ... I think Whyte Avenue is one of the few places that is actually busier.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 4:33 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Eggs Benny at New York Bagel Cafe = awesome. Their little patio to the side is pretty slick too. A little pricy, but great food.

Sushi - Finally ate at Furusato on Whyte. Good sushi. Not A+++, but one of the better places in the city. For the dollar value and quality of sushi, I still think I Love Sushi is the best bet. Not the best in the city... just a cheap price for good sushi.

the only place that comes close imo is kobe westside, although i ruv sushi has the cheapest and best spicy tuna maki

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
the only place that comes close imo is kobe westside, although i ruv sushi has the cheapest and best spicy tuna maki
My wife and I hit I Love Sushi on Friday night. Spicy tuna cones are the best. Man, I miss working around the corner from that place and being able to go there for lunch.

Someone should tell them they need to be open for lunch on Saturday. We tried to go a couple weeks ago after the farmer's market and found they only open at 5 on Saturday. There are enough people around downtown now and they have great visibility from the park.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco View Post
I recommend the Medicine Man Bison burgers for those of you who aren't vegetarians etc....
Second that. Had one the last time I was at the FM. It was fantastic...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 2:40 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Speichert View Post
My wife and I hit I Love Sushi on Friday night. Spicy tuna cones are the best. Man, I miss working around the corner from that place and being able to go there for lunch.

Someone should tell them they need to be open for lunch on Saturday. We tried to go a couple weeks ago after the farmer's market and found they only open at 5 on Saturday. There are enough people around downtown now and they have great visibility from the park.
I was there today for lunch and oh how good it is. And yes, they totally should be open for lunch on Saturday....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:28 PM

Just one measly photo of 104th street from my trip. Sorry about the size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton