HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etown View Post
Ive gone a couple of times and that has been my experience as well. Good food - terrible service. We took guests from out of town last time and it was embarrassing. I won't be back.
I used to go quite regularly as the food was fantastic. We were there a few weeks ago and things just seemed a little off...service was worse than usual, food was a little different, etc. In speaking with our server - it turns out that the ownership has recently changed, and everything became clear.

It used to be one of my favorites - now I question whether I will return...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

checked out 'black sheep pub' last night

not bad

kind like if the pint and black dog had a kid

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 5:08 PM
DRINK

/\ you took the words right out of my mouth.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 8:13 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Cold, glad you managed to check out the Black Sheep last night.

And yes, it's more or less like Black Dog/Pint hybrid.

While I've already been to that place a few times before, I didn't really go there last night, as I was a bit tired. I had a b-day dinner earlier last night at the Keg in SEC (sounds damn far, but my sister lives way down in the southern 'burbs of Edmonton!) and later had a few pints at the Brewsters near Century Park before taking the LRT back up north. I hadn't been to a Keg in Alberta in quite awhile - ironically, until last night, I've been to the Keg only in Metro Vancouver in recent years. I wasn't disappointed at all last night, as both the food and the service were pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 4:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bassnectar Edmonton Events Centre ??

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 5:36 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Lorin Bassnectar has been here several times before, almost coming on a semi-monthly basis back in 2005-2007. Never been really into his music, but there is a following here.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 11:38 PM

I was dissapointed with Black Sheep (foodwise), had the Chorizo Club, definatly wouldn't order it again.

Good deals on beer, $4 pints on some nights, any beer.

I would go back to have some beers/watch the game, but probably stick to the wings.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Lorin Bassnectar has been here several times before, almost coming on a semi-monthly basis back in 2005-2007. Never been really into his music, but there is a following here.
just curious if anyone was going got a part time gig shooting just need to find more gigs o well i should be in edmonton in late november aparently

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 2:56 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRan View Post
I was dissapointed with Black Sheep (foodwise), had the Chorizo Club, definatly wouldn't order it again.

Good deals on beer, $4 pints on some nights, any beer.

I would go back to have some beers/watch the game, but probably stick to the wings.
yup... that place has never had very good food, whatever the name.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 8:00 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Tried the wings at the Black Sheep a week ago, but while they were nice and large (I couldn't even finish all 10!), they were a bit on the dry side like they'd been in the oven a bit too long. I've never had anything from the main course, but I've had the potstickers from the appy menu, but nothing wow about them.

I tried the wings at Overtime last night - and they are better-tasting and moister than what Black Sheep offers, IMO. In fact, they were some of the tastiest I've had in quite awhile.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 2:43 AM
HVAC guru

Wildflower Grill

It was my birthday on friday so my honey took me out to the Wildflower Grill on 107st at the Matrix.

The place has a very nice contemporary atmosphere. The service was absolutely impecable, I have never had such good service in any restaurant, anywhere. Had bison tenderloin with a garden salad to start, once again impecable. The wine list was fantastic and we were even treated to a few little extras brought to our table by the chef.

I don't do fine dining often but this was an exemplary experience. I don't know what the tab was but it was worth whatever it cost. 5/5

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 2:50 AM
Community Guy

^I agree. The couple of times I have been there the ambiance and service were top notch. Food is quite good but smaller portions.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 10:21 PM
So very tired...

Couple friends and I stopped at The Junction on Wednesday. Two of us had burgers, and yeah...they were great, I also had the Bacon Mozza. The other guy had the turkey clubhouse and said it was the best clubhouse he ever had.

And yes, the server was very friendly and attended to us very well.

Recommend for casual lunch or beer and burger anytime.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:05 AM

Bistro Praha to reopen in Empire Building

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...355/story.html

Doesn't say which space. The Vietnamese restaurant? Quiznos? the employment temp agency? The old restaurant space down at the LRT level, where Genghis Grill used to be?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:38 PM
Community Guy

^^great to hear!

Interesting for I was told they had worked things out with Icon II.

Empire Building will be good as well, although not as nice a setting.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 5:48 AM
Community Guy

So 'Corso32' on jasper and 103st is another venture by Daniel Costa.

He hits on the head one element of Edmonton that is just starting to evolve and grow but currently lacking...

"Restaurants should be the new nightlife. When you’re older, don’t go to a club. Why does everyone have to eat at six, watch lost at eight and then go to bed!? Go out to a restaurant; socialize, drink and eat till midnight. That’s what we are going to try and do at Corso. We want that crowd of people that want to experience life and culture, and eat a great meal."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:57 AM

Don't know if its been mentioned already but there is an opening soon sign in the old Mirabelle? (i think this is the one that was on 109st). Its for a restaurant called pampa. No website yet but all i found were job postings for a Brazilian Churrascaria... Not sure if it will be like the ones in Brazil where sometimes you pay by weight and other times they just put a huge skillet of meat in front of you and charge you for what you eat or a set price like a buffet...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 7:48 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Bistro Praha to reopen in Empire Building

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...355/story.html

Doesn't say which space. The Vietnamese restaurant? Quiznos? the employment temp agency? The old restaurant space down at the LRT level, where Genghis Grill used to be?
The Vietnamese restaurant (A Garden aka The Moon Garden).

That Vietnamese place is already shut down, with the windows covered with white paper on the inside, stating that Bistro Praha is supposed open this December.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:00 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
Don't know if its been mentioned already but there is an opening soon sign in the old Mirabelle? (i think this is the one that was on 109st). Its for a restaurant called pampa. No website yet but all i found were job postings for a Brazilian Churrascaria... Not sure if it will be like the ones in Brazil where sometimes you pay by weight and other times they just put a huge skillet of meat in front of you and charge you for what you eat or a set price like a buffet...
AWESOME... so the rumours were true.

I hope it is off of a large sword.

That should be a nice addition to the spectrum of downtown offerings.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 6:07 AM

i read it wrong...it says opening early 2011...not soon. Same thing i guess though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton