HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

505 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Nashville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 5:21 AM

Ok folks.....get real.....

1) The Pinnacle recently sold for a hefty price because it is a money maker and it will be full 'soon', so forget about how much is leased 'today'
2) The proposed Gulch Crossings site has had activity lately. If that is built, that could add a small amount of Class A office space, maybe 5+ floors?
3) The proposed Eakin tower would add 20 floors of space...and there is very little rumors about it (but I REALLY look forward to this being built)
4) The West End Summit is a go and should have several 100,000 square feet of "extra" space available for lease in 2015 - not to mention other developers trying to obtain lots next to this site for further development

So Tony will need a major client to anchor this. There are few companies in the Nashville area today that could consume that amount of space....in downtown. I wish him the best of luck and hope he succeeds.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 1:48 PM

Another article on the FAA approving the height increase. This one says it was approved up to 770ft tall. Anyway's here is the article.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-to-build.html

Giarratana gets FAA OK to build Nashville's tallest building
Quote:
The Federal Aviation Administration has granted additional air space for Tony Giarratana's proposed 505 CST tower downtown, Nashville Post reports.

Giarratana Development unveiled plans for a 605-foot mixed-use tower at 505 Church St., where Giarratana once planned his Signature Tower, in 2011.

According to the Post, the FAA has approved enough air space to allow the proposed tower to reach 770 feet tall. For comparison, downtown's tallest structure, the AT&T Building, reaches 617 feet.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I'm reeling from my father's untimely passing; and using these forums as an escape hatch, if only for a bit, is one of the few respites I have right now.
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss...
Quote:
Hope this makes sense. It's been a horrid day...never mind the past 2 1/2 weeks.
Yes, it makes sense now, thanks for clarifying. It would definitely be more slender if it has a height increase. Honestly I'm in love with this tower at 605ft, so if it ends up being 750ft+ that's more than fine with me.

I just want this thing to get off the ground, and soon. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_TN View Post
Ok folks.....get real.....

Tony will need a major client to anchor this. There are few companies in the Nashville area today that could consume that amount of space....in downtown. I wish him the best of luck and hope he succeeds.
All it takes is one decent sized company in the country looking to relocate to a more business friendly city 'like Nashville' to get this done. That's not so far fetched considering how hot Nashville is right now and how much companies are wanting to do business here.

Stay positive my friend. This has a better chance then you would think...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
All it takes is one decent sized company in the country looking to relocate to a more business friendly city 'like Nashville' to get this done. That's not so far fetched considering how hot Nashville is right now and how much companies are wanting to do business here.

Stay positive my friend. This has a better chance then you would think...
Agreed. I recognized the tone after I posted. One Nissan, etc. sized company wants a new office downtown and Bam! Craneville!

JayPro - my deepest sympathies

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 7:39 PM

Well...Some good news and some bad news to report depending on how you look at it.

I'll start with the bad news first.

Some members on UP attended a Civic Design Center forum last night in which the developer of 505 CST (Tony Giarratana) and the architect for the project (Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill ) were in attendance. At this meeting two new designs were presented for the project. One is a residential tower, the other a mixed-use tower. The reason this is bad news (atleast to me anyways) is because the original design was absolutely stunning and unique compared to most other skyscrapers we typically see here in Nashville, and most other cities as well. Not to mention that it was aiming for a LEED platinum rating which would have made it the 2nd tallest office tower of it's kind in the country.

I only have pictures of one of the new renders at this time, but soon as I get ahold of the other one I'll share that as well. The one I'm posting below I believe is the residential tower, and not the mixed-use one.

This new design isn't bad or anything, but IMO it is a step backwards in terms of the design quality compared to the original office tower design. So basically that is the bad news.

The good news is that both of the new designs are taller than the original office tower proposal. The original 505 CST design was at 605ft. These two new designs are both 750ft+

This is what was said about the other new design (mixed-use tower) that I haven't been able to get a picture of yet, so you will have to just use your imagination for now. The way it was described it almost sounds kind of like the Trump tower in Chicago.
Quote:
The third mixed use building has a step up that is in three parts topping at the new height of 750 ft with retail all along 5th ave and also on church st with a large plaza to mirror the 5th/3rd building plaza.
It was said that all three of the designs were on the table, so that is a positve thing for sure as it still leaves the door open for the possibility of the original design to be built.

So with all that said...Here is one of the new designs presented.

and the original design...

Me personally, I would much rather have the original office tower design at 605' than the new residential tower design at 750', but that just me.

Hopefully the new mixed-use design is a stunner.

So on to some other good news that came from the meeting.

One of the people attending had asked a person from metro planning about the plans for the old convention center site, and this is how that conversatin went. I'll just quote that as well...
Quote:
I asked her about plans for the old convention center site, she eluded to there being a very tall building for that site. She picked up the 505 building model and placed it on the corner near commerce st. and 5th ave and said wouldn't that be nice. Everybody around just looked at one another waiting for her to confirm but instead she said the proposal should be coming soon.
So it looks like we might be getting another very tall tower in the near future out of the old convention center site.

Previous renderings for the old convention center site showed multiple mixed-use towers with a new house of blues museum.

For anyone curious, here are those renderings.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 8:22 PM

Thanks for this update. The original 505 design is awesome and I'm sure we'd all be a bit disappointed to see it replaced, but: a) it sounds like nothing is firmly decided about the design, and b) Smith is obviously in the front rank of architects, so any design he puts forward will surely be pretty good. It's great that they're talking about extra height.

The real good news here, I think, is that this conversation is even taking place, and in public no less. That must mean the various players think this project isn't a farfetched proposal based on wishful thinking, but has a decent shot at actually happening. Right?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 8:44 PM

Having visited Nashville twice, in 2001 & 2008, it's very exciting to see some awesome construction and new builds happening downtown! Can't wait to get back sometime again soon.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 8:58 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
Thanks for this update. The original 505 design is awesome and I'm sure we'd all be a bit disappointed to see it replaced, but: a) it sounds like nothing is firmly decided about the design, and b) Smith is obviously in the front rank of architects, so any design he puts forward will surely be pretty good. It's great that they're talking about extra height.

The real good news here, I think, is that this conversation is even taking place, and in public no less. That must mean the various players think this project isn't a farfetched proposal based on wishful thinking, but has a decent shot at actually happening. Right?
Yeah, the fact that Smith is still associated with the design of whatever tower if proposed at the lot is a good sign that it will be strong architecturally. The fact that this is all being discussed where the public can see the progress is also a good sign; not necessarily because the public influence will have a large impact on what goes on here, but because Tony G is confident enough that he can develop this property. IMO if this lot were all quiet (Palmer at WES), then we would have a legitimate reason to be worried that it would never be anything other than a parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Yeah, the fact that Smith is still associated with the design of whatever tower if proposed at the lot is a good sign that it will be strong architecturally. The fact that this is all being discussed where the public can see the progress is also a good sign; not necessarily because the public influence will have a large impact on what goes on here, but because Tony G is confident enough that he can develop this property. IMO if this lot were all quiet (Palmer at WES), then we would have a legitimate reason to be worried that it would never be anything other than a parking lot.
Excellent points! Both of these comments make me feel a lot more postive about this news. I'm not as big of a fan of residential towers as I am of sleek office towers, (balconies and window treatments always seem to kill the looks) but from what I'm seeing in that model, it's looking pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Having visited Nashville twice, in 2001 & 2008, it's very exciting to see some awesome construction and new builds happening downtown! Can't wait to get back sometime again soon.

A lot has changed since 2008, especially in the Sobro area. You would probablly be shocked at how much that part of downtown has transformed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:04 PM

Two alternator design revealed

The two alternate designs we've heard about are now out. I like them both, but obviously lean more towards the mixed-use tower. Both top out at 750ft.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../2047/business

Option 1 mixed-use

Option 2 residential

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:50 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

These are both sharp. I loved the original design for 505, but there are solid, and with the additional height its making the loss of the original design not too bad at all. Hopefully the mixed use tower will be the on that Tony G ultimately decides on, I think it would be much easier for him to get a mixed use tower off the ground, but that's just speculation.

In any case, it's good to see some form of activity from Tony G...I'm just hoping and wondering about SoBro right now.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 2:53 AM

I'm hoping the mixed-use tower is chosen as well. It definitely makes me forget all about the original design. Lol!

It's a stunning building and it's height alone gives it the automatic hands down choice in my book.

The residential tower is gorgeous...In fact, it's one of the nicest residential towers I've ever seen. I love what they did with the balconies to give it that sleek look. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is how skinny it is. A tower like that really needs another tall tower right next to it so it doesn't look like a toothpick sticking out of the skyline, and that's how I'm afraid it would look like in the Nashville skyline if it was built.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:58 AM
Meh

That original design was so much better. I hope they go with it. That original design could be a landmark tower anywhere, but in Nashville it would be amazing. Those other two designs are nice, but they're pretty basic really and would be filler buildings in any big skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:13 PM

^Yeah, the original design was very nice. Plus all the technology designed into it would have made it special. But I don't see how either one of these new 750ft designs could be categorized as "filler buildings", no matter what city they are in. That's just silly...

These two new proposals are sleek, cutting edge, modern, and designed by one of the top architects in the world. I really don't know of any other towers anywhere that even resemble these designs. I would say that makes them a little more than "pretty basic"...

Anyway's...Here are a few better and different renders.

Last edited by MIRYDI; Nov 29, 2013 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:20 PM

^those are no filler buildings those are some icons !

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 6:38 PM

The curve at the corner and appearance of the glass in the rendering give the mixed-use tower a sort of Wells Fargo Plaza in Houston feeling to it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 7:27 PM

Tony Giarratana has sold a 0.8 acres of this site to MDHA for a large parking garage. He is planning the proposed all-residential tower for the remaining 0.4 acres of the site. There would be 1,156 spaces in the parking garage which would be enough to accommodate a future residential tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...kyscraper.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 12:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Developer Makes New Push To Build Nashville Skyscraper

Quote:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A developer wanting to build what would become Nashville’s tallest skyscraper said he’s hoping to get financial help from the Federal Government.

Developer Tony Giarratana has made a new push to build a 60-story tower, 505 CST, at 505 Church Street.

The proposed building would be taller than the AT&T Building, also known as the “Batman building.”

The Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency has planned to meet later on in the month and is being asked to approve a $12.5 million loan, of sorts, to Giarratana.

The building will most likely be the home to condos and luxury apartments.
==================================
Oct 8, 2014
http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news...278607501.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Oh please let it be the original design!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive